Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60 packets per second, that's cute! OBDLink LX does 750 packets per second if you add enough signals to the Perf tab :D

Yeah sure, more is theoretically always better, but it depends on your use case. For me, having a dozen values in a tab that update once or twice a second is more than enough.

Maybe once you release an iOS version, I’ll splurge for the MX+ :D

Yeah sure, more is theoretically always better, but it depends on your use case. For me, having a dozen values in a tab that update once or twice a second is more than enough.

Maybe once you release an iOS version, I’ll splurge for the MX+ :D

Actually, when I realize it actually has a name, and I've heard it before (Konnwei), and it's 16 bucks, that is quite an impressive package.
The problem with many other cheap adapters is they have no name, and even if someone tested 1 and it's great and you buy the exactly same looking one, it might be completely different internals and not work at all... But now I know I can reccommend Konnwei. Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Actually, when I realize it actually has a name, and I've heard it before (Konnwei), and it's 16 bucks, that is quite an impressive package.
The problem with many other cheap adapters is they have no name, and even if someone tested 1 and it's great and you buy the exactly same looking one, it might be completely different internals and not work at all... But now I know I can reccommend Konnwei. Thanks!

Most welcome :)
Thanks again for all the work you put into SMT!

but that's a pain since I stow the OBDLink behind the plastic trim above the OBD plug (e.g. rear bottom of center console). Every time it stops working I have to pull the trim off and reset.

New to SMT, just installed the MX and cable yesterday.

I don't see a good way of stowing the cable. Right now the cubby is loose, and I cant seem to remove it fully. I do have an Evannex cubby drawer I would like to re-install in the cubby, so I don't want the cable and MX inside there..
'
Also, is there a way to see WOT numbers? I am the second owner, and the car was a demo before that..

New to SMT, just installed the MX and cable yesterday.
I don't see a good way of stowing the cable. Right now the cubby is loose, and I cant seem to remove it fully. I do have an Evannex cubby drawer I would like to re-install in the cubby, so I don't want the cable and MX inside there..
Also, is there a way to see WOT numbers? I am the second owner, and the car was a demo before that..
I have the orig cubby and just cut a small hole in the top of it so I could feed the cable and LX adapter thru it. Nice when I have to reset/unplug the adapter.

What are WOT numbers? Silly to use unknown/rare acronyms :) -- related to the battery numbers below for lifetime charging? (LR TM3 below).

2yoMzoQ.jpg

WOT...Wide Open Throttle, ie, number of times the go pedal is depressed to the floor. I know Tesla tracks this...
haha, I've definitely know 'WOT' but didn't think about it in the electric car context ... just the gas/ICE cars! I didn't recall they monitored 'WOT' events which I guess would indicate tracking or just heavy foot drivers. As well as wear and tear on the drivetrain hardware (I did have my front shafts replaces because of the shutter (P90DL) ).

SMT readings google doc link: Scan My Tesla readings

WOT...Wide Open Throttle, ie, number of times the go pedal is depressed to the floor. I know Tesla tracks this...

How do you know the track this and what do you believe they use it for? The number of WOT applications itself doesn't seem relevant. For instance, I'm likely to go WOT on the interstate if I need to pass. WOT on a SR+/RWD vs a P3D/P100D has a very different result.

How do you know the track this and what do you believe they use it for? The number of WOT applications itself doesn't seem relevant. For instance, I'm likely to go WOT on the interstate if I need to pass. WOT on a SR+/RWD vs a P3D/P100D has a very different result.
It was reported elsewhere on this forum, and I think Bjorn Nyland also commented on it.

One poster claims that Tesla does not track this anymore.

I am curious since my car was a demo car for 1500 miles..

So I have the dreaded LX problem too. Decided to try the MX, it is worse! At least the LX would work after connecting, but the MX will fail mid trip.

Sorry if this work-around idea has been covered, this is a LONG tread, but would closing down some of the data points help? I wonder if that is what's causing the MX to fail mid-trip.

It is really a shame there are no alternatives to the ScanTool products in terms of bandwidth. It appears from past posts that they don't care about this problem. I ordered a cheapo dongle and will return both ScanTool products if the cheapo can at least provide reasonable throughput.

One of our users managed to push OBDLink into actually working on solving this problem. And this time they seem to mean it. So that's great news.

For me, the most definite cause of hangup is when doing CAN dumps, which takes in as much can data as it can eat, without any filters. For normal use, in a tab with a finite number of signals, they very rarely hang at all for me. So yeah, I believe cutting down the data points or just using some of the predefined tabs (other than All) will help.

PS. In my experience with MX (10+ years old, but new firmware), LX and MX+, they are all the same. They all work a random time until they hang.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
One of our users managed to push OBDLink into actually working on solving this problem. And this time they seem to mean it. So that's great news.

For me, the most definite cause of hangup is when doing CAN dumps, which takes in as much can data as it can eat, without any filters. For normal use, in a tab with a finite number of signals, they very rarely hang at all for me. So yeah, I believe cutting down the data points or just using some of the predefined tabs (other than All) will help.

PS. In my experience with MX (10+ years old, but new firmware), LX and MX+, they are all the same. They all work a random time until they hang.

Wow that's great to hear!? Any more details around this? Unless by 'users' you meant me, I doubt it - haha.

I'm actually working with one of their techs (Shubert) and he said he's out of ideas (as of yesterday) and asked me to send the unit in for testing.

Edit: I misread your post - my brain went right to "this has been solved" instead of "working on it". Either way still good news that OBDLink is taking the issue seriously!

So yeah, I believe cutting down the data points or just using some of the predefined tabs (other than All) will help.

I have had it hang on the PERF or TEMPS tabs, but I don't use the other tabs much, never use ALL.

Only used the MX like twice since I got it last week. I guess it hung up, could not get it to connect. Had to pull the cubby down and press the BT button. Is this a common occurrence?

Well I think we are seeing 2 different problems:

1. Sleep. Adapter falls asleep and can't be woken up by the app or the car. Slow blink of yellow power light, can be woken by pressing the button. Could be remedied by running sleep setting ST commands mentioned previously in this thread.

2. Adapter 'hangs'. This happens during use, often during heavy use with lots of can traffic. Bluetooth and power lamp are steady ON, but no life on either car or bluetooth traffic lights. Will not wake up by any command, or button. Only remedy is to unplug and replug.

#1 I believed to be a very rare occurance, only seen on LX adapters, and only a very narrow batch sold several years ago. 2 users in this thread had it, managed to fix by changing sleep commands. I am still waiting for more data on this, if I am to implement these settings in the app, but thought it was only those 2 people. If you are seeing it now today, please report it to me so we can dig deeper. Try the sleep commands and report back if that solves it.

#2 is the issue I see with all 3 OBDLink adapters occationally, at random intervals. This is the issue OBDLink is now finally working on trying to solve. This was Schubert confirming they are working on it, so don't send your units back yet, let's give them some time and see if they can make a firmware fix. Then all affected users (probably ALL OBDLink owners) could just flash the new firmware and the problem would be solved forever.

Well I think we are seeing 2 different problems:

1. Sleep. Adapter falls asleep and can't be woken up by the app or the car. Slow blink of yellow power light, can be woken by pressing the button. Could be remedied by running sleep setting ST commands mentioned previously in this thread.

2. Adapter 'hangs'. This happens during use, often during heavy use with lots of can traffic. Bluetooth and power lamp are steady ON, but no life on either car or bluetooth traffic lights. Will not wake up by any command, or button. Only remedy is to unplug and replug.

#1 I believed to be a very rare occurance, only seen on LX adapters, and only a very narrow batch sold several years ago. 2 users in this thread had it, managed to fix by changing sleep commands. I am still waiting for more data on this, if I am to implement these settings in the app, but thought it was only those 2 people. If you are seeing it now today, please report it to me so we can dig deeper. Try the sleep commands and report back if that solves it.

#2 is the issue I see with all 3 OBDLink adapters occationally, at random intervals. This is the issue OBDLink is now finally working on trying to solve. This was Schubert confirming they are working on it, so don't send your units back yet, let's give them some time and see if they can make a firmware fix. Then all affected users (probably ALL OBDLink owners) could just flash the new firmware and the problem would be solved forever.

I forgot to mention that I updated to the latest firmware and ran the ST sleep commands, my LX still fails to reconnect to bluetooth on occasion, requiring a power-cycle (pull from OBD plug and replace).

Have we explored the firmware versions? IOW, what is the firmware edition of LX's that are working OK, I could try to revert to that version.

I forgot to mention that I updated to the latest firmware and ran the ST sleep commands, my LX still fails to reconnect to bluetooth on occasion, requiring a power-cycle (pull from OBD plug and replace).

Have we explored the firmware versions? IOW, what is the firmware edition of LX's that are working OK, I could try to revert to that version.

On $50-$100 things, shouldn't OBDLink do this research on their own firmware for us... what do you think :) Let's hope they find a solution from their ongoing investigation.

@amund7 riddle me this:

As reported by SMT, Max charge power = 91.8kW

But I was charging at 139kW at the exact same time, which also shows up in SMT.

Similar discrepancy in max charge current vs actual current. What gives?

View attachment 511824

My best guess is that superchargers break the rules / this is not what controls supercharging limits. I suspect this changed last summer, when all cars got the improved supercharger speeds, and also changes to temperature setpoints.

I think AC charging follows this max rule, and I know regen follows it.

My best guess is that superchargers break the rules / this is not what controls supercharging limits. I suspect this changed last summer, when all cars got the improved supercharger speeds, and also changes to temperature setpoints.

I think AC charging follows this max rule, and I know regen follows it.

Interesting, I wonder if the Max charge power is just for AC then? Though that wouldn’t make much sense given the low limit of AC charging anyway (my S with dual chargers hit about 20kW at most).

Anyway, separate question for you @amund7 : when do you think you’ll release the version that supports concurrent miles and °C display?