Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the app crash and close, or just stop giving data, because the OBDLINK is locked up?

Have you tried the new betas (beta 3), I already have one report saying their LX worked better, however I believe that's just a coincidence. I don't believe the beta fixes an obdlink, but the code is reworked and slightly different so it might tick off the obdlink less, at least it should not crash and should reconnect more gracefully.

Please report your issues to OBDLink. If enough people report the same issue, they MUST do something with this at some point.

When driving, the app closes and crashes I think. Only happened twice, due to lack of driving.

More likely, failed to connect. Hangs on the "initialize" step.

I just relaunch the app and select car and device, then it usually connects. This ire required about 2/3 of the time. Only a third of the time do I connect the first time.

About 5-10% of the time, have to go to car and pull out the LX to connect. This also happens when driving.

Because I have the LX under the cubby, easy to do.

Hmm, got a LX a few weeks ago, haven't used it much, but tried it last night after some of these reports and it had indeed locked up and wouldn't connect.

Had to unplug/plug it back in. For those of you in contact w/OBDLink let them know that it appears to affect multiple people. Happy to help troubleshoot, too if they want more people to collect data.

The freezeup issues have always plagued the OBDlinks at least in the Tesla. Had it with the LX for a year then again with the MX+. Kind of inexcusable for an otherwise top-end product. But I think it's just that it's operating in an unusual condition that it isn't normally subjected to, either with no typical J1929 OBD data/connection, or just the sheer insane amount of data on Tesla's CAN network.

One thing you can do is make sure it is powered by a switched 12v that turns off when your car goes to sleep. I know a lot of Model 3 harnesses improperly supply power from the security controller instead of from the lighter socket accessory circuit as they should. Moving the 12v connection older will at least turn off power to the OBDlink so it starts up fresh when you wake the car up

Reactions: amund7
The freezeup issues have always plagued the OBDlinks at least in the Tesla. Had it with the LX for a year then again with the MX+. Kind of inexcusable for an otherwise top-end product. But I think it's just that it's operating in an unusual condition that it isn't normally subjected to, either with no typical J1929 OBD data/connection, or just the sheer insane amount of data on Tesla's CAN network.

One thing you can do is make sure it is powered by a switched 12v that turns off when your car goes to sleep. I know a lot of Model 3 harnesses improperly supply power from the security controller instead of from the lighter socket accessory circuit as they should. Moving the 12v connection older will at least turn off power to the OBDlink so it starts up fresh when you wake the car up
Don't give them excuses or you risk being like them :). It's just a lazy development where they don't care about programming and testing the code correctly. It pretty much looks like memory leaks - it hangs even on a sleeping car after few days.

Let's do the support of your server on SMT and let's forget obdlink like a nightmare.

Please elaborate a bit...

My harness on the MS only connects to the CAN bus connector.

Car not sleeping at the moment, but green light is on the LX. Can't connect unless I open a door...

I noticed recently getting some debugging traces (?) on my SMT app.

I wonder if anyone noticed the same display?

Note: I don't think having set any Debugging Option in the Developer Option
of my Android Samsung Galaxy Note phone.

I updated the SMT app to 2.11 Beta but I still get the debugging traces.

I'm using an ODBLink MX+

I have a 2018/10 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with the latest Software version 2021.1.4

2021 02 25 - SMT 2.11 Beta - TM3 2021.4.3  .jpg

I noticed recently getting some debugging traces (?) on my SMT app.

I wonder if anyone noticed the same display?

Note: I don't think having set any Debugging Option in the Developer Option
of my Android Samsung Galaxy Note phone.

I updated the SMT app to 2.11 Beta but I still get the debugging traces.

I'm using an ODBLink MX+

I have a 2018/10 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with the latest Software version 2021.1.4

View attachment 640158

This one is on:

upload_2021-2-26_14-26-59.png

Reactions: hiroshiy
The BMS data is the best part. Seeing every string, cell temps, knowing when I have regen, cell mismatch, and early warning of failing module or string.

Amund, I think today there is a new market opportunity for Hundai owners.

It would be ionic, I mean ironic, if a Tesla app helped them avoid fires.

Meanwhile, I don't want to kill my Tesla, so I won't be parking next to other electric cars until the recalls are finished.

Reactions: amund7
Don't give them excuses or you risk being like them :). It's just a lazy development where they don't care about programming and testing the code correctly. It pretty much looks like memory leaks - it hangs even on a sleeping car after few days.

Let's do the support of your server on SMT and let's forget obdlink like a nightmare.

I'm not making excuses for them, I'm just speculating an explanation.

Please elaborate a bit...

My harness on the MS only connects to the CAN bus connector.

Car not sleeping at the moment, but green light is on the LX. Can't connect unless I open a door...

I was talking about 3/Y rear console harnesses. I don't know how the S/X diagnostic harnesses work.

Do you know who makes one like that? I'm using the one from gpstrackingcanada.com.