Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After all of this, I believe the LX goes to sleep but does not look any different while it's asleep (bluetooth LED flashing). It doesn't wake up after entering the car either. The only way I was able to get it to wake up was unplug and plug back in.
After using blue terminal and sending the commands in the posts above, it hasn't went back to sleep and I can connect with the app every time now.
So I guess you can send those commands to turn off the sleep function on the LX during first install/connection/pairing?

I guess the question is, who set it to sleep? The MX is not like this from factory, and I doubt all LXs are either, since many others have used them, but not had this problem.

Could it be other apps changing these? And again, if another app sets this, how does it expect to wake it back up?

Ok, my OBDLink LX worked flawlessly for one week, after disabling sleep mode. What I did was to install Bluetooth Terminal by Qwerty (check Append newline in the Setup), and send the following commands to the adapter.
stslu off,off
stslcs
atz

Hope this helps.

Sounds great. But is there a partial sleep mode that would be even better? Let the adapter sleep when the car sleeps or when your phone is out of range, but still manages to connect when you get back?

Reactions: hiroshiy
Is all the Info coming from the can 3 bus? I can only see 1 item in the HVAC section but I am seeing a lot of other info. I am only using one of the cheaper BT adaptors i had kicking around.

Yes, all from CAN3.

Very strange you only get 1 reading, which one is that? Is the car on? Does other tabs function normally?

Sometimes the cheap adapters can be baffled by too much traffic, HVAC is one of these, but the result is that you usually miss only some of the readings. Have you tried leaving it on for a while?

The 'Heating/Cooling power' reading takes in a lot of different packets to calculate, try deleting that, that should probably leave room to get all the others.

I’ve returned my LX. Mine worked fine but got another one that has no sleep function and an on/off switch. It’s BT LE and works with SMT on android and Tesla Spy on my iphone. It’s not as fast as the LX but for what I want to do it’s perfectly fine. It’s also over $50 less. And it’s half the size of the LX if that matters.

I’ve returned my LX. Mine worked fine but got another one that has no sleep function and an on/off switch. It’s BT LE and works with SMT on android and Tesla Spy on my iphone. It’s not as fast as the LX but for what I want to do it’s perfectly fine. It’s also over $50 less. And it’s half the size of the LX if that matters.
My LX seems unstable compared with previous LELink. What adapter do you use? I'd like to try it.

Just to be clear...I didn’t have any issues with my LX after turning off the sleep modes. This is the one I’m using now. https://www.amazon.ca/Globmall-Scan...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07BCWRDRR
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I just wanted to take chances :)
There were a few reports that LX stops responding after a certain period. I want to keep the adapter and cables under the cubby compartment, so need a stable adapter that works for both TM-Spy and SMT. Ordered Globmall OBD Scanner Bluetooth! Thanks for your info.

Yes, all from CAN3.

Very strange you only get 1 reading, which one is that? Is the car on? Does other tabs function normally?

Sometimes the cheap adapters can be baffled by too much traffic, HVAC is one of these, but the result is that you usually miss only some of the readings. Have you tried leaving it on for a while?

The 'Heating/Cooling power' reading takes in a lot of different packets to calculate, try deleting that, that should probably leave room to get all the others.

The heating cooling power is all that I get in the HVAC, I will remove it when I get time and let you know what happens, I probably need to order a good adaptor.

Hi amund7,

Nice work on the app. Purchased your app, cable and MX dongle and all works great.

Since you've mentioned you'd appreciate feedback here is mine. Please don't take any of it as criticism.

Inside, outside and one other temp show as 86.5 with metric units selected which is clearly wrong. Tested this on my mates MX90D and he gets the exact same numbers, which are static btw.

The text on some of the gauges doesn't scale well when using size+ or size-

I have taken photos of all my diagnostic screens on two occasions I had short access to them. I would be happy to share them.

Perhaps you could mod the battery module tab to more closely resemble the Tesla one. A more challenging one would be the heating/cooling schematic Tesla has.

Also, as others have mentioned, I'm not quite sure where the csv/raw log files go.

Cheers

Jayson

Hi amund7,

Nice work on the app. Purchased your app, cable and MX dongle and all works great.

Since you've mentioned you'd appreciate feedback here is mine. Please don't take any of it as criticism.

Inside, outside and one other temp show as 86.5 with metric units selected which is clearly wrong. Tested this on my mates MX90D and he gets the exact same numbers, which are static btw.

The text on some of the gauges doesn't scale well when using size+ or size-

I have taken photos of all my diagnostic screens on two occasions I had short access to them. I would be happy to share them.

Perhaps you could mod the battery module tab to more closely resemble the Tesla one. A more challenging one would be the heating/cooling schematic Tesla has.

Also, as others have mentioned, I'm not quite sure where the csv/raw log files go.

Cheers

Jayson

Thanks!

I never heard the inside/outside temps does not work with Model X, that is new info. Does the rest of the HVAC tab seem to work as it should?

I have a dream of copying the HVAC screen, but thus far we are missing a lot of signals, such as pump speeds, fan speeds, valve openings. I am hunting for them, but I need you guys'es help.

Hopefully I can soon release a version containing a CAN dump log feature, for us to analyze and hunt for new packets.

The BMS tab was meant to resemble the Tesla BMS screen, is that the one you're looking at? What do you feel is missing in it?

About gauges scaling, please post screenshots, all fonts should scale the same way, but there is a known bug that sometimes 1 gauge will not initialize correctly and get stuck with both font sizes and the displayed values (gauge is 'dead'). It is alredy fixed, pending next release.

Log files go in sdcard/ScanMyTesla. Problem is with later androids, 'sdcard' can be named a 100 things depending on your phone brand, and I have yet to find a way to navigate directly into that folder automatically. Will fix it at some point.

Thank you for your detailed feedback :)

• Helpful
Hi "amund7"

Thanks for the prompt reply. Again, the following is in now way intended to be a criticism of your hard work. I'm just taking you up on your offer to provide feedback to make the app as good as the Tesla diagnostic screens. I don't understand why Tesla doesn't let us access these read only screens anyway.

I will get some screen shots to show inside/outside temp.

Here is a photo of my battery tab. Your batt tab is very similar ie all the same data, just Tesla's version I think is indicative of the actual module layout and the colours seem easier to read. The blue you use for showing the low temp is hard to read on my phone on a dark background. The white boxes around the 6 brick values per module makes it easier to discern the values, for me at least.

20170828_144924.jpg

I love this below screen and it would be awesome to have it truly represent dual motor cars. This seems to be a Model S (3 radiators) single drive schematic. It may be the power station controller in me but this is what I'm used to looking at at work and I particularly like this screen when charging

20170828_141638.jpg

Anyway, thanks again and I'll get back to you with those screen shots.

Thanks

Jayson

BTW, what is your name?

Compatibility info: Trekpow OBD2 Bluetooth scanner works with SMT. It seems SMT works in ELM327 mode.
This adapter also works with TM-Spy, but not in BLE mode. I had to use BT4.0 Paired mode.

So far, no stability issues. It can connect to both apps even after vehicle took a few long sleeps. This adapter is also smaller, so it can easily be stowed under the cubby. I used right-bottom deep space (RHD).