TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SC Buildout vesus local/state electric utility ramifications

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by AudubonB, Sep 27, 2013.

1. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

This is a ramble of inchoate thoughts:

When looking at the state of SC openings as of end 3Q 2013 and against TM's buildout plans, it appears that some states have fared very well and others very badly. I am wondering if TM has run into roadblocks that could be the result of some particular state's/region's grid provider.

For example, in ARIZONA, despite its proximity to CA and TX - where SC proliferation has excelled - there is not yet a single SC installed or, according to the forum members here from that state, much headway has occurred with permitting/construction. Concurrently, that state's dominant elec. utility, APS, has been at the vanguard of fomenting discord re the current situation with solar backfeed into "their" grid.

Might this be related? Are others in other states where SCs have as yet seemingly gotten nowhere also having rumblings from their utility companies wrt backfed electric and the rates offered?

2. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#2 PhilBa, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    I'm sure utilities, local regulations and permitting processes are a factor but suspect that Tesla is targeting areas with higher ownership first. I believe the biggest factor holding up actual intended SC sites is difficulty negotiating with owners/rights holders. Elon said something about how easy it was in Norway negotiating for the rights to put in SCs - I think it was "I wish they were all that easy" but I could be mistaken.

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

The fact of the matter is that for the most part Tesla really hasn't started installing photovoltaic arrays to any meaningful extent, so utilies' position regarding grid connection aspects are not currently a factor in siting Supercharger stations.

I agree with Phil that ownership density is the main factor dictating the initial Supercharger roll-out.

Larry

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

If that is the case - and I am sure those of you who have said so are correct - that means that TM is a bog-standard electricity consumer for any particular location's utility company? I was wondering if they had, perhaps, a SoCal, Nevada or Ariz desert solar farm that they were expanding upon and using to offset, in effect, consumption at the growing number of SuperChargers.

Part of that reasoning is because, about four months ago I think, Goldman Sachs announced they were creating (or buying into) a massive solar field in some undisclosed Mojave Desert site.