Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scan My Tesla (OBDII) Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One gotcha for trips is that the 'distance' signal will only be able to reset, and update, if the car is ON/ready to drive.
If you start a trip with the car off, then drive a long distance with the app closed, then your distance will start at 0 when you open the app.
I will try to make a dashboard that can explain this and be intuitive.
I noticed that I need to have the App connected before I put the car in Drive.
After I started a trip, I cannot connect the App to the device, unless I got to Park.
Is that normal?

I noticed that the ODB2 could be use to get a 12 V source (Pin 4 & 5 Ground, Pin 16 Power + 12 V)

I am considering to use this to power some accessories instead to have some wires going to the Auxiliary 12 V plug, which would be cleaner.

I know that the plug is not energize when the car is asleep, and I would use a separate fuse,however

- how much current typically would be available?
5 amp

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 11.53.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 11.53.03 AM.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 125
Ive got a problem with scanmytesla.
I tried connecting it a while ago via the obd cable which came with the fleet carma monitoring system and even though i could make a connection to the obd adapter via bluetooth scan my tesla wouldnt work. If i selected the bluetooth adapter to make a connection it would just crash.

I was advised that the cable may not be compatible so i finally forked out for another cable from aliexpress which was advertised as working with SMT. Interestingly enough the fleetcarma monitoring dongle doesnt work with that cable.

Anyway i connected the obd bluetooth adapter and i still have the same issue. This is a cheap adapter but it is apparently compatible with the elm protocol. I also bought another one where i also have the same issue. I can connect to the bluetooth obd2 adapter but scan my tesla will just crash when the adapter is selected. The obd2 adapter doesnt flash or do anything fancy.

Anyone have any solution to this? I dont want to fork out lots of money for an expensive bluetooth dongle if i dont know that that is definetely the problem...

I have reinstalled scanmytesla and the sofware now doesnt crash.

It tries to connect my obd2 dongles - the PC light shines the whole time when its plugged in but when scanmytesla tries to connect the power button flashes very quickly. SMT says (very quickly so i can barely read it), applying eml237 filter. Connecting to car...

And then says read failed, socket might closed or timeout, read ret -1.

Thebluetooth adapters are both elm237 compatible and they both lead to the same result.

Last edited: