Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scan My Tesla results

rrolsbe

Feb 18, 2017
Albuquerque
I own a 2018 M3 RWD and the following is some information I gathered using SMT.

With the car not plugged and the ambient temp around 48F the car draws 3.5KW to heat the traction battery and about 7KW max to heat the cabin for a max total of 10-11KW. When the car is plugged into my [email protected] it supplies 5+KW of the 11KW. The only option I found that would heat the cabin and NOT heat the traction battery, via the traction motor, was camping mode. I did not run the test for very long so I am not sure at what cell temp the battery heating would terminate? I do know that when actively charging the battery heating to accept a 22mph charge rate stops at around 54F. I think heating the traction battery while heating the cabin is new? I can see times where heating the cabin and NOT heating the traction battery might be my preferred option and the only way to do so is using CAMP mode.

I also monitored the rear motor power, motor torque and brake variables and it appears to regen down to a complete stop, which surprised me, and then after about a second the brake is applied. These reading were observed while set to the single pedal driving mode.

Last edited:

MoreAgain

Nov 23, 2018
San Diego
I've only recently installed the OBDII dongle and SMT app. I have not reviewed the battery data much as I am most interested in track-related data. I do find it interesting to watch the real-time consumption levels when pushing the car.

Reactions: amund7

Keung18

Jan 7, 2020
Hong Kong
Wow, I have interesting for your APP. If I install this APP, how can I connect to the car? Require buy the OBD cable like as engine car??
Please kindly teach me, thanks.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Wow, I have interesting for your APP. If I install this APP, how can I connect to the car? Require buy the OBD cable like as engine car??
Please kindly teach me, thanks.
Do a search on Scan My Tesla. Lots of links to things you need to buy, software, etc.

Garlan Garner

Banned
Mar 31, 2016
Chicagoland
Interesting this morning.

Watching front kwh and rear kwh while driving.

Coming to a stop....rear kwh showing 2kw front showing neg 1kw. Now that's inefficient. rear motor is pushing front into regen.

Anyone else experiencing this?

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
Yep. This happened to me when the battery was cold. It couldn't accept regen but by doing some regen and at the same time working with the other engine you get some regen anyway plus you heat the battery. It's not wasteful, it's regen braking energy you would not have had otherwise because the battery is too cold to accept it. I think it's pretty bright.

Garlan Garner

Banned
Mar 31, 2016
Chicagoland
Yep. This happened to me when the battery was cold. It couldn't accept regen but by doing some regen and at the same time working with the other engine you get some regen anyway plus you heat the battery. It's not wasteful, it's regen braking energy you would not have had otherwise because the battery is too cold to accept it. I think it's pretty bright.

That's an interesting concept if its true.

I will have to think about that. hmmm using one motor against the other to produce regen. hmmmm

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Garlan Garner

Banned
Mar 31, 2016
Chicagoland

Yes, I can confirm. The front motor on my P3D+ does indeed heat the battery pack during pre-conditioning. It generates 2k to 3k of current. The most amazing part is one that I can't understand - which is....its always in regen. It got the battery pack up to 88 degrees F ( from 62F ) before I reached the supercharger.

Also interesting is that the battery pack never stopped heating up during chagrining. The battery pack reached over 125F during charging which leads my to my next question. <----The front stator reached over 210F and its oil temp reached 180F at that time.

What is the optimum battery temp for charging? Anyone know.

How does a single motor Model 3 pre-heat the battery pack? Anyone know?

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
Optimum battery temp seems to depend on the amount of energy you're trying to push into it at once. Slow charging at home seems happy over 10C, supercharging needs a higher temp. 50C seems about right, and that's around the 125F you're seeing. I'm sure someone posted those temps somewhere, I don't have them handy.
Preconditioning the car interior also heats the battery using the engines as you say. Even without preconditioning the interior, the motors will be used to heat the battery if you are trying to charge. Preconditioning en route to supercharger works in a similar way, albeit with a high temp target.
The single motor Model 3 will simply heat a bit slower, having just one engine to generate heat instead of two. I'm unsure how it's able to preheat while driving to a supercharger. I'll guess the heat produced from normal driving gets used but it must be a slow heating...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC