Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, others are reporting in a Model Y 82 kWh pack thread that this is working to get into the diagnostic screens. -- Post: Model Y 82kW Battery Pack

I could do it in my 2017 X 100D but my kid could not in his 2018 TM3 AWD LR.

Note someone in that thread indicated it worked for them using a capital D -- Post: Model Y 82kW Battery Pack

OMMnAce.jpg

So of course I was taking pictures of the screen ... I don't think I'll install the next OTA until FSD 10 show up ... hahaha
My version is funny in that it begins with develop :)
GoCpGG1.jpg

Trouble getting in? Brake to turn 'on'.

From the reddit thread.

I tried, but I'm not on this software yet. Probably a mistake Tesla made. I guess they halt the rollout once they realize it, and I will never get it, but I'm hopeful.

I have a fun task for you, go through all the data and see if they match Scan My Tesla. If you find a value that is off let me know!

And of someone with a Model 3 or Y can do the same that would be helpful. Please compare against the latest beta, either IOS or Android. I am particularily interested in the torque numbers for this later firmware, the definitions changed recently, I got the new definitions from JWardell, but I am not sure anyone has been able to confirm the correct scaling yet.

Installing 24.4 now :)
I looked at the output from the TM3 from a reddit poster that put 40+ images here:
It does not look the like 3/Y have the following two screens which I see on the Pre-Raven X (vertical screen). The thermal flow I get at it doesn't work well on a horizontal screen. All the data is there it seems from looking at the above imgur TM3 pictures.

3VKbuDA.jpg

Cjbg2zc.jpg

Reactions: JWardell
I looked at the output from the TM3 from a reddit poster that put 40+ images here:
It does not look the like 3/Y have the following two screens which I see on the Pre-Raven X (vertical screen). The thermal flow I get at it doesn't work well on a horizontal screen. All the data is there it seems from looking at the above imgur TM3 pictures.

3VKbuDA.jpg

Cjbg2zc.jpg

Yup, I have access now. Will do the long job of looking through it all, and comparing with live Scan My Tesla, checking if it is in fact reporting the correct numbers, especially interesting on the newer signals we might not be 100% sure of the scaling, or the naming of that specific signal. Having these screens can also help the guesswork of 'what are we seeing' when reverse engineering this stuff.

Yup, I have access now. Will do the long job of looking through it all, and comparing with live Scan My Tesla, checking if it is in fact reporting the correct numbers, especially interesting on the newer signals we might not be 100% sure of the scaling, or the naming of that specific signal. Having these screens can also help the guesswork of 'what are we seeing' when reverse engineering this stuff.
That's awesome to have an 'original' source to compare to. I did take a couple pictures vs screen shots (below). Nothing stood out in the little looking I've done tho.

You likely already did this but I turned my WiFi off in the car via doing a 'Forget' of my SSID after I got 24.4.
I think if you just turn 'off' the WiFi that there is text that show it will automatically be turned back 'on' the next time you start your car.

I see this message now 'download 2021.24.5 is waiting for wifi to download' for my car. :)
I don't know if 24.5 will turn off that access but I'd guess it is not far off.

zXa3bIU.jpg

PhpeaF2.jpg

So in summary, what is the issue with 2021.24.4? There are lots of technical comments & pics in this thread, but I'm not sure what the issue is... We have 2021.24.4 on our S now & 2021.24.5 is waiting for wifi to download...

It appears that Tesla accidentally (most assume) that in 2021.24.4 (or sooner), when you go to the 'secret' input dialog that you can enter a dyno mode used to test HP and torque ranges. Along with that, it lets you into a set of detailed diagnostics screens that typically only Tesla technicians have access to. A mobile tech did that at my house once but he had a 24 hr expiring 4 digit pin that let him in. Hopefully, that summary lets you know enough since you are in a ScanMyTesla app that gives you tech details.

Exiting that mode requires something along the lines of pressing the top white button 'Exit Diagnostics Mode and Restart' and then maybe a 'Power Off' service button, exiting the car for a few minutes, and then getting in a driving a short distance to get ride of the 'Dyno mode' large red 'water marks' all over your drivers screen (if in a S/X). -- A few post on exiting here: Model Y 82kW Battery Pack

My initial summary post in this thread:

I have 2021.24.5 downloaded. I suppose it will remove this 'bug'. Does anyone know?
Per Reddit in 2021.24.5 the "bug" is removed.

I can confirm this! 😢

Got the notification on Monday that 2021.24.5 was ready to be downloaded on both my Model S and my wife's Model X. I did a quick search and I couldn't find any info on this firmware regarding the status of the amazing Dynotest gift Tesla gave us, so I went ahead and sacrificed my wife's X with the update 😬.

Lo and behold, Tesla DID patch the Dynotest on 2021.24.5 and 2021.24.10 (for Model 3 and Model Y). So if you want to keep the Dynotest access on your vehicle, STAY AWAY FROM 2021.24.5 and 2021.24.10, and disconnect your Tesla from your Wifi via the "Forget Network". I think living with the Software Update available notification on the app and the yellow indicator on the MCU is a great price to pay in order to continue keeping close tabs on our vehicle's status and health, or until Tesla forces a software update over the cellular network on us :rolleyes:.

*Puts on tin foil hat and goes to the garage to unplug the driver's seat control module so upcoming software updates fail to install...

I can confirm this! 😢

Got the notification on Monday that 2021.24.5 was ready to be downloaded on both my Model S and my wife's Model X. I did a quick search and I couldn't find any info on this firmware regarding the status of the amazing Dynotest gift Tesla gave us, so I went ahead and sacrificed my wife's X with the update 😬.

Lo and behold, Tesla DID patch the Dynotest on 2021.24.5 and 2021.24.10 (for Model 3 and Model Y). So if you want to keep the Dynotest access on your vehicle, STAY AWAY FROM 2021.24.5 and 2021.24.10, and disconnect your Tesla from your Wifi via the "Forget Network". I think living with the Software Update available notification on the app and the yellow indicator on the MCU is a great price to pay in order to continue keeping close tabs on our vehicle's status and health, or until Tesla forces a software update over the cellular network on us :rolleyes:.

*Puts on tin foil hat and goes to the garage to unplug the driver's seat control module so upcoming software updates fail to install...
I also allowed our car to download 2021.24.5 before knowing that it patched the dynotest gift, but we haven't installed it. I don't think Tesla can ever force you to install a software update, but they can do a download over LTE. In past years there were some owners who purposefully resisted software updates & eventually Tesla broke features to force them to update by no longer allowing certain access without updating their software.

Yup. Mine is already downloded (24.5), but I will do something I've never done before - postpone new updates, until there is something new I actually want. (Such as the new Plaid UI, if that will ever go fleetwide, which I guess it will at some point)

Reactions: Art VandeIay
So what have people found comparing the dyno mode outputs with ScanMyTesla?

Not to brag, or well actually to brag, Scan My Tesla has a lot of stuff that is NOT in there. On the other hand, the internal screens has a lot of stuff Scan My Tesla is missing. Most notably to me, lots of HVAC info. We have some, but I see there is a lot more.

Also the car's birthday is in there, I have seen the signal in Josh's DBC, and it's a pretty cool thing to know about your car. Actually, why doesn't tesla pop up a picture of a cake or something when it has it's birthday :)

Not to brag, or well actually to brag, Scan My Tesla has a lot of stuff that is NOT in there. On the other hand, the internal screens has a lot of stuff Scan My Tesla is missing. Most notably to me, lots of HVAC info. We have some, but I see there is a lot more.

Did you notice some comparisons like I did above where SMT has an illogical value (ie. > 100%). In the example below, would the radiator bypass being 0 value, be a reason that they have '??' for Chiller Bypass? Just a guess on my part of course.

7vv4Vp2.jpg

kdydIDT.jpg

Reactions: hybridbear
I bought the app and love it, thank you for the development. I have read conflicting things in this thread and others and just want to be certain: is there any problem leaving the OBD adapter plugged into the diagnostic cable in the console all of the time? It is obviously difficult to access hence the question. I would assume vampire drain should not be noticeable on a Tesla but wanted to be sure. Thank you.

I bought the app and love it, thank you for the development. I have read conflicting things in this thread and others and just want to be certain: is there any problem leaving the OBD adapter plugged into the diagnostic cable in the console all of the time? It is obviously difficult to access hence the question. I would assume vampire drain should not be noticeable on a Tesla but wanted to be sure. Thank you.
There is a 2-step answer to this:

1. Check if your OBD adapter loses power when the car goes to deep sleep. This depends on who built your cable, EMDS cables do this, other vendors not 100% sure. If it loses power (goes completely black) you can be sure it will have no ill-effects to leave it plugged constantly. Leave it visible from a window and check when the car is in deep sleep.

2. If it has constant power, use a quality adapter. OBDLINK has a special deep sleep mode (though it might not be enabled, check with the OBDLINK app), and most serious OBD2 vendors have similar modes. Check the specs of your adapter if it does this.

As I've been using SMT for more than a year now I thought of one potential improvement that I may not have mentioned previously. Apps I've used with previous cars like Torque Pro have a setting where the app automatically turns Bluetooth on when opening the app & then turns Bluetooth off when closing the app. @amund7 would it be possible to add something like that to SMT? Since SMT is the only thing I use Bluetooth for on my Android tablet I've gotten into the habit of turning it on & off. And since the OBDLink MX+ likes to crash I always turn off Bluetooth as soon as I close SMT so the tablet will disconnect from the MX+. It would be nice to save those steps...

2. If it has constant power, use a quality adapter. OBDLINK has a special deep sleep mode (though it might not be enabled, check with the OBDLINK app), and most serious OBD2 vendors have similar modes. Check the specs of your adapter if it does this.
@amund7 , This may helps @phaphaphooey too ... based on your remarks above I downloaded the OBDLINK app. I tested it but could not get the "connection" to work where I could verify the deep sleep mode option (BTW, I had trouble figuring out where that was. Can you point to the settings/preference section where it is at? TIA)
Actually I see it say connected to tool but could not connect to car.
It was not apparent to me that you can ONLY connect to the OBDLINK LX and change its settings?

DJidgzM.jpg
jV5wObi.jpg

ydi4Zbl.jpg
tkNmv6w.jpg