Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have enough beta testers for the iOS app testing the connection to CANServer?

Honestly Josh has asked me to wait to announce anything, becuase he's out of parts. But I am leaking... sorry Josh :) The can server support is not yet in beta.

I think the sequence will be:
1. Fix some details in the current betas to test a RC1 for IOS (missing: storing layouts/colums/size for each signal lists, fix welcome page layout, a few other minor bugs), to be able to release a new IOS production version
2. Either can server beta OR Teslalogger beta, depending on what is ready for beta first
3. release that to IOS production
4. repeat

We have hundreds of beta testers, just follow the beta if you like, you will get the latest and greatest (and will help discover the latest and worst so we can fix that)

The fun thing now is that the Android beta and the IOS beta are in sync. So follow your favourite platform, and know that by testing you are helping us get new features to production. Thank you for beta testing!

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Occasionally, I noticed my RR is improving, usually after a drive the previous day.

Some correlation between higher RR, higher pack temp and lower cell imbalance is observed.

Usually, SMT RR tracks the RR shown in the Tesla app within a few miles.

Today, I saw the same nominal capacity as yesterday, 77.2KwH, but an increase in RR from 266 to 277 (I wish that were true!)

But the app shows 264 RM.

Not sure why the CAN bus data is different from what the car and app show.

Thoughts?

Check the All tab, I am a bit rusty on the Model S signals but I think there are more range signals available than the ones shown under Battery. And I remember there were some disputes about which signals are shown in US cars and EU cars, or maybe just the naming of them, and I don't think I ever got to the bottom of it. Let me know what you find.

My value for RM came from the "All" tab.

Just checked again, and it is 266, not 277 miles. New EPA is 270 miles.

BMS gremlins I guess. I should ignore RM anyway and just check nominal full capacity, which seems to be pretty steady.

The interface is very cool and really love the graphics like below. (This likely mentioned but your website needs an option to 'buy you a coffee' or whatever other developers do and it pops up a Paypal or some other secure thing for a donation -- ie. more than the initial app purchase. Just a thought.)

FYI: I was pretty confused the first time I used the new interface tho and didn't know how to get to menu for BMS, battery, Perf, etc (2nd graphic).
FWIW: show the screen to my TM3 owning kid as well and he was happy with the tip on how to get to other menu as it was not clear to him either. Maybe query other users to see if you need to change/tweak this. Maybe for a while add text after the option "BMS (tap for opts)" or something.

Question/bug?: I apologize if this has been discussed but the bottom graph does not seem to adjust the low end so it includes your current range. ie. my current X range was like 183 but the low end of the range below is 229. About shows 2.1.1 (121) for the version.

1OG5Ccu.jpg

Q8qAvOF.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words! I really dig the linear plots as well, but there is so much more potential. The end goal as you may know, is that these should be user editable, hopefully shareable, and in the end I hope users will submit their best designs so we can improve the default dashboards.

If you don't know Randy, most of the look of the original app is already under Signal Lists in the main menu, needle gauges and all. They are not yet editable, but that is the next feature to work on. It is complicated to store it in a foolproof, crashproof and future update-proof way, so it might take a few rounds of beta testing and changing.

I have recieved some feedback that 'Dashboards' and 'Signal lists' could be named better. 'Signal lists' might sound like a dead list of signals that normal users won't get themselves into, but in fact it might be the 2nd app within the app they really were looking for. Open for suggestions here.

I agree the UI details and menus could be better, especially Signal Lists on Android are kinda ugly, because of the gray buttons, and the strange look of the pulldown menu. I will keep working on that. The main menu might also be hidden away too well, we'll see how that can be improved.

The welcome screen explains how to navigate the dashboards, but it doesn't yet show the signal lists. But at the end of the tutorial, it pops open the main menu so anyone should find it. The tutorial could be better as well. So much to do, only 2 hands!

PS. Love the suggestion of 'buy me a coffee', I take that as a huge compliment, thank you, will look into it.

I see the bug with the range bar graph when I switch to miles. I know I've fixed it before, maybe it's just the canserver version (which is the current one in Android beta now), I'll make a note of it and figure it out later. Thanks for reporting!

Where do you see 277? In the app, or in the car screens?
Sorry for the late reply. The app tends to show more dynamic data than the car screen or Tesla app, in this case 277.

After more than two years, finally switched the car to %.

Teslafi agrees with SMT after a charge.

Interesting that when I switch in or out of range mode, I loose 1% of range.

Hi Amund and all;

Any thoughts about SMT on the New MS Plaid?

Two deliveries here in California.

I have no idea what to expect. Hopefully most of the app will still work. As we already know they changed the signals for Nominal etc to be able to send up to 200 kWh, and they have done similar things in the past for power signals. I'd be very excited to see what works and what doesn't if someone can connect to a new car. Maybe they even changed the plug? The 3rd motor will for sure not work as the app has no way to know about it.

If you know of someone connected, be sure to record a RAW log and send me, if the owner allows. That could help us at least start looking into some broken things, and possibly find some new things (the 3rd motor should be possible to find if they retained the same protocol as the other motors).

Still nothing known about the octovalve and heat pump in Model Y and new 3, hopefully someone can find some good stuff on that, and I suppose the S will have the same system, at least something similar.

I am here and willing to poke around a bit--I used another tool when I was having BatteryGate fun (Apple Guy), so familiar with the process, but not sure if I'd need a diff cable (probably) and no idea where the port is on the Plaid.
Thanks Omar, happy to help where I can.

In the previous Model S, the port was located under the center console (in the area that would now be behind the wireless phone chargers), but I’m not sure how easy or difficult it would be to access that area in the new models

In the Model 3, the port is located behind the center console, under where your car’s rear screen is located. That panel is super easy to remove on the 3, perhaps there’s a similar one in the new S?