Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scan My Tesla (OBDII) Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7"

full
Do you keep the Tablet always connected to the 12V Auxiliary or 5 V USB plug?

If so, does the Tablet starts automatically when the car is unlocked and the 12 V Auxilary is on?
Or do you need to turn on the Tablet manually everytime you start the car?

Does the Tablet automatcally connect to the Bluetooth scan tool?

Do you use the following Bluetooth Scan Tool: OBDLink LX Bluetooth Scan Tool

If so, does the Tablet starts automatically when the car is unlocked and the 12 V Auxilary is on?

The OBD Scan LX unit is only OBD2 and not CAN. I believe CAN is required for the Model 3 and thus an MX/MX+ unit should be purchased.

No I do not have it setup that it starts automatically. I think there are a couple of ways to accomplish that but I don't leave it in the car all the time. I also don't think leaving the OBDLink MX+ connected all the time is secure so I also remove that when not in use as well.

Reactions: ZappCatt
No I do not have it setup that it starts automatically. I think there are a couple of ways to accomplish that but I don't leave it in the car all the time. I also don't think leaving the OBDLink MX+ connected all the time is secure so I also remove that when not in use as well.

Is there a know hackable backdoor entry to the OBDLink MX+? Why don’t you think it’s secure?

Ski

I just got my OBLink MX hooked up tonight and plan to log a couple hours of driving tomorrow. I want to capture to CSV, ultimately to augment the data I'm collecting from the API, but I really don't need the insane refresh rate for some of these metrics. I was hoping I could configure a max log rate of something like 500ms but I'm not seeing anything in Scan My Tesla to configure. Am I missing it or is there really nothing like that? Thanks!

This one is supposed to work with teh OBDLink...and is significantly cheaper than the one from Germany:
HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking

The link will take you to a cable for the 2018 cars

I bought the one for the 2019+ (I have a 2020 and got it up and running yesterday.)

It still took about a week to arrive as it shipped from their Canadian warehouse and the item had to clear customs.

I am using the OBDLINK MX + (if it makes any difference)

Last edited:
Sigh. Waiting on my package from Germany. I just got my proclip mount in and already had an MX. I even got the voucher for the free download when they shipped. The tracking number seems to be some sort of DHL Royal Mail thing though and its basically untrackable. Its been about 2 weeks since shipment. Any ideas on how long from Germany to the states these days?

Sigh. Waiting on my package from Germany. I just got my proclip mount in and already had an MX. I even got the voucher for the free download when they shipped. The tracking number seems to be some sort of DHL Royal Mail thing though and its basically untrackable. Its been about 2 weeks since shipment. Any ideas on how long from Germany to the states these days?

Could be ten business days... It is all dependent on them...

I ordered mine from the Canadian supplier and it still took about a week.
PhotoGrid_1576447444403.jpg

Interesting that dragy and scan my tesla were spot on for this 0-60 run.

Hello all. I have an OBDLink MX+, a June 2019 build LR AWD+ and an iPhone. Which cable and app would work best? I understand "Scan my Tesla" is for Android only, but what is the iOS equivalent? Thanks in advance for your input.
I don't know of any so I bought the cable, OBD module, and software. Then I picked up a Samsung Tab A 10.1" from Costco, $200.

Current technology decodes the CAN bus messages from the Teslas. There is a lot of investigation and testing going on. You'll have to find a current list and import it to what you choose to use. I just bought the kit and moved on to vehicle testing.

Bob Wilson

I don't know of any so I bought the cable, OBD module, and software. Then I picked up a Samsung Tab A 10.1" from Costco, $200.

Current technology decodes the CAN bus messages from the Teslas. There is a lot of investigation and testing going on. You'll have to find a current list and import it to what you choose to use. I just bought the kit and moved on to vehicle testing.

Bob Wilson
@bwilson4web
Which cable and which OBD module did you purchase? When you say, "find a current list and import it..." what are you referring to? Thanks!