Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scanmytesla + S3XY Buttons?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrWhoDey

M3LR MSM/White Aero No FSD
Nov 29, 2021
Indiana
Hey everyone! I've just installed AO's S3XY Buttons, whose controller is supposed to work with Scanmytesla (Android) via a Wifi connection rather than Bluetooth.

I've got everything purchased and installed, yet I can't get Scanmytesla to "see" the S3XY OBD Commander. I believe that the app is ONLY able to scan for BT connections, but though I've got my phone linked to the OBD via WiFi, the app is having none of it.

I'm running v1.9.10 of the Scanmytesla app, direct from the Playstore. If the feature is a beta function only available within a beta download, from where do I get that?

On Android you need the Beta version of scan my tesla. You also need to have the phone Wifi set to the Commander

1. From S3XY Buttons app -> Commander Settings enable 'ScanMyTesla support'
2. From General Settings of your phone connect to S3XY_OBD WiFi access point with password 12345678
3. From ScanMyTesla app choose Settings->Wifi (Panda)

Note: Host IP should be 192.168.4.1 and UDP Port 1338

That's the default PW - you can change it in the app.

What are the advantages of ScanMyTesla over the S3XY app?
I have the system and run the S3XY app now.
Thanks,
George

Far more detailed data. Depends how useful you find it. You can find things like the 12V battery charge level and charging current, HV battery status and draw among other things useful. To me it was well worth its modest price.

Since the S3XY commander will send data to the app there is no need to buy additional hardware, but you have to connect your phone to it as a WiFi access point which will kill your internet connectivity on the phone.

I had ScanMyTesla before the Commander so I had an OBDLINK LX already. I solved the internet issue by using an OBD2 splitter and running both dongles.

• Helpful
Reactions: Georgesb2
I wanted the sexy buttons when they came out, but the risk of messing up my ScanMyTesla connection keeps me from making the plunge. ScanMyTesla is far too valuable to me to take a chance of messing it up. Glad to hear there's a potential workaround, but it doesn't sound very elegant at this point.

I wanted the sexy buttons when they came out, but the risk of messing up my ScanMyTesla connection keeps me from making the plunge. ScanMyTesla is far too valuable to me to take a chance of messing it up. Glad to hear there's a potential workaround, but it doesn't sound very elegant at this point.
They work fine together with the splitter. I ran them outside the inside rail of the driver’s seat into the footwell. After that I put a Velcro wire wrap around both And stuck it the carpet on the side of the center console. They are basically invisible but easy to access to unplug. Seat has full range of motion.

Reactions: Baluchi
Far more detailed data. Depends how useful you find it. You can find things like the 12V battery charge level and charging current, HV battery status and draw among other things useful. To me it was well worth its modest price.

Since the S3XY commander will send data to the app there is no need to buy additional hardware, but you have to connect your phone to it as a WiFi access point which will kill your internet connectivity on the phone.

I had ScanMyTesla before the Commander so I had an OBDLINK LX already. I solved the internet issue by using an OBD2 splitter and running both dongles.
I wish the S3XY commander was linked by blue tooth instead of WIFI. I wonder why they implemented the connection on WIFI?

I wish the S3XY commander was linked by blue tooth instead of WIFI. I wonder why they implemented the connection on WIFI?
If I my understanding is correct the Commander uses Bluetooth to communicate to its proprietary app. For whatever reason they didn't or couldn't use the format that all the industry standard ODBC Bluetooth dongles use.

The WiFi is only used to create a private AP using an open source protocol by the Tesla community. From memory WiFi isn't required to update the Commander. You can download the update on your cell data and send it to the Commander over Bluetooth.

Reactions: Georgesb2
If I my understanding is correct the Commander uses Bluetooth to communicate to its proprietary app. For whatever reason they didn't or couldn't use the format that all the industry standard ODBC Bluetooth dongles use.

The WiFi is only used to create a private AP using an open source protocol by the Tesla community. From memory WiFi isn't required to update the Commander. You can download the update on your cell data and send it to the Commander over Bluetooth.
I have an emissions detector. It reports that that commander is emitting wifi and it's a strong signal. Some people are concerned about being engulfed in wifi all the time.
I don't know if bluetooth is any less impactful but I don't see the bluetooth being reported, just wifi from the commander.

I'm under the impression that the device is using bluetooth to communicate with the cell phone, and probably with the buttons too. I think that bluetooth conenction can only be with one device/app so it's used by the commander app, in case you run it. Because of that, the dongle optionally can also provide wifi for other apps/devices. That is what ScanMyTesla would go through.

I'm under the impression that the device is using bluetooth to communicate with the cell phone, and probably with the buttons too. I think that bluetooth conenction can only be with one device/app so it's used by the commander app, in case you run it. Because of that, the dongle optionally can also provide wifi for other apps/devices. That is what ScanMyTesla would go through.
Yes, the company informed me that they use bluetooth but for non company apps they provide a switchable wifi. It can be turned off in the phone app.

Reactions: GtiMart
Yes, I had done that, downloaded the beta version of SMT, used the wifi connection but it wouldn't connect. In any case, I don't like the idea of having my cell phone connect to that weird wifi. It's my normal cell phone that I use for everything including the S3XY app, SMT and anything else. It's too complicated to have to switch the wifi for SMT to work... I'll reinstall my other dongle at the moment. If I would leave a second cell phone in the car just for SMT as I had planned (but had trouble automating boot/shutdown etc) it would make my life easier.

They work fine together with the splitter. I ran them outside the inside rail of the driver’s seat into the footwell. After that I put a Velcro wire wrap around both And stuck it the carpet on the side of the center console. They are basically invisible but easy to access to unplug. Seat has full range of motion.
Hi Timbo2
will you please share which obd splitter you use?
In case it is against the Forum rules and will be treated as an ad, will you please share via DM?

Thanks