Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is coming as part of the big rewrite to make IOS version, and easing the Android version into the same code base. Can't say exactly when. But during this spring, summer at the latest.

You know this is the most important thing for us all and we expect you to drop everything else in your life and only work on the App full time 24/7 until it is complete right? From what I hear coding is super simple so it should only take you what maybe a couple days full time? HAHA :D

Thank you for all your hard work! Just know that no matter how good it is we will always complain. :)

You know this is the most important thing for us all and we expect you to drop everything else in your life and only work on the App full time 24/7 until it is complete right? From what I hear coding is super simple so it should only take you what maybe a couple days full time? HAHA :D

Thank you for all your hard work! Just know that no matter how good it is we will always complain. :)

I am very much aware! A few pages back, there were 2 guys arguing over which color the rec button could have had. For 2 pages straight! So that tells me, I can't please everyone, and I can't listen to all ideas or complaints right away, I have to accumulate a certain number of opinions... and try to pick the ones that are doable, feasible, and will please the most users.

I am very much aware! A few pages back, there were 2 guys arguing over which color the rec button could have had. For 2 pages straight! So that tells me, I can't please everyone, and I can't listen to all ideas or complaints right away, I have to accumulate a certain number of opinions... and try to pick the ones that are doable, feasible, and will please the most users.

You should change the color of the Rec button in the next update...just to upset them more. Maybe pink... haha.

@amund7 , I have a few questions about SMT....
  1. Are there other data streams on the buses that we just don't know enough to report(or haven't discovered) , or does the ALL tab show all the bus data that the cars generate?
  2. Why do I see actual data on my RWD TM3 for "front oil flow", since I obviously don't have a front motor at all.... what is this data that is reported?
  3. Have you been asked to allow/show calculated values? For example it would be nice to use SOC x constant = Range in miles, or show 1 - [(SOC x constant) / 325] = battery degradation % ....
Thanks again for a fantastic app. The data geek inside me loves it!

1. Are there other data streams on the buses that we just don't know enough to report(or haven't discovered) , or does the ALL tab show all the bus data that the cars generate?
  2. Why do I see actual data on my RWD TM3 for "front oil flow", since I obviously don't have a front motor at all.... what is this data that is reported?
  3. Have you been asked to allow/show calculated values? For example it would be nice to use SOC x constant = Range in miles, or show 1 - [(SOC x constant) / 325] = battery degradation % ....
Main source see this post: Diagnostic Port and Data Access - Tesla Owners Online

1. There are many buses, depending on car model. Comma.ai controls steering and throttle through one of the other buses for Model S, and has decoded a lot of signals on that bus. Check their comma cabana software. Our wiring setup can easily be rewired/re-pinned to pick up different buses, but the app won't understand. It could however capture the raw data (CAN dump), then analyze that data on PC, if you have the definitions. It would require some better hardware to capture more than one bus at the same time. Comma.ai has the Panda, that I believe can get 3 buses simultaneously. But this is (currently) far outside the scope of Scan My Tesla.

The other buses has some cool stuff, such as doors/windows/wheel speeds/tire pressures/suspension heights (for air suspension), but I think most of the community agrees the Powertrain bus, which we are on, contains the most interesting info, I think there is no drive unit or battery info on the other buses.

2. I believe the front & rear oil stuff has been swapped in recent firmware updates, I am aware & it's on the list. That means, what you see is really your rear motor.

3. Lots of calculated values in Scan My Tesla. Model S and X reports numerical range, but it's not a straight constant, I believe it has a kink near the bottom. I just discovered the range numbers in Model 3 as well, it will be included in an update soon.

Thank you for your kind words! :)

Pardon me if this is a newbie question. I'm coming from an ios background. How do you set up Scan My Tesla to log to an SD card rather than internal storage? I've got a micro SD card in the Android phone my son donated to me, that card is set up as removable storage and the phone can see it, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to point logs at it. Logging does work to internal storage.

Pardon me if this is a newbie question. I'm coming from an ios background. How do you set up Scan My Tesla to log to an SD card rather than internal storage? I've got a micro SD card in the Android phone my son donated to me, that card is set up as removable storage and the phone can see it, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to point logs at it. Logging does work to internal storage.

That is not currently possible, but I will note it as a future feature.

For my own use, I have an app called DriveSync, that copies & empties that folder into Google Drive whenever I'm on wifi, it works very well for my use.

For my own use, I have an app called DriveSync, that copies & empties that folder into Google Drive whenever I'm on wifi, it works very well for my use.

Thanks for the quick reply. I had thought writing to SD cards was possible because I had seen this in the change log "Logs are now written to /sdcard/ScanMyTesla/ (App can only get permission to write logs on Android 5.0. Browsing for logs is acting strange in pre-5.0)"

Thanks for the quick reply. I had thought writing to SD cards was possible because I had seen this in the change log "Logs are now written to /sdcard/ScanMyTesla/ (App can only get permission to write logs on Android 5.0. Browsing for logs is acting strange in pre-5.0)"
100% recommend DriveSync thanks to Amund7. So handy. If you don't have a Google GMail "account" that gives you a Google Drive account then just created one for use with your Android phone.
DriveSync: scan my tesla - Reccommended software

In Android, /sdcard/ means internal storage. Very logical :)

100% recommend DriveSync thanks to Amund7. So handy. If you don't have a Google GMail "account" that gives you a Google Drive account then just created one for use with your Android phone.
DriveSync: scan my tesla - Reccommended software

I am sure there are many other apps like this, depending on your preferred online storage.

Reactions: GarthG
Hey @amund7 / all, just thought I'd circle back and let you know that one of those cheap little OBD extension w/power switch solved my LX woes. Kind of odd but it very rarely hangs any more and if it does sleep a quick flip of the switch usually fixes it. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Yep, my $15 Konnwei adapter has given me no issues so far. Maybe I’ll splurge for the MX+ once @amund7 releases an iOS version :D

Anyone know of a place to get the adaptor for the M3 in USA? I want to roll the dice and hope everything is the same on the Model Y and be able to get all initial data on day 1 of delivery!

OBDII Adapters for Tesla Vehicles | GPS Fleet Tracking | Fleet Tracker

Please report back how that works out for you! You should probably check how the plugs look in the car before you order, I suspect it's not likely they are in the same position or plug type as the Model 3. But I hope the CAN signals are mostly the same, then the app will work once you can connect correctly.

And until the plugs are available, there is always the Can Crocodile, I used that before I could get the plugs for Model 3.

OBDII Adapters for Tesla Vehicles | GPS Fleet Tracking | Fleet Tracker

Please report back how that works out for you! You should probably check how the plugs look in the car before you order, I suspect it's not likely they are in the same position or plug type as the Model 3. But I hope the CAN signals are mostly the same, then the app will work once you can connect correctly.

And until the plugs are available, there is always the Can Crocodile, I used that before I could get the plugs for Model 3.

Ya I have no idea if it'll be the same plugs was just going to risk it. What's the can crocodile? I Google it and it was just a bunch of crocodiles lol