Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC01 FUSC not transferring??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
So I finally did it and bought a used Model S Tesla. I bought the car from a third party dealer.
Before buying I confirmed with the dealer, and with Tesla, that the car has SC01 FUSC.
I've bought the car but have not yet transferred ownership via Tesla.

When I was viewing the car at the dealership, under charging it said 'no recent supercharging'.
However, it is now showing recent supercharging sessions for £0.00 each (I have supercharged it twice since buying it)
I am quite concerned because I am wondering whether this is an indication that, if I were to claim ownership of the car through Tesla, the car would no longer charge for free.

How can I verify whether that is the case? I've already checked that the car has SC01 (at least, it did have it up until the day before I bought it)
Has anyone ever bought an SC01 car from a third party (non-Tesla affiliated) dealership, only to have the free charging removed remotely?

Yes. If the dealer bought the car from a Tesla auction (which is likely), Tesla will remove the FUSC. The reason this can happen after your purchase is that the dealer doesn't transfer ownership to itself through Tesla.
If this were the case, wouldn't the SC01 code be removed from the car *before* the dealer gets a hold of it?

With my car, I checked with Tesla Support who confirmed over the phone that it had SC01. This was the day before I bought it.

Can someone confirm/deny whether the '£0.00 supercharging' is basically confirmation that this car doesn't have FUSC anymore? Or is there still hope for me?
I have a mid-2016 MS with SC01 transferrable supercharging. I've supercharged about 4 times in the past 8 days. Here's what my screen shows.
IMG_4014.jpg

I do not recall what my charging screen might have shown prior to my recent trip and not have used a supercharger for about 2 months.What I believe you might be seeing is if you have not supercharged for several weeks, like might have been the case prior to you picking up the car, is that this will then revert to showing the 'no recent supercharging' message. In the app you will see that it will show you the charging history for the past 30 days, after that it drops off and not shown. That might also be happening with the message displayed in the car on the charging screen.

When i charge it says 0.00 i have unlimited supercharging
I see. If you were to go to your car right now (i.e when you are NOT charging), under"Charging", would it say "No Recent Supercharging" OR would it say "Last charging session $0.00"?

I have a mid-2016 MS with SC01 transferrable supercharging. I've supercharged about 4 times in the past 8 days. Here's what my screen shows.
View attachment 874115

I do not recall what my charging screen might have shown prior to my recent trip and not have used a supercharger for about 2 months.What I believe you might be seeing is if you have not supercharged for several weeks, like might have been the case prior to you picking up the car, is that this will then revert to showing the 'no recent supercharging' message. In the app you will see that it will show you the charging history for the past 30 days, after that it drops off and not shown. That might also be happening with the message displayed in the car on the charging screen.
I'm relieved to see this. This is very similar to what my car is showing right now.
Can I ask - when did you buy your car? Did you buy it from new?

The reason I'm worried about this "£0.00" thing is because of an article on tesla-info.com (here), which you can see a screenshot of attached

My car said 'No recent supercharging' when it was on the dealer's lot. However, it's now showing "£0.00" since I've bought it and I'm worried that this means the FUSC will go away if I claim ownership of the car with Tesla.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 13.52.38.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 13.52.38.png
    473.5 KB · Views: 144
I think you may have to wait and see what happens after you get ownership through the app. When I bought my car from a third-party dealer who had bought it from a Tesla auction, the car came to me with free Supercharging, but it was taken away after I was assigned ownership. I am pretty sure that the timing happened this way because the ownership was not reassigned to anyone else before me, throughout the Tesla auction and dealer sales process.

Bottom line is still that if your dealer got it from a Tesla auction, you should not expect that FUSC will stay.

I think you may have to wait and see what happens after you get ownership through the app. When I bought my car from a third-party dealer who had bought it from a Tesla auction, the car came to me with free Supercharging, but it was taken away after I was assigned ownership. I am pretty sure that the timing happened this way because the ownership was not reassigned to anyone else before me, throughout the Tesla auction and dealer sales process.

Bottom line is still that if your dealer got it from a Tesla auction, you should not expect that FUSC will stay.
I see. Thanks for the input.
What a massive blunder from me. I really should have checked where they got the car from.

Do you know if your car had SC01 (this specific code), at the time that you bought it?

I'm honestly considering just never assigning the car to my name, and using it as is until the time comes if/when they remove its free charging.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Can I ask - when did you buy your car? Did you buy it from new?
I purchase my car new, delivered on June 30, 2016.

if you can see the car in your Tesla account, you can go to manage, then right click on the image of the car, copy, and then paste this into a document as text. You'll see an HTML string, but imbedded in it you will see the option codes for the car. It it shows SC01, then that's transferrable. If it's SC04, then it was a supercharging option that was free from the prior owner, but does not transfer.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I know that I had free SC for a couple of weeks before my ownership transfer came through, and that during that time, the car still had the name given by the 1st owner who had FUSC. The first owner definitely had SC01.

You will have to claim ownership of the car if you ever want to take it to a Tesla Service Center.

If the transfer has been completed by Tesla, go to your account online, Mange your Tesla, and select Details. If Free Unlimited Supercharging is there, it has transferred to you.
View attachment 874120
If the transfer has been completed by Tesla, go to your account online, Mange your Tesla, and select Details. If Free Unlimited Supercharging is there, it has transferred to you.
View attachment 874120

I haven't yet transferred it into my name. I bought the car yesterday evening. Considering the facts of the matter I think I'm just going to avoid transferring it into my name for as long as I can, because I have a strong suspicion the FUSC will not transfer to me. I might as well try to maximise the perk while I can, although its obviously not a realistic long-term plan.

I know that I had free SC for a couple of weeks before my ownership transfer came through, and that during that time, the car still had the name given by the 1st owner who had FUSC. The first owner definitely had SC01.

You will have to claim ownership of the car if you ever want to take it to a Tesla Service Center.
Yeah, I think I'm going to be in the same boat with you soon.
What really annoys me is that I thought I was being diligent in checking the SC code before buying it. I thought that if the SC01 was going to be removed, it'd be done while Tesla were in possession of it.
It seems like maybe they actually keep the SC01 on the car, until it is registered to its new keeper and THEN they take it off.
The day before I bought the car, Tesla service confirmed to me that it had SC01.

Man I really f*cked up with this purchase. FUSC was a priority for me.

I purchase my car new, delivered on June 30, 2016.

if you can see the car in your Tesla account, you can go to manage, then right click on the image of the car, copy, and then paste this into a document as text. You'll see an HTML string, but imbedded in it you will see the option codes for the car. It it shows SC01, then that's transferrable. If it's SC04, then it was a supercharging option that was free from the prior owner, but does not transfer.
This gives me a little bit of hope I guess. I am not sure why, despite being the only owner of the car which has SC01, your charging screen shows a dollar amount ($0.00) and not "No recent supercharging".

According to tesla-info's guide, your car apparently doesn't have transferable free charging (because it displays a dollar amount). But from what you are describing, it definitely should.

So maybe the "$0.00" thing isn't as cut-and-dry as the article makes out?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 13.52.38.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 13.52.38.png
    473.5 KB · Views: 146
This gives me a little bit of hope I guess. I am not sure why, despite being the only owner of the car which has SC01, your charging screen shows a dollar amount ($0.00) and not "No recent supercharging".

According to tesla-info's guide, your car apparently doesn't have free charging (because it displays a dollar amount). But from what you are describing, it definitely should.

So maybe the "$0.00" thing isn't as cut-and-dry as the article makes out?

It's not cut-and-dry anymore. On my 2015 Model S 85D (with FUSC and presumably SC01, because that's all there was at the time), a recent software update changed this behavior.

Previously, my car used to display "No recent Supercharging" on the charging screen. After upgrading to 2022.8.10.5 (can't recall the prior version), it started displaying the location of recent Supercharging with a $0.00 dollar amount. I posted about it in this other thread:

Anyone apply the 2022.8.10.5 update yet?

Bruce.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
My 2020 also shows $0.00 after each charging session. If I go to my account, it has an invoice fore each charging session and a bill for $0.00. If your haven't registered the car in your name, though, this means nothing to you. When the car goes through resellers, the title doesn't transfer ownership until the customer ultimately does this. Transfer your car in Tesla when you transfer the title to you.

My SC01 2016 S (original owner) definitely shows a $0.00 transaction for every session and has for quite some time.

I don’t believe there’s any correlation whatsoever between the presence of these $0 transactions and keeping the option.

It's not cut-and-dry anymore. On my 2015 Model S 85D (with FUSC and presumably SC01, because that's all there was at the time), a recent software update changed this behavior.

Previously, my car used to display "No recent Supercharging" on the charging screen. After upgrading to 2022.8.10.5 (can't recall the prior version), it started displaying the location of recent Supercharging with a $0.00 dollar amount. I posted about it in this other thread:

Anyone apply the 2022.8.10.5 update yet?

Bruce.
My 2020 also shows $0.00 after each charging session. If I go to my account, it has an invoice fore each charging session and a bill for $0.00. If your haven't registered the car in your name, though, this means nothing to you. When the car goes through resellers, the title doesn't transfer ownership until the customer ultimately does this. Transfer your car in Tesla when you transfer the title to you.

Amazing - I just checked and my car is also on 2022.8.10.5. This gives me hope! Maybe it's just that the guide has now been made outdated by this new software patch.
I guess I won't know for sure until the car is in my name. But thanks very much for this info, it's put my mind at ease to know that there is alternative explanation

My SC01 2016 S (original owner) definitely shows a $0.00 transaction for every session and has for quite some time.

I don’t believe there’s any correlation whatsoever between the presence of these $0 transactions and keeping the option.
Thanks for the info - this is great to hear. Crossing my fingers that the transfer of FUSC comes through with no issues.

I think I'll reach out to tesla-info to update their guide. It makes out that any recorded $0.00 sessions indicate non-transferable FUSC, which was probably the case in the past but maybe outdated now

Thanks for the info - this is great to hear. Crossing my fingers that the transfer of FUSC comes through with no issues.

I think I'll reach out to tesla-info to update their guide. It makes out that any recorded $0.00 sessions indicate non-transferable FUSC, which was probably the case in the past but maybe outdated now

You realize the tesla-info site that you are referencing is not an official Tesla resource, but a third party site, posting what they believe to be correct. I'm not trying to take shots at them in any way, but I do not feel you can treat is as absolute fact. If you go to the bottom of their home page you will find the following disclaimer in small print (bold font added by me for emphasis).

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy and Cookie Policy. Your use of the tesla-info website is subject to these policies and terms. All data is provided on a reasonable endeavours basis but errors and omissions may exist. No data should be relied upon as being accurate and additional checks should be made if the information is material to any purchase or use of the car. We provide product listings on Amazon for which we will receive a small commission if you chose to buy.​