Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These were fixed in Scan My Tesla 1.9.3 released December 13, 2020. After that we released 1.9.4. Keep up man! :)

The max and min pack voltages were missed that time, I have found a solution and it's in the pipeline for next release.
I just check my Android version (Model 3) and got the following:

Version: 2.0.8
Updated: Aug 16, 2020
By: Borsang Engineering
Release: Jul 21, 2017

I use the App with the special Tesla update function (Before/After FW 2020.20.5)

I am just puzzle about the above update comment: December 13, 2020 - release 1.9.4 (?)

I just check my Android version (Model 3) and got the following:
Version: 2.0.8

This is the beta program. Big update coming, but needs more work before beta release.

Edit: I see now that @MarcG is also on the beta. Sorry about the funny comment, then you are actually keeping up! The beta has not been updated yet, that version is in a bit of a limbo right now, as that direction was scrapped and a whole new app (the Android mirror of the IOS version) is coming to Android beta. But it needs a bit more work.

Reactions: bedoig
Well in your own words... "Keep up man!" :D

I deserved that :p

Haha thanks @amund7 I was wondering why my app hadn’t updated. When do you expect the new beta build to be released? Or would it be better to remove myself from the beta?

It will be weeks, maybe months, but I am constantly monitoring the progress trying to decide when the right time is. Feel free to jump back and forth between beta and production as much as you want in the meantime, I will need lots of beta testers when the new one is out, hope to see you there then :)

I deserved that :p

It will be weeks, maybe months, but I am constantly monitoring the progress trying to decide when the right time is. Feel free to jump back and forth between beta and production as much as you want in the meantime, I will need lots of beta testers when the new one is out, hope to see you there then :)

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I’ll switch back to the prod version for now, but please let us know when your beta is update and I’d be glad to jump back into it then!

Reactions: amund7
I have become addicted to SMT, one of the first things I do in the AM is check on the car...

However, been having sporadic dropouts and failures to connect. Tried to load the lastest OBD firmware and now neither OBD of SMT will connect.

Don't know how long I can go cold turkey, so need to know the current recommend on adapter cable, and OBD product, MX is no longer available...

Thanks in advance...

I have become addicted to SMT, one of the first things I do in the AM is check on the car...

However, been having sporadic dropouts and failures to connect. Tried to load the lastest OBD firmware and now neither OBD of SMT will connect.

Don't know how long I can go cold turkey, so need to know the current recommend on adapter cable, and OBD product, MX is no longer available...

Thanks in advance...

Did you brick several OBD adapters by updating firmwares? Or did you have the same problems before flashing? Are you using OBDLINK?

When I got my Huawei P20 Pro, I noticed Scan My Tesla was working very erratically. It worked, but the data was coming in late, in bursts, and often with corrupted values. I then flashed 2 different OBDLINKs with it, and they were both bricked afterwards. Luckily my hunch that The P20 pro had a fishy Bluetooth implementation was correct, and I managed to restore the firmwares on both obdlinks using a different phone (Lenovo P2). I reported this to OBDLINK immediately.

You should contact the support of your OBD2 manufacturer if you're having issues with firmwares etc.

The P20 pro got better for every firmware update after that, and today I am on a P30 Pro with no issues.

Just an idea that maybe you can restore/reflash the firmwares with a different brand phone, just in case your phone has some weird bluetooth stuff going on. Also check for firmware updates for the phone.

OBDLINK LX is my favourite for Android, because it's cheaper but just as good as MX and MX+. Cables from GPS America and EMDS Germany are good quality and each cable is tested before shipping.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Did you brick several OBD adapters by updating firmwares? Or did you have the same problems before flashing? Are you using OBDLINK?

When I got my Huawei P20 Pro, I noticed Scan My Tesla was working very erratically. It worked, but the data was coming in late, in bursts, and often with corrupted values. I then flashed 2 different OBDLINKs with it, and they were both bricked afterwards. Luckily my hunch that The P20 pro had a fishy Bluetooth implementation was correct, and I managed to restore the firmwares on both obdlinks using a different phone (Lenovo P2). I reported this to OBDLINK immediately.

You should contact the support of your OBD2 manufacturer if you're having issues with firmwares etc.

The P20 pro got better for every firmware update after that, and today I am on a P30 Pro with no issues.

Just an idea that maybe you can restore/reflash the firmwares with a different brand phone, just in case your phone has some weird bluetooth stuff going on. Also check for firmware updates for the phone.

OBDLINK LX is my favourite for Android, because it's cheaper but just as good as MX and MX+. Cables from GPS America and EMDS Germany are good quality and each cable is tested before shipping.

Using MX without OBD app since April without much problems on moto g7 running Android 10, except failure to connect about 1/3 of the time, which has been getting worse.

This is my second MX, first was bad, got a free replacement. Pretty sure this one was bricked due to update attempt.

Tried reconnect, reboot, reload OBD app, and even connected to wife's S class Benz, to no avail.

At this point, just want a new set up that works...

Using MX without OBD app since April without much problems on moto g7 running Android 10, except failure to connect about 1/3 of the time, which has been getting worse.

This is my second MX, first was bad, got a free replacement. Pretty sure this one was bricked due to update attempt.

Tried reconnect, reboot, reload OBD app, and even connected to wife's S class Benz, to no avail.

Reading the scan tool instructions for recovery of firmware, and also Amazon reviews, seems like this bricking is pretty common.

Ready to try another brand, any suggestions?

Reading the scan tool instructions for recovery of firmware, and also Amazon reviews, seems like this bricking is pretty common.

Re: OBDLINK LX is my favourite for Android -- Amund7

I've been using the OBDLINK LX and it has been pretty reliable for me as well as my kid. We've gotten both of them from:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW

Yeah, some people have problems with OBDLINK, and increasing lately it seems. Not sure if it's Android 10, or just new phone manufacturers, but the problems are increasing. Mine occationally lock up and needs an unplug to reset, some people get this constantly. But in my book, there is nothing better, of course a regular ELM327 does not have that hangup issue, but they are also 20x slower data transfer.

There are several new adapters coming, but all need changes to the apps to support them. We are currently working on supporting Josh Wardell's Can Server, which is a very interesting piece of equipment on it's own: Products

Then I read good things about an adapter called VLINKER Wifi, this is reported to be as fast as an obdlink, and since it uses wifi it will work with IOS as well. I am planning to look into this and see if it can be the new adapter we want to reccommend, but again, needs reprogramming of all the apps so it will take some time before we can get there. I see VLINKER has a bluetooth version too, but I haven't tested the speed of it, if it's as fast as an obdlink and more stable it could be a great adapter, as it seems to be priced in OBDLINK territory.

So my best advice is to sit and wait a bit, maybe get a cheap ELM327 in the meantime. We have a list of a few adapters known to work with the Android app, and many have the list price and speed included too, so you can get a comparison:

Adapters, phones, performance vs price chart

Re: OBDLINK LX is my favourite for Android -- Amund7

I've been using the OBDLINK LX and it has been pretty reliable for me as well as my kid. We've gotten both of them from:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW

Took your advice and my LX arrived today, thank you amazon prime for one day delivery!

It came with update 4.6 something. I noted the 3 yr warranty, and updated with the OBD app with no problem, running 5.6.13. seems that is all the app is good for, updating.

I will try to fix the old MX and maybe will use it on other cars...

SMT works fine so far, maybe a little faster. Great to see capacity north of 77 KwH and range of 265...

OTOH, MCU1 did its first case of black screen today..I wonder if SMT will work with black screen in that I can see hvac settings and such...

• Love
Took your advice and my LX arrived today, thank you amazon prime for one day delivery!

It came with update 4.6 something. I noted the 3 yr warranty, and updated with the OBD app with no problem, running 5.6.13. seems that is all the app is good for, updating.

I will try to fix the old MX and maybe will use it on other cars...

SMT works fine so far, maybe a little faster. Great to see capacity north of 77 KwH and range of 265...

OTOH, MCU1 did its first case of black screen today..I wonder if SMT will work with black screen in that I can see hvac settings and such...

Yep the app will work. But if the MCU is completely offline, nobody's sending the HVAC settings, and I think those must be coming from the MCU. I guess that's why the HVAC doesn't do anything. I read they have fixed this in a recent firmware update, "for safety" (but really to avoid NHTSA recall), my guess is that they let the HVAC module start in some default settings if the MCU is not coming on line.

Last edited:
Yep the app will work. But if the MCU is completely offline, nobody's sending the HVAC settings, and I think those must be coming from the MCU. I guess that's why the HVAC doesn't do anything. I read they have fixed this in a recent firmware update, "for safety" (but really to avoid NHTSA recall), my guess is that they let the HVAC module start in some default settings if the MCU is not coming on line.

When I got the black screen, unfortunately that was a few hours before I installed the LX.

I did hear the climate control come on, so I guess the fix does work in that respect. Forgot to try a turn signal.

There is a full defect write-up, and a letter from Tesla describing how serious this problem is, namely, "all eMMC will fail" in the USA, NHTSB site.

If SMT would display some data with a dead MCU, that would be helpful while I wait for a refurbished daughter board which I know are out our production and in short supply. They would not sell me one in September unless my screen was black and unrecoverable.

12v electrical data should be present, which I could use to acertain if lights are on, etc.

Informative FB post:
>>>>>>>>>
Scan My Tesla 24-Feb-2021
Confused by the different versions yet? I know I am. So I made this to help us.
Behold the
SCAN MY TESLA 'ROAD MATRIX'

(Actual Google Sheet for better readability)
scan my tesla feature matrix

PS. Like any good Elon Tweet this contains lots of secret secrets

PPS. The plan is IOS production will get incremental betas as soon as they are sufficiently tested, Android production will have to wait until betas are feature compatible with the current Android version. In the end everyone will be happy

9BmIG6q.jpg

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm less than happy. The LX is a disappointment. Crashes more often, even when driving.

Does the app crash and close, or just stop giving data, because the OBDLINK is locked up?

Have you tried the new betas (beta 3), I already have one report saying their LX worked better, however I believe that's just a coincidence. I don't believe the beta fixes an obdlink, but the code is reworked and slightly different so it might tick off the obdlink less, at least it should not crash and should reconnect more gracefully.

Please report your issues to OBDLink. If enough people report the same issue, they MUST do something with this at some point.

• Helpful