Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scandinavian prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
Hmm,:rolleyes:
Base price 89,000 Euro plus 15,000 euro vat = 104,000 euro
104,000 euro to $US = $152,000
950,000 Norwegian Kroner to $US = $166,000.
If you must be first I suppose you pay for it and it looks like that premium is about 10%.
Ferdinand Motor AS - Tesla Roadster EU Signature 250 Edition, 2010, 10 km, kr 950.000
Should be interesting to see if the sepculative price remains high in Europe and for how long.
More pictures of it in the link above too.

Your calculations seems to be wrong. Norwegian VAT is 25% for all cars, and VAT is always included in the price listed. BUT for EVs they've got a special VAT rate of 0%. Ferdinand in some cases buys these Roadsters and then takes on the risk of them sitting in their store for months and thus does a bit of a markup. 950 000,- is still dirt cheap as supersportscars go...

Cobos

I wasn't saying a 10% margin was a bad thing, pretty much what you would expect any dealer to make on a vehicle of that value IMHO. I know and understand that the dealer has to fund his stock, pay wages, rent and electricity etc. Given that Tesla has chosen not to sell through dealers I was surprised to see them turn up at one so soon.
If the 89000 euro Tesla is subject to 25% VAT in Norway that makes it (89,000 *1.25) =111250 Euro which is 935,000 KR so it looks like he is doing it for the love of it only.:smile: If the Tesla is not subject to any VAT in Norway then there is a nice margin in the car so good luck to him.
I was just speculating out loud if there is a premium in Europe for anyone in a hurry to own a roadster immediately.

Last edited:
There is no VAT on a Roadster in Norway.
They are not a Tesla dealer as such, but they do have some sort of agreement with Tesla and I figure they function as a dealer at least until Tesla gets their own Tesla-owned dealer in Norway. As Ferdinand is based in Bergen not Oslo where the Tesla dealer is supposed to be I guess they might plan to be a service partner for Tesla on our west coast perhaps. Gunnar can probably give you all the details.

Cobos

There is no VAT on a Roadster in Norway.

Is it true that this is only possible because Norway is not an EU member? Because if Norway were an EU member, this would mean that everybody in the EU would buy their EV's in Norway and then have them exported (VAT-neutral) to their country of residence.

Does Denmark or Sweden have a 0%-VAT for EVs as well? I can imagine people being interested in a 19-25% discount on their Roadster!

PS: I still need that list of EV incentives for each country in Europe. Anybody who wants to take the lead here?

Hmm I'll just continue this off topic stuff until Doug finds a new spot for it (sorry Doug).
I don't know how it is in the rest of EU but at least if you are importing stuff into Norway they apply the VAT as you import the item. So a ICE car imported from Sweden into Norway you substract swedish VAT and then add Norwegian VAT. Actually it's exactly the same for an EV as well but it just happens that Norwegian VAT for an EV is currently 0%.

I'm pretty sure thats they way it works for other countries as well. So you always pays your local countries VAT level, and for something like a car which needs license plates you can't smuggle it in ilegally. You have to pay VAT to get your license plates.

Cobos

I don't know how it is in the rest of EU but at least if you are importing stuff into Norway they apply the VAT as you import the item.

Most of the rest of Europe is somewhat different as it is a single European Union. If I buy something (like a car or a TV) in Denmark, I don't need to "import" it, just as Californians don't need to import a TV they buy in Texas.

I do need to register the car locally, but that's just a fixed fee.

For ICE cars some countries like The Netherlands do have additional surcharges (up to 35% or so), but that's under heavy attack from Brussels as is it against EU policy.

As the text says in Norwegian, the base price for 250 Signature EU model is EUR 99.000. Plus EUR 1300 delivery fee. And it's just meant as an example to give the customer an idea how much the car would cost, approximately. Also remember that cars delivered now (immediately available) was ordered last spring (may 2008), and was paid in full early 2009 on an exchange rate of what must have been far above 9. (I think we had 9.25 on some cars)

So please re-calculate and also remember to include some 16 months financial costs.. ;)

.. and about the VAT issue: No matter how you twitch it you have to pay local VAT. But as Cobos says, the Norwegian VAT for EVs are 0%. Meaning I can export the car everywhere (and get a 0% VAT refund) but then the buyer would have to pay local tax in his country. So a German buyer would have to pay 19% VAT in Germany. (plus registrations costs) Unless Germany has some similar VAT discounts for EVs...

the vat for cars in Denmark is 25%
but more importen is the registration fee for EV are 0% (ICE 180%+VAT)

but in regards to witch vat you have to pay, if i order the car in uk, pay and pick it up, i only have to pay the uk vat, but if just one of these steps is in DK (order,pay,delivery) I have to pay the DK vat