Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC Install of Homelink at Pickup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sit here anxiously awaiting my MY LR AWD MSM 20" Tow. Heck, I'm still waiting on my VIN for three weeks and counting....but this post isn't about that. I ordered my Homelink at tie of order and I am staring at this bo, unopened, of course, in my house. That came immediately! Has anyone had any success, upon learning of a delivery date, scheduling the Homelink install while picking up the vehicle at the SC? I figured, while I'm there, it would be convenient! Just passing time...thanks!

I sit here anxiously awaiting my MY LR AWD MSM 20" Tow. Heck, I'm still waiting on my VIN for three weeks and counting....but this post isn't about that. I ordered my Homelink at tie of order and I am staring at this bo, unopened, of course, in my house. That came immediately! Has anyone had any success, upon learning of a delivery date, scheduling the Homelink install while picking up the vehicle at the SC? I figured, while I'm there, it would be convenient! Just passing time...thanks!

They need to do it at your house. Works out great because when you get the car you schedule service 2-3 weeks out and at the same time they can fix any issues like panel gaps.

Since we are 90 miles from the delivery center, I asked several times if the Homelink unit could be installed when we picked up our MY but Tesla refused every time.

Their reasoning was that they couldn't install it until after the 7-day return window expired (pickup was end of September).
I did schedule the install through the app the day we picked up, and the mobile ranger showed up at my office and did the 10-minute installation about 2 weeks later.

Now that the return period is apparently not a thing any more, maybe Tesla would be more accommodating...

By installing Homelink at your house they can verify that it actually opens the garage door or gate before they leave.
I had a service appointment at the service center. I asked them about homelink and I was told that they will also install homelink at service center. I will have to the rest at home on my own.

That's cool they gave you that option. This means that you are own your own to program the Homelink module, when you get home, so it learns the code(s) from your garage door opener...which is fine for some people.

Others may want the mobile install so that the tech can verify that everything is working, the door or gate opens and closes, before leaving.

Reactions: empiredown
Thanks. I have programmed Homelink on each car I have ever owned that had it...not a difficult process...I do thin it's ridiculous that it needs to be "installed" on a $60K car, but that ground has already been plowed...hopefully with my VIN that I just received, 827XX, I may have avoided many of the fit/finish issues. We'll see! No delivery scheduled, yet!

Thanks. I have programmed Homelink on each car I have ever owned that had it...not a difficult process...I do thin it's ridiculous that it needs to be "installed" on a $60K car, but that ground has already been plowed...hopefully with my VIN that I just received, 827XX, I may have avoided many of the fit/finish issues. We'll see! No delivery scheduled, yet!
Tesla doesn’t want to pay for the licensing fee on Homelink if it ends up not being installed. I don’t believe you can order a car with Homelink pre-installed.

Tesla doesn’t want to pay for the licensing fee on Homelink if it ends up not being installed. I don’t believe you can order a car with Homelink pre-installed.

Realize it's not installed. Already purchased and box is sitting in my house. It's not saving consumers any money by not having it installed at factory. We're paying $300 after the fact for a part that's costing Tesla less than $5, for sure. Oh well...it is what it is. Glad to pay the $300. My question really wasn't about included or not. It was just about whether I can take the box that I already have to SC upon pick up and have installed, then. I can program it.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Service center in Wexford did it before I left. I called a week before when I set up my delivery and made a service appointment . After I got there and signed my paperwork, I gave them the Homelink and they installed it. 30 minutes or less.
I actually bought some HEPA filters from Abstract Ocean and they installed those at the same time. Charged me $35.00 for labor for the filters, but the Homelink was free.

I ordered and received the homelink prior to delivery.
I mentioned it to my sales advisor and asked if I could/should schedule the install for the same day of delivery...and He suggested I drop it off and he would arrange for service to install prior to pickup

I was VERY pleased with this process and I was able to program it myself at home

Realize it's not installed. Already purchased and box is sitting in my house. It's not saving consumers any money by not having it installed at factory. We're paying $300 after the fact for a part that's costing Tesla less than $5, for sure. Oh well...it is what it is. Glad to pay the $300. My question really wasn't about included or not. It was just about whether I can take the box that I already have to SC upon pick up and have installed, then. I can program it.

The savings are on Tesla's side, when the buyer doesn't really care about having Homelink. The flip side is Tesla COULD add Homelink for everyone, raise the price by $300, and screw the folks that don't want it...the biggest cost is the licensing, from what I've read here, and that isn't $5.

Once you get your delivery date, ask if they can install it at the SC after you accept it. Possibly will depend on how busy the SC is...if they can't, just schedule the service and ask for mobile to install it.