Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC not honouring 12 year Body Rust Limited Warranty for spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 MX underside fixed spoiler panel paint is bubbling. It is an uncommon but known issue on the forum I see.

After initially quoting £0 repair estimate and agreeing “I’m sure the spoiler is covered under the paint warranty” SC is now refusing to honour the 12 year Body Rust Limited Warranty (outside the 4 year warranty).

I don’t want to be unresonable because it’s well out of basic warranty but from my reading of the small print, this is EXACTLY what the warranty was intended to cover.

R.e. The exclusions:

There’s no rust treatment
I’ve never had a non Tesla part on it.
It’s not been scratched or stone chipped - it’s on the rear of the car under the spoiler!
No previous crashes etc.

If the virtual service continues to refuse what are my options?

IMG_9904.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9905.jpeg
    IMG_9905.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_9896.jpeg
    IMG_9896.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_9895.jpeg
    IMG_9895.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_9894.jpeg
    IMG_9894.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_9892.jpeg
    IMG_9892.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Denying warranty is the standard operating procedure since 2019.
I genuinely feel that this work fits the wording of the body rust limited warranty exactly. There’s no legit way to wriggle out of it other than being blatantly unjust.

My hunc/hope is people quoting the 12 year element is rare and they’re just not used to signing off warranty work beyond 4 years.

They happily quote the warranty wording which I think supports my request but will then say my issue is external corrosion which it clearly isn’t.

I’d rather not be seen as a nuisance customer but I am not going accept being told black is white.

My options are:

A) keep pushing back on virtual service message
B) talk to the service centre staff in person
C) contact formal Tesla resolutions email
D) other? (ideas welcome)

The reason they are denying the claim is spelled out in the terms -- it need to be rust perforation that goes all the way through the panel and forms a hole.
The initial part failure is bubbling but intact paint proving its internal source. Then the paint fails and there will be a defect (hole). You can be unreasonable and say it’s external cause once that happens - doesn’t make it right.

Or if you’re saying you think it’s sensical to claim the warranty only covers a hole through and through you are as unreasonable as them.

Looks like I've got the same issue. Also 2017 Model X.

Did Tesla look after you @andyzdeman or have you been made to pay for a new spoiler?
I’m sure it’s common, just isn’t noticed much as it’s mainly on the spoiler underside.

The service manager said it is covered but only once it breaks through and makes a hole (as per the literal wording of the warranty). So basically once it gets worse he said it could be replaced.

Seems pretty stupid to me because it’s not goi g to get any better - it’ll only get worse. Perhaps they hope it doesn’t get bad enough to be covered while it’s within the 12 years.

I’ll ask again in 12 months. If needed I’ll just buy the part for £85 and fit it myself. The service manual has clear instructions. Removing the upper painted spoiler appliqué without breaking it is the hard part.

Reactions: Sean.
I know it’s aluminium. It’s a “body work” warranty so I’m not accepting that being the reason for exclusion.

It’s still a manufacturing defect under the paint that’s entirely unrelated to anything done on the surface.

It is not a “body work” warranty. It is a “rust perforation limited warranty.” This is not rust, and it has not perforated a hole through the panel.

I’d love to see Tesla cover this for you, but I don’t think they’re going to, and I’ll be surprised if you’re able to compel them to.

Reactions: mspohr and fr100
I’m sure it’s common, just isn’t noticed much as it’s mainly on the spoiler underside.

The service manager said it is covered but only once it breaks through and makes a hole (as per the literal wording of the warranty). So basically once it gets worse he said it could be replaced.

Seems pretty stupid to me because it’s not goi g to get any better - it’ll only get worse. Perhaps they hope it doesn’t get bad enough to be covered while it’s within the 12 years.

I’ll ask again in 12 months. If needed I’ll just buy the part for £85 and fit it myself. The service manual has clear instructions. Removing the upper painted spoiler appliqué without breaking it is the hard part.
Sounds like that’s the full story. Sad they hope to wait it out for 12 years…

All manufactures pull this. If it is just surface rust or surface corrosion it won't' be covered. If there are some tiny pin holes on the outside of the panel, it's covered. If there is corrosion on the backside of the panel and there are pin holes on the backside of the panel it won't be covered. That is why these manufactures call it outer body rust through. If the metal is so soft on the outside that a very small screwdriver can create a hole in the rust or corrosion it will be covered.

You cannot remove the spoiler without destorying it. Best bet is to try another SC. A few people have had success getting this repaired under warranty.

Reactions: kingpleb
Anyone have the actual warranty details for 2016-2017 car? The warranty quoted in the first post is the current one, with 150000 miles / 8years battery warranty which is not true as old cars have unlimited miles.

So, are you guys sure the corrosion warranty existed in 2017?

My SC claims it didn't exist back then, and I don't really have any leverage to show them otherwise.