Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone using a Motorola phone for this app? I was unsuccessful in obtaining information from my BT adapter. I see activity lights on adapter, but no info shows up on app. I've used the phone and adapter fine with Torque and other cars.

My specific phone is Motorola Play G6, also tried a G4 phone without success.

What does the app say, any error messages?
This could be a problem with your BT adapter, if it's a cheap one that doesn't support CAN bus or the ATMA command (happens often with super cheap chinese adapters)
OBD2 protocol with Torque is very different from Tesla Can bus, we are a bit on the edge of what an OBD2 adapter was meant for.

Yes sometsome like that. It could be nice to use the existing translation to show the data on a displad, a pad for example.
The other feature I'd like to source was the ability to activate gear, brake etc or perhaps battery heat.

Btw, the picture is from a large drive unit sitting on the bench in my garage. Connected to the usercan with the elm327

That's super cool, I'd love to see a picture of that, and what you are building with it! Is this only the drive unit + obd2 adapter, no car or car electronics for the rest of the car?

What does the app say, any error messages?
This could be a problem with your BT adapter, if it's a cheap one that doesn't support CAN bus or the ATMA command (happens often with super cheap chinese adapters)
OBD2 protocol with Torque is very different from Tesla Can bus, we are a bit on the edge of what an OBD2 adapter was meant for.

It is a cheap ELM adapter, and it has worked fine with TeslaSpy.. Also the adapter works with my galaxy tab, but really want to use app on phone.

Anyone using a Motorola phone for this app? I was unsuccessful in obtaining information from my BT adapter. I see activity lights on adapter, but no info shows up on app. I've used the phone and adapter fine with Torque and other cars.

My specific phone is Motorola Play G6, also tried a G4 phone without success.

My understanding is that SMT won't work with low power BT adapters. What adapter are you using?

Edit: Shoulda read the other answers especially from the developer of SMT. Please ignore.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
In my case when SMT stops working, TM-Spy also stops working. It is not the case that the phone lost pairing with OBDLink LX, because after disconnecting and reconnecting the adapter, it works again.

But it is possible that the phone might have compatibility issues with OBDLink LX. My phone is Essential PH-1. Also, LELink adapter doesn't have this problem with both SMT and TM-Spy.
I Have been trying to use SMT with OBDLink MX and can't get the program to work. I also have a Essencial PH-1. did you ever get it to work? If so, what was the steps to get it to work. I need help. Thanks.

I am a novice at getting this program to work. I have a Model S, Essencial Phone PH-1, and a OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter. I installed the MX and successfully pair it with the phone. When I tried to run the program I got this image ScanMyTesla.jpg I thought that maybe my phone paired with the car may be an issue so I removed the phone and go these screens. ScanMyTesla-2.jpg ScanMyTesla-3.jpg
I turned on the program logging feature but on my phone in a folder named "ScanMyTesla" there are no files.

I would love to know the steps to take to get this to work. Thanks for any help

@amund7 sorry for the NOOB questions, but want to check two things before proceeding.
1) This App only works ONLY on Android right?
2) Since I don't have an Android device and will need to buy one just for this App, is it better to buy a small Android tablet rather than a phone? Meaning, will the app use the additional screen real estate?

Thanks!!!

@amund7 sorry for the NOOB questions, but want to check two things before proceeding.
1) This App only works ONLY on Android right?
2) Since I don't have an Android device and will need to buy one just for this App, is it better to buy a small Android tablet rather than a phone? Meaning, will the app use the additional screen real estate?

Thanks!!!

Yes, the app will take advantage of a big screen. Text items will be very small, good for getting an overview of many things at once. BMS heat map can be resized, and gauges can also resize, from showing 1 huge gauge or many small ones. I played with the idea of attaching a 7 or 10" tablet below the 17" screen to run Scan My Tesla on, but never found a way to mount it nicely.

• Helpful
Just tried this out with my BT ELM327. Very cool. Have factory diag tool for all my cars so this tool provide initial glimpse into the Tesla (2013 MS)

One data that does't make sense is lifetime kWhr. My reading shows about 2k DC 9k AC and 15k regen (26k total charged). I have 50k miles and generally get a little less than 3 miles / kWhr (Seattle climate) like everyone else. Neither 11k (DC+AC) x 3 or 26k x 3 (DC+AC+regen) matches my mileage. What am I missing?

BTW, that 15k kWhr regen can't be correct. Regen more than I ever charged would break thermodynamic law right? haha.

Very cool tool!

Reactions: scottf200
View attachment 292596 View attachment 292594 View attachment 292595

Hi,

Finally we have an official thread in this forum! Ask questions, share your findings, and make this thread awesome. I will try to answer all questions, and take note of any feature requests.

Google Play links:
Scan My Tesla
Scan My Tesla DEMO (this is just a UI demo, playing back a recorded log)

Documentation:
scan my tesla

Background:
There was so much cool canbus stuff floating around the internet, especially on this forum, but it was really just floating around. I decided to create an app that could decode and display all those known canbus packets, and a framework that would quickly allow me to add new packets when they become available.

I credit all the reverse engineering work to those who deserve it:
Most CANBUS packets decoded by Jason Hughes (skie.net)
Battery cell info decoded by Jack Rickard (evtv.me)
DC/AC Charge counters publicized by "DB 2"
HVAC controls by Marc Olivier Chouinard (teslalog.com)
Trip recording system idea by Marc Olivier Chouinard (teslalog.com)
Efficiency calculations suggested by WarpedOne

I have since added a lot of my own, mostly combining already known packets into more interesting ones.

There is also a simple trip computer, a bit like Tesla's in-built one, but you can have unlimited numbers of them, and it shows you regenerated energy and %, AC and DC charged energy.

For those interested, I am working on a canbus reverse engineering suite, inspired by comma.ai Cabana, called CanbusAnalyzer: amund7/CANBUS-Analyzer

The app source code is also in github: amund7/ScanMyTesla

fantastic app , thank you!

Reactions: amund7
Just tried this out with my BT ELM327. Very cool. Have factory diag tool for all my cars so this tool provide initial glimpse into the Tesla (2013 MS)

One data that does't make sense is lifetime kWhr. My reading shows about 2k DC 9k AC and 15k regen (26k total charged). I have 50k miles and generally get a little less than 3 miles / kWhr (Seattle climate) like everyone else. Neither 11k (DC+AC) x 3 or 26k x 3 (DC+AC+regen) matches my mileage. What am I missing?

BTW, that 15k kWhr regen can't be correct. Regen more than I ever charged would break thermodynamic law right? haha.

Very cool tool!

Thanks!

What you are missing is that the 'AC charge' and 'DC charge' were introduced to the firmware at some point, and is only counting since they were introduced. That throws off the Regen, which is calculated in-app.

In other words, it works perfectly for all cars newer than some uncertain date when this was introduced. My 2014 S85 showed the same symptoms as yours.

Everything counts correctly when you start a trip counter though, since they are measuring correctly going forward in time, they just didn't count since the car was new.

More information about every signal here:
Scan My Tesla readings

• Informative