Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ScanMyTesla (OBD-ii & app) titbits I've learned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I received the cables and OBD-ii adapter necessary to get the ScanMyTesla app up and running

For those that don't know of it, Bjørn has an introductory video here

Things I learned so far:- (for context, these are for a Sept 2019, UK spec, M3P. so right-hand-side = driver's side )

1. When activating the climate at 10am this morning (cold-soaked 7ºC overnight, AC charging @ 2kW midnight -> 7am) the car was warming the battery by using the front and rear motors (stators) to warm the coolant fluid going through them and the battery. Rear Stator temp was quickly up at 60ºC and battery coolant inlet temperature was higher than the battery cell temperature by a couple of degrees (- i.e. it could have warmed it quicker by dumping hotter coolant into the batteries but it seems Tesla want to warm the cells gradually.
  2. The car seems to have two cabin heaters - one each side - and, even though I have it set to sync, it preferentially heats the driver's side by a big margin. At one point the right-heater was using 2.2kW while the left-heater was using 525W

Some random screenshots

Screenshot_20191217_115048_com.emon.canbus.tesla.jpg

Screenshot_20191217_122803_com.emon.canbus.tesla.jpg

Couple more bits of info after driving around today.

1. Only the rear motor is used for regen it seems. Lifting off at high speeds (~50-60mph), the front motor even shows a small power usage (1-2kW) while the rear motor is in full regen of ~65kW. At slow regen speeds (~10-20mph) the front motor stays at 0kW
  2. full-regen comes back once the battery pack reaches 22-23ºC. Even then, the car continues to slowly heat the battery by feeding in coolant +2ºC of the battery's current temp. (pic below - Cell temp 23ºC, coolant battery inlet 25ºC)
  3. The cabin heater continues to draw >1kW (biased to driver's side still) to keep cabin at desired temp
Screenshot_20191217_152645_com.emon.canbus.tesla_1.jpg

I wonder if the cabin would heat more balanced if there was a passenger. Bet you it does.

It's hard to know if battery heating is deliberate or a side affect of normal driving. My guess is it's not deliberate, but a by product.

I wonder if the cabin would heat more balanced if there was a passenger. Bet you it does.

It's hard to know if battery heating is deliberate or a side affect of normal driving. My guess is it's not deliberate, but a by product.
It's a bit of both. Drawing energy from/into the batteries will warm them, but so does flowing warm(er) coolant around the outside of them.

Thanks for the info above and very interesting. I'm also interested in doing this and was also looking at the kit below this:

cable - HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking
OBD - OBDLink® MX Bluetooth (3 to choose from MX+, MX BTm & LX - people mention MX is best)

Also if you fancy using your phone as a front dash (in front of your steering wheel and showing speed etc) use this:
Center Dash Mount

I got mine from the link in Bjørn's video - diagnostic adapter cable – Tesla M3 (>01/2019) bundle version – EMDS

It has the cable, OBD-ii dongle and PlayStore voucher for ScanMyTesla app.

Reactions: davidmc
It's a bit of both. Drawing energy from/into the batteries will warm them, but so does flowing warm(er) coolant around the outside of them.

I’m sure it does help. I’m just saying I doubt they are messing with motors (heat battery mode) while you are driving normally to get warm coolant to warm batteries. Yes they do when you navigate to super chargers etc. And maybe some other special cases. They are just taking advantage of the extra heat produced by the drives and putting it in a better place (Battery) at very little cost (pumping the coolant, which probably runs anyway to keep things at nice even temps).

Just because the temps indicate something doesn’t mean the car is “making” it happen.

In the playstore app, tap the hamburger menu on the left of the search box at the top, then scroll down to the bottom to > Redeem
I'm running Android 10, so no hamburger menu, but aside from "1-Click Purchase" I noticed an option to purchase through PayPal.
Selecting that brought up a menu similar to your example and offered me the redeem option.
Thanks for you assistance - successfully installed!
:)

Yeah, found a very easy way.

using any Allen-key or a similarly angled bit of metal. Use is as a lever. Hook the small end under the bottom of the cover, rest the right-angle of the allenkey on the floor of the car, pull down on the long end of the allenkey - you may need to put your finger in the elbow of the allenkey to keep it in place to get the best leverage. Repeat on the left/right side of the cover then enough of the clips should be free

D64169FB-CE48-4E34-A50F-15F8B16E8DBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Great post and video, @NorfolkMustard I've purchased the OBDLINK LX and the scanmytesla app. I never considered that there wasn't actually an OBD port, doh! I'm not wild about plugging in the OBD adapter, as I'm concered it may have some adverse effect on the car.

1) Does plugging in the OBD adaptor in any way slow or hamper data in the car?
2) Is there any conceivable way the OBD and app could write or send info to the car?
3) Is this a good adaptor? HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking
4) Anything important data or lessons learned since this video was made? I'll look around and see if there is a driving or logging video