TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

SC messed with children's car seats

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ewakko, May 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ewakko

ewakko Member

Just figured out SC messed with our car seats in the third row, when the car was in to get the FWD fixed. I've been driving around for over a week without noticing.
    Has anyone else have the SC screw with the children's car seats?!

2. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

Like unbuckled it to get it out of the way messed with it, or like sawed it in half and replaced the padding with woven porcupine quills?

• Funny x 16
    • Like x 1
  3. mynameisjim

mynameisjim Member

My Ford dealer had to remove my car seats to complete service and they had me sign that they tried to put them back but wanted me to check them before use. Seems smart

• Like x 2
  4. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

I always check my car seats when my vehicle is with a third party. Never trust anyone else with my child's safety. That being said, I have never had a problem with Tesla touching my car seats.

5. robski

robski Member

I think everything in the car is fair game if it's obstructing the scope of work. But you should clarify what you mean by "messing" with the seats.

• Like x 1
  6. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

The SvC unbuckled both my kids seats last year when I had a twin charger installed and they said I was responsible to reattach the seats because of liability issues.

7. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Vague... but benefit of doubt to all parties pending more detailed explanation.

• Like x 1
  8. ewakko

ewakko Member

Sorry for the vagueness. I was in a rage. I brought the car into to get the FWD aligned. I had no reason to think they needed access to the third row seats to complete the job. The seats were unlatched, and I didn't notice because the latches were just sitting beside the car seats towards the back of the seat. There are two car seats side by side, so that is hidden.
    I emailed the SC and they blaimed it on a new guy. Obviously, they are suppose to inform you when they remove the car seats. And whatever reason they gave was not on the service bill. My husband returned the voicemail since I'm not ready to have a constructive conversation with them.

• Like x 2
  9. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I think rational people would take your side here. If the SC had to unlatch the seats, they should have reinstalled them. Compared to the work that they do everyday, I think I would have been comfortable with that and not too worried if it was mentioned or not.

But the fact that they unlatched it and left it unlatched (lazy and dangerous) that IS a problem.

Though I don't know what is the right remedy for this. Hard to blame Tesla, or even the service center, just the technician really who did that to your seats.

At the end of the day, let's be glad you found the problem, no one is hurt and you are now extra vigilant on checking your car seats after service visits.

• Like x 2
  10. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

As mentioned above the SC should not have reinstalled the seats for liability reasons. I wouldn't trust a random service guy to install the seats properly. They should have however made it abundantly obvious that the seats were not latched and also verbally told the customer as well as put it in writing on the work order that the seats were unlatched.

• Like x 3
  11. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I don't disagree with you looking at things from the strictest perspective of liability. Common sense radar tells me if the technicians are certified to ensure that the physical Tesla car seats remain attached to the frame, or that the motor doesn't fall off the axle while my car is moving - pulling a strap from a product made by Britax, Graco, or Chico is not beyond their technical capabilities. :)

The only way to make things "abundantly" obvious is to remove the seats from the car and stick it in the lobby for the customer when they come to pick up the car.

Anyway in the case of the tech who just unlatches the seat and leaves it resting on the seat with no communication to the customer needs to face some kind of disciplinary action.

12. HappyHappy

HappyHappy Member

I'd like to think I'm an intelligent guy. I went to college. I went to law school. I run a business. But man, sometimes it takes a lot of cursing, sweat, and blood to install one of those car seats. And it's for my kid. I'd guess that a technician on a schedule wouldn't put as much effort into doing it right, and may not even have installed one before. So yea, it's not beyond his capabilities, but no, they shouldn't install the seat.

What my BMW dealer did in the same situation was a nice big 8 x 11 paper taped to the middle of the car seat saying "Car seat removed. Please reinstall." It was abundantly obvious.

What happened to Ewakko is a major screwup: 1) by the service center for not having a written procedure, and 2) by the technician for being a nitwit. Most likely not a malicious screwup, but screwup none the less.

• Like x 6
  13. ewakko

ewakko Member

They violated my trust. I also have no confidence in them either since the door is still not fixed, they scratch the interior door handle, I found a new tear in the driver's seat, and whatever else they did they managed to mess up the passenger seatbelt. I just got the car at the end of March. I'm not sure I want to drive out of state to find someone competent enough to actually not mess something else up. And I don't think I should have to, for a brand new car.

Attached Files:

14. realvvk

realvvk Member

This is a very bad oversight, very serious. Criminally serious.

Thanks for sharing.

15. outie

outie Active Member

Sorry to hear about your experience. Do you have another service center in the area?

This is why I am very reluctant to bring my car for service but I don't have a choice when the FWD sensor keeps faulting on me. After I brought in I discovered 2 new issues (extra duct tape showing on door, dented racetrack). They were able to fix them but... It seems like the more often I bring it the more damages I'll see.

16. ewakko

ewakko Member

The next closest SC is Cincinnati (but when they delivered the car, they went to the wrong address, were over two hours late, at night, just minutes before a hailstorm, during the kids bedtime) and probably in Chicago somewhere about 3 hours away. Its like they are going out of their way just to mess with me. If I had the choice, I'd give them the car back.

17. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I think you are going to probably be taken care of going forrward. They have the power to definitely dot the i's and cross the t's. Going to a new SC is a bit too much and something you should not have to do.

I reckon they fix everything.. maybe they can throw in some software upgrades and set you up with a nice loaner in the meantime?

18. SoCal Tsla

SoCal Tsla Member

I've been to the SC twice and each time I'll take off my 2 car seats, because I would need them on my loaner car....

19. LuckyX

LuckyX Stormtrooper X60D, Autopilot, and Hitch

The only people I would ever trust with installing my child's car seats would be the police/fire dept or myself. For the many times I've been to the SC, I'll always do my walkthrough before driving off their lot. I hope they at least gave you an apology and ensure going forward they notify any customers if they tampered with any car seats.

• Like x 2
  20. ewakko

ewakko Member

Update: As a result of this incident, they informed me that their new procedure is to put the car seats in upside-down, so there is no confusion if they had been removed.

• Like x 3