Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, does anyone know if the scanmytesla app works on Android Go OS? Or do I need a device with the full sized version of Android? I’m an Apple user so will be buying an android tablet purely for the scanmytesla app.

Hello, does anyone know if the scanmytesla app works on Android Go OS? Or do I need a device with the full sized version of Android? I’m an Apple user so will be buying an android tablet purely for the scanmytesla app.

I don’t know the answer to your question. But I also use an iPhone, so I went to Walmart and bought a Samsung J7 phone running android 8 for $40. The phone is sold for use on one of Walmart’s prepaid cell services. I never activated the cell service.

Be careful getting a phone that is sold for Verizon cell service. I originally bought an LG phone and then noticed in small print on the box that the WiFi service would not operate until the cell service is activated. I later found out that Verizon marketed phones are set up that way. So I returned the phone and bought the Samsung J7.

I don’t know the answer to your question. But I also use an iPhone, so I went to Walmart and bought a Samsung J7 phone running android 8 for $40. The phone is sold for use on one of Walmart’s prepaid cell services. I never activated the cell service.

Be careful getting a phone that is sold for Verizon cell service. I originally bought an LG phone and then noticed in small print on the box that the WiFi service would not operate until the cell service is activated. I later found out that Verizon marketed phones are set up that way. So I returned the phone and bought the Samsung J7.

Thank you for the advice. I'm an Apple user and came to this thread asking for a low cost, bare bone Android phone and I had no clue where to even start! $40 seems worth it for a new phone and not something beat to hell off eBay.

Hopefully there are some in-store deals as I can't find it for $40 listed online.

Hi! Is there any way to get information about if the car is detecting something in its blindspot (when the touchscreen shows red lines-- not the last second audio warning)? Just knowing the yes/ no status of the blindspot would suffice.

The red blindspot indicator is not in a good position (ie the touchscreen) to see when you're changing lanes and being able to see that information on the app could potentially put the warning in a more visible place.

thanks!

PS: do you have any plans to make an Apple app?

IOS version is underway. Will take some time though.

I have not seen the blindspot indicators as anything separate, what makes you think it's a yes/no question? As the cars in the display are 3d, with position, direction etc... But still, there is a lot of info out there.

IOS version is underway. Will take some time though.

I have not seen the blindspot indicators as anything separate, what makes you think it's a yes/no question? As the cars in the display are 3d, with position, direction etc... But still, there is a lot of info out there.

I’m not a programmer, but I’m just guessing that there could be yes/no data based on the touchscreen showing a red line when there’s something in the blind spot (and no red line when the lane is open). I’m also guessing that another yes/no output happens when the last-second audio alert comes on, but I’d much rather know the blind spot state before that happens.

I hope to see your iOS app in the future. Guess I’ll be dusting off my old android phone for now ;).

Frank

Reactions: amund7
Finally got the app working with an ODBLink MX+
Not how to interpret what I am looking at to.see if my 2017 S75D has battery degradation.
Have attached pics if anyone can interpret for me?
Tx

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191123-150559.jpg
    Screenshot_20191123-150559.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20191123-150524.jpg
    Screenshot_20191123-150524.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20191123-150252.jpg
    Screenshot_20191123-150252.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20191123-150040.jpg
    Screenshot_20191123-150040.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 90
Not how to interpret what I am looking at to.see if my 2017 S75D has battery degradation.
Tx

I think you need to charge to 100% then take the measurements. You are looking for cell voltage max to be 4.2 (or higher than 4.18) unless you have a software limited battery, but I think the 75s are not software locked.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Thanks for validating that I am not the only one that is red dot-less. Also of note is that when I do start recording the tabs on the top all get grayed out so you can not switch between the different tabs for viewing. I quickly tried UPDLogger and had some performance issues so I have been trying Datplot (DatPlot - From raw data to report ready plots in under five minutes) which I have used before which is well documented, stable and very flexible for making strip charts

From what I can tell the time stamps are in milliseconds, not seconds, so you would need to convert the milliseconds to hh:mm:ss.fff which Datplot will understand. In Excel you can convert the milliseconds to the hh:mm:ss.fff format with the following formula: CONCATENATE(TEXT(INT(A2/1000)/86400,"hh:mm:ss"),".",A2-(INT(A2/1000)*1000)) where A2 is the cell that contains the millisecond time stamp. An example of the "how to" conversion can be found at: How to convert milliseconds to time in Excel?. I tried it on my file and it worked fine with Datplot. The thing I like about Datplot is the ability to easily zoom and pan in on the data and once you have things setup the way you like them you can use that template to easily swap new data files in and out with the view that you like. UDPLogger has some nice ease of use as well.

I've been playing more with this DatPlot tool and it is pretty cool and efficient. (Will be visiting my son and we may test to see how the new Hold Mode option looks via SMT and DatPlot data. My X is AP2.0 and no PM motor).

In Excel I do a 'Custom' format using: 'hh:mm:ss.000' as mask/template.
=CONCATENATE(TEXT(INT(B2/1000)/86400,"hh:mm:ss"),".",B2-(INT(B2/1000)*1000))+TIMEVALUE("00:00:00")

To add an offset and match up with TeslaFI.COM raw data download as needed I do '+TIMEVALUE("00:00:00")'. and adjust '00:00:00' to match TeslaFI.

As an example, below is to Pane (right click, add pane) and 3 plots on top (right click, add plot curve). Bottom graphic is how you tell DatPlot that you have a header line.

2b7iaMz.jpg

Red is the header line option of '1'. Green below is just the Excel formatted time that DatPlot likes. After import you signify this column will be used for X-axis in the top right corner drop down box.

NlxvxgE.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Krash
Tx
Your screenshot shows Nominal Full Pack at 70.8 kWh. It is generally accepted that 75's came new around 72.6 kWh. So you're degraded 2.5%, which is good. For comparison, my 2016 S75 has been around 4.8% for quite a while (now 35K miles.)

Last edited:
Reactions: gangzoom
Your screenshot shows Nominal Full Pack at 70.8 kWh. It is generally accepted that 75's came new around 72.6 kWh. So you're degraded 2.5%, which is good. For comparison, my 2016 S75 has been around 4.8% for quite a while (now 35K miles.)
Thanks for the comparison. With the Canadian winters I really see a huge drop in range and was wondering if battery degradation had anything to do with it. It would appear not in my case , so I guess less aggressive driving and using seat heater instead of HVAC is called for to maintain some semblance of range..

Our 2017 75D X is showing 68.5kWh nominal with 64.5kWh usable.

I've never seen anything close to 72kWh usable even on a single long trip based on what trip meter reports. The most I've seen is an extrapolated 68kWh, most of the time 66kWh.

49120294743_1446634513_c_d.jpg

Hey guys, I have Scan My Tesla for a Model 3. It works nicely, but I cannot seem to get the unit to generate a log file. I can press the red button and have it flashing that indicates it is logging, and then press it again to stop.

I then go to the android device (a tablet) that is apparently logging and cannot find the file anywhere on it. Any tips on where to look and what the app names them?

Thanks in advance!

As I’m normally using iOS it’s not working very well :) I bought a cable with a tested dongle from the German manufacturer of cables. I use an Huawei to try to connect to the dongle and it says that it’s connected (without pin?!) but there’s no communication to the app?

Any known problems connecting with a older huawei with android 5.1?

Attachments

• 59D69160-BD46-43B5-B858-A6FF5FB54D61.jpeg
    59D69160-BD46-43B5-B858-A6FF5FB54D61.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 77
... In Excel you can convert the milliseconds to the hh:mm:ss.fff format with the following formula: CONCATENATE(TEXT(INT(A2/1000)/86400,"hh:mm:ss"),".",A2-(INT(A2/1000)*1000)) where A2 is the cell that contains the millisecond time stamp. ...

That formula had a flaw/bug where it was suppressing leading zeros. That made the graph line jump around. Use the blue rectangle as a substitute for isolating the milliseconds part. Red 0/zeros was just a comparison of Col B and Col C showing when it was wroong for my example below.
https://i.imgur.com/rC9QxGv.jpg
rC9QxGv.jpg