Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scan My Tesla (OBDII) Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
full
What kind of Device Holder did you used to hold the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7"?

I might be missing something obvious...but does anyone know how to add timestamps to the Scan my Tesla CSV file? Mine has packet numbers but they are fairly meaningless without some time stamps, especially with a line for each packet received (AKA hundreds per second).
In Excel I do a 'Custom' format using: 'hh:mm:ss.000' as mask/template.
=CONCATENATE(TEXT(INT(B2/1000)/86400,"hh:mm:ss"),".",TEXT(RIGHT(B2,3),"000"))

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't know of any so I bought the cable, OBD module, and software. Then I picked up a Samsung Tab A 10.1" from Costco, $200.

Current technology decodes the CAN bus messages from the Teslas. There is a lot of investigation and testing going on. You'll have to find a current list and import it to what you choose to use. I just bought the kit and moved on to vehicle testing.

Bob Wilson
That's a bit large! Where do you have it mounted?

Finally getting my setup done now that a very reasonably priced OBD2 harness adapter is available for $30.

Mostly going to be used for hypermiling with the following displayed...

Accelerator position
Consumption

Can anyone suggest what figured would be helpful for driving efficiently?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200216_095806.jpg
    20200216_095806.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 293
  • 20200216_100052.jpg
    20200216_100052.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 224
  • 20200216_095854.jpg
    20200216_095854.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 20200216_095836.jpg
    20200216_095836.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 213
  • 20200216_095912.jpg
    20200216_095912.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 229
I'm having problems getting the car powered down for the OBD adapter install. I can't get the relay disconnect clack sound.
I did the following (mentioned in other threads):
remote access turned off
phone bluetooth off
sentry off
mobile access off
opened all doors (also tried rear doors open, all doors closed)
domes lights off
HVAC off
I leaned in to select poweroff without touching the seat
Even after eight minutes, nothing.

Any other suggestions?

I leaned in to select poweroff without touching the seat
Even after eight minutes, nothing.

Any other suggestions?

Don't be so hard on yourself
open rear doors, press power off from back seat
wait until screen is dark and pumps are quiet
install harness

I've done that on 3 model 3's now, no problems. It's just a bus. They get unplugged all the time. No clunks in those cars. Also, no errors messages.

Finally getting my setup done now that a very reasonably priced OBD2 harness adapter is available for $30.

Accelerator position
Consumption

Thanks!

What type of Android device are you using as display. The aspect ratio looks atypical of a phone.

What type of Android device are you using as display. The aspect ratio looks atypical of a phone.
It's a Sony Xperia 10 Plus. A 6.5" mediocre smart phone with a display perfect for what I'm trying to achieve which is to look as OEM as possible. It's perfect for the following reasons.

1.) It's the widest screen ratio available on a smartphone at 21:9. It is also available as a 6.0" device, the Sony Xperia 10. There are other 21:9 devices coming out but do not fit the criteria to follow.
2.) Not too expensive. I found it on Amazon warehouse for $206. It was a Prime item so I wasn't worried if it ended up not being perfect being able to return for free. The 6.0" version is even cheaper.
3.) It uses an LCD screen. I knew I didn't want an OLED screen like on Samsung devices since that would make it look too bright, vivid and out of place compared to the factory touchscreen.
4.) It's available in a dark grey color which closely resembles the OE touchscreen. See attached picture.
5.) The shape is flat, square, and unobtrusive like the OE touchscreen.
6.) It has narrow bezels to make best use of device real estate while sitting behind the steering wheel.
7.) It's smallish. I knew I didn't want a tablet since those tend to be at least 7" with thicker bezels and are not available in an ultra widescreen aspect ratio. Smaller and wider screened devices block less air from the vents while displaying more information horizontally.
8.) Has a power button on the right side which makes it easy to turn on when mounted on its side.

I'm going to mount it the same distance from the main touchscreen to avoid any issues with eyes focusing from one screen to the other.

I'm not going to have too much information displayed as I want to be able to just quickly glance at it. I'll likely use a 2x1, 3x1, or 2x2 configuration.

I have requested that the developer create a theme resembling that of the OE screen with the simple number readout and units below in the same font as OE and in black and white background and the ability to invert for nighttime.

I turned off the screen lock and installed an automatic app launcher, so when I push the power button, scan my Tesla automatically opens in landscape. I am not concerned about security since there is nothing on this phone.

It's actually a terrible phone to use coming from years of using Samsung Galaxy phones. The tall screen ratio makes it a 2-handed device. Good thing it's just being utilized for it's display and processing.

Attachments

• 20200216_095936.jpg
    20200216_095936.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
It's a Sony Xperia 10 Plus. A 6.5" mediocre smart phone with a display perfect for what I'm trying to achieve which is to look as OEM as possible. It's perfect for the following reasons.

1.) It's the widest screen ratio available on a smartphone at 21:9. It is also available as a 6.0" device, the Sony Xperia 10. There are other 21:9 devices coming out but do not fit the criteria to follow.
2.) Not too expensive. I found it on Amazon warehouse for $206. It was a Prime item so I wasn't worried if it ended up not being perfect being able to return for free. The 6.0" version is even cheaper.
3.) It uses an LCD screen. I knew I didn't want an OLED screen like on Samsung devices since that would make it look too bright, vivid and out of place compared to the factory touchscreen.
4.) It's available in a dark grey color which closely resembles the OE touchscreen. See attached picture.
5.) The shape is flat, square, and unobtrusive like the OE touchscreen.
6.) It has narrow bezels to make best use of device real estate while sitting behind the steering wheel.
7.) It's smallish. I knew I didn't want a tablet since those tend to be at least 7" with thicker bezels and are not available in an ultra widescreen aspect ratio. Smaller and wider screened devices block less air from the vents while displaying more information horizontally.
8.) Has a power button on the right side which makes it easy to turn on when mounted on its side.

I'm going to mount it the same distance from the main touchscreen to avoid any issues with eyes focusing from one screen to the other.

I'm not going to have too much information displayed as I want to be able to just quickly glance at it. I'll likely use a 2x1, 3x1, or 2x2 configuration.

I have requested that the developer create a theme resembling that of the OE screen with the simple number readout and units below in the same font as OE and in black and white background and the ability to invert for nighttime.

I turned off the screen lock and installed an automatic app launcher, so when I push the power button, scan my Tesla automatically opens in landscape. I am not concerned about security since there is nothing on this phone.

It's actually a terrible phone to use coming from years of using Samsung Galaxy phones. The tall screen ratio makes it a 2-handed device. Good thing it's just being utilized for it's display and processing.

Thanks for the details. How are you going to mount it?

That's a bit large! Where do you have it mounted?
It sits in the house unless I'm planning to use it. It is in a generic pad case bought at Costco.

In operation, it sits under the screen. I use it for data recording, not my driving. When done, the case is folded up and fits between the driver seat and center console which makes it difficult to see from the outside.

Bob Wilson

Accelerator position
Consumption

Thanks!
I noticed that I cannot get the Bluetooth connection working when I am already driving.

I need to have the car in Park to get the connection working and all the display activated.

I just want to know if you find the same issue and if there is a way to have the App connected automatically as I always forget to do so?

I noticed that I cannot get the Bluetooth connection working when I am already driving.

I need to have the car in Park to get the connection working and all the display activated.

I just want to know if you find the same issue and if there is a way to have the App connected automatically as I always forget to do so?
Which adapter are you using? I've read some people having similar issues.

I have the ODBlink LX. I'll let you know when my harness arrives this week.

Which adapter are you using? I've read some people having similar issues.

I have the ODBlink LX. I'll let you know when my harness arrives this week.
I have the ODBlink MX (I wanted to have the extra iOS capability)
I just noticed that for President Day the MX is on sale at $60 instead of $80, the LX is unchnaged at $50.

Note: I can access the device from outside my car, which can be useful to check the status of the 12 V battery consumption when parked.
And also the propulsion battery, like when using a supercharger, but eventually the device get shutdown when the car goes to sleep mode.
The ODB transmitter get disconnected even if Sentry is on, I was surprised because some people said that it was always on?

Don't be so hard on yourself
wait until screen is dark and pumps are quiet
install harness

I've done that on 3 model 3's now, no problems. It's just a bus. They get unplugged all the time. No clunks in those cars. Also, no errors messages.

Ha, I guess starting fresh the next day helps. I closed the doors while sitting in the back seat and pressed the power off. Two minutes later I got the clank sound. I inserted the adapter ('18 version) and connected the Obdlink LX and pressed the button. All works great.

Does anyone know why the Scan My Tesla app works but the OBDlink app doesn't?

Also, do you all remove the OBDlink adapter when you aren't using it? No problem leaving it connected all the time?

Ha, I guess starting fresh the next day helps. I closed the doors while sitting in the back seat and pressed the power off. Two minutes later I got the clank sound. I inserted the adapter ('18 version) and connected the Obdlink LX and pressed the button. All works great.

Does anyone know why the Scan My Tesla app works but the OBDlink app doesn't?

Also, do you all remove the OBDlink adapter when you aren't using it? No problem leaving it connected all the time?

I plan on leaving it connected. Would be too much have to constantly unplug it. I left it plugged in in my last car without any problems.

The ODB transmitter gets disconnected even if Sentry is on, when the car go to sleep (clank sound).

I was surprised because in another thread, someone said that it was always on?

I got the OBDlink LX bluetooth transmitter. My Model 3 Performance is 2018. I got the harness from the GPS tracking website.

I'm using the Sony Xperia 10 Plus as my display as mentioned above.

So far no disconnect issues whether sentry is on or off. I'm quite surprised by the range. I have the phone all over my house and it's still reading data up until the car goes to sleep (clunk). Once the car wakes up, the connection is back as usual without doing anything other than turning on the phone screen.

Perhaps your disconnect issue has something to do with the display that you are using. Make sure that it doesn't allow Bluetooth to turn off to save power and also make sure than it allows Scan my Tesla to keep the device on.

I attached a screenshot from my Samsung phone but other Android devices should have a similar option under battery and power settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200226-103056.png
    Screenshot_20200226-103056.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 212

I realize this was a poor choice of words, some people think this means taking out the back seat, and physically power down the car with a switch or a fuse or whatever is under there. I just meant, touch the 'power down' button in the settings page of the touch screen. Will edit the original text to avoid confusion.

Edit: Can't edit that post, please quote it with care :)