Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC finally found the rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
For over 6 months had a rattle coming from inside the dash, it would roll around during hard turns etc...I thought it was a screw behind the center screen but it turns out a small rock was in the vent, can't wait to hear how a rock got past the filters & made its way to the vent when I pick up the car later today.

20150605_174941.jpg

Haha, I would have suspected a screw as well.

Apparently the "IONIZER" doesn't blast rocks to bits. But, yeah it should have got caught by the filter.

I have a dash rattle too on a brand new 70D. It happens over certain pavement types. It's like something isn't insulated from another part so it just vibrates. It's something that should have been caught before delivery, but they put so few miles on a delivered car that there is no way they'd find it unless they put the entire car on a road surface simulator. I should have test drove it before accepting it, but it was so beautiful I had to get it home.

There is no way I'd last 6 months. I'd go completely mad and drive it over the cliff before I made it to 6 months.

Can't wait till our camera phones have an x-ray mode to see though plastic to detect where something is vibrating.

Haha, I would have suspected a screw as well.

Apparently the "IONIZER" doesn't blast rocks to bits. But, yeah it should have got caught by the filter.

I have a dash rattle too on a brand new 70D. It happens over certain pavement types. It's like something isn't insulated from another part so it just vibrates. It's something that should have been caught before delivery, but they put so few miles on a delivered car that there is no way they'd find it unless they put the entire car on a road surface simulator. I should have test drove it before accepting it, but it was so beautiful I had to get it home.

There is no way I'd last 6 months. I'd go completely mad and drive it over the cliff before I made it to 6 months.

Can't wait till our camera phones have an x-ray mode to see though plastic to detect where something is vibrating.
My car doesn't have the IONIZER...its pre EVERYTHING :mad:.

Coming up on 2 years & there hasn't been a day without a rattle, creak, clunk or weird problem, it took 11 months to finally stop the wind noise from the Pano.

I have a dash rattle too on a brand new 70D. It happens over certain pavement types. It's like something isn't insulated from another part so it just vibrates. It's something that should have been caught before delivery, but they put so few miles on a delivered car that there is no way they'd find it unless they put the entire car on a road surface simulator.
They do have road surface simulators at the end of the production line, I've seen them on the Nat Geo and How it's Made videos. They're indoors inside the factory however, not sure if it's quiet enough to hear a rattle... guess not ??

They do have road surface simulators at the end of the production line, I've seen them on the Nat Geo and How it's Made videos. They're indoors inside the factory however, not sure if it's quiet enough to hear a rattle... guess not ??

I'm pretty sure they don't run every car over those, maybe just a sampling of vehicles off the line.

- - - Updated - - -

My car doesn't have the IONIZER...its pre EVERYTHING :mad:.

Coming up on 2 years & there hasn't been a day without a rattle, creak, clunk or weird problem, it took 11 months to finally stop the wind noise from the Pano.

My car is about as old as yours and my VIN is 16186. Knock wood, but my car had only two rattles that were easily addressed and my wind noise was fixed in one service visit while they were taking care of other things. I'm sorry for your experience, but mine has been the opposite.

... I have a dash rattle too on a brand new 70D. It happens over certain pavement types. It's like something isn't insulated from another part so it just vibrates....

I wonder if we have the same issue.

On my relatively new 85, over certain pavement, I get a slight vibrating rattle/buzz. First, I blamed it on Baltimore's terrible roads but it's happened a couple other places. The pavement needs to be relatively even, meaning no bumps or holes or dips, but just coarse enough that there is moderate road vibration transferred to the car.

After some experimentation (and probably unsafe driving positions...) I think that I've tracked it down, not to the dash (where it sounded like it was coming from initially), but to the 12V cover or the new little grille near where the USB ports are. I can muss around with that area, applying pressure in different places and get the sound to subside.

I haven't come up with a permanent solution yet, but it doesn't present itself in my daily commute so often it's not on my mind.

I've visited the Hamtramck Plant in Detroit, where the Volt is made. EVERY vehicle that is produced there goes over the rumble strips at the end of the production line.

Those "rumble strips" are actually used to settle the suspension. And for those uninformed my two Volts (2012 and 2103) are as tight and quiet as ANY car made anywhere by any manufacture. And willing to offer test drives to prove it.

If if in the St Louis area and want to take me up on my offer let me know.