Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scared Dogs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new Model Y owner. Love the car but unfortunately, my dogs don’t. They won’t come near it. This is problematic because they sleep in the garage and for the past 2 weeks, I have been struggling to get them in at night. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions or solutions? Thanks in advance

Reactions: GeoG
Solution
If you leave Sentry Mode set to be active at your home location then try setting Sentry to be off at your home location. (Set your home location in the Nav system.) When Sentry mode is active the Tesla vehicle does not shut off. This uses significant power and interferes with certain battery management functions, specifically measuring the open cell voltage of the cells in the battery pack. It is possible that when the Tesla Model Y is awake the vehicle is emitting high frequency noise in the frequency range above the threshold of human hearing but well within the hearing range of the dogs.
I am a new Model Y owner. Love the car but unfortunately, my dogs don’t. They won’t come near it. This is problematic because they sleep in the garage and for the past 2 weeks, I have been struggling to get them in at night. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions or solutions? Thanks in advance
What are the scared off? The car or the noise it makes? What kind of dogs and how old are they? Are they afraid of leaf blowers or vacuum cleaners?
Are they trained? You could try leaving the car outside and sitting on the floor and giving them some high value treats. Start some 10 feet away from the car and slowly move closer. Patience is key when training. Good luck.
Pic of my monsters.

Attachments

• ACE65C44-C925-4A8E-9ECC-BF6991D4C326.jpeg
    ACE65C44-C925-4A8E-9ECC-BF6991D4C326.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
Upvote 0
Strange. My dogs seem to love my M3P. They even come right up to it when I drive home and have this habit of always smelling the driver front wheel well. I don’t know what it is about that spot but I checked it over and over for dead animals and washed it. They have been doing it ever since I got it (2.5y ago) so it sure.

Can you tie any reason why they might not like it? Might it be the sound it makes while low speed driving? Proper dog training techniques might help. Bring someone with positive reinforcement (treats) to hand them while it’s stationary, starting far away then moving closer and closer over time to begin with. Then build it up to when it’s slowly moving. Hopefully building up to a point where they will ride in the car.

Upvote 0
Did you have any exterior work done (tinting, etc) that they might be able to smell? Another possibility is if the car "wakes up" during the night to charge, for instance, that could startle them and make no sense to them either - that turns the car from an object into a "live" being. Both are things you can overcome, with training and perhaps an anti-anxiety supplement like Adaptil (I don't have affiliation with the company, but it's helped my dog in the past with anxiety over my new computer - so talk to your vet).

Upvote 0
I vote for tough love!! Leave them out at night in your backyard (assuming it's fenced, not tie them to a tree). Let them sleep outside for a few nights, I understand you will get no sleep those nights but you have to be dedicated!! They will then beg you to let them sleep in the garage!!

Totally just kidding. My real solution would be to build another garage for them! I'm one of those idiots that have stayed in my recliner 2 hours longer than I wanted to because my little Italian Greyhound was sleeping in my lap and I didn't want to wake her up!!

Good luck!!

Upvote 0
I vote for tough love!! Leave them out at night in your backyard (assuming it's fenced, not tie them to a tree). Let them sleep outside for a few nights, I understand you will get no sleep those nights but you have to be dedicated!! They will then beg you to let them sleep in the garage!!

Totally just kidding. My real solution would be to build another garage for them! I'm one of those idiots that have stayed in my recliner 2 hours longer than I wanted to because my little Italian Greyhound was sleeping in my lap and I didn't want to wake her up!!

Good luck!!
The things we do for our dogs.

Upvote 0
Did you have any exterior work done (tinting, etc) that they might be able to smell? Another possibility is if the car "wakes up" during the night to charge, for instance, that could startle them and make no sense to them either - that turns the car from an object into a "live" being. Both are things you can overcome, with training and perhaps an anti-anxiety supplement like Adaptil (I don't have affiliation with the company, but it's helped my dog in the past with anxiety over my new computer - so talk to your vet).

This is my bet... I have some security cameras in my garage, and I noticed that sometimes the IR on my cameras I think triggers sentry mode on my car, and sometimes the car will flash and record a clip for no apparent reason... Once it happens it starts a storm, because the headlights flashing causes my camera to turn off IR, then it gets dark, and the IR turns back on, and the dance continues... Usually for a few minutes, then it settles back down like nothing happened...

YEah, I could turn off sentry mode, but I'd rather keep it on, since it's plugged in anyways. When I turn it off, and the car goes to sleep, sometimes i get an issue where the app fails to wake the car when I need to do something... Also, I'd rather not encounter the issue where a dead 12v battery screws me... If you keep sentry on, the car won't go to sleep, so the HV system won't turn off, so a dead 12v won't screw you... (The issue if you have a bad 12v, is that once the system goes to sleep, the HV system turns off. But if you have a bad 12v, it won't have enough juice to turn the HV system back on, so the car will be "dead" until you replace the 12v. Sometimes it won't be dead enough to let you open the frunk with the jumper in the front tho.. But anyways, this is why when you get a warning, it says the car might not start again, becuase the car is saying a low 12v system might not be able to turn on the HV system if it turns off. If you leave sentry mode on, the HV system stays on, so the car will always be "drivable". The DC-DC converter will supply 12v, even if the 12v battery failed in this scenario.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you leave Sentry Mode set to be active at your home location then try setting Sentry to be off at your home location. (Set your home location in the Nav system.) When Sentry mode is active the Tesla vehicle does not shut off. This uses significant power and interferes with certain battery management functions, specifically measuring the open cell voltage of the cells in the battery pack. It is possible that when the Tesla Model Y is awake the vehicle is emitting high frequency noise in the frequency range above the threshold of human hearing but well within the hearing range of the dogs.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Upvote 0
Solution
Really. Having just spent a ton of $$ on surgery for our dog, I can relate. But he's a family member so....
One of my cousins was upset, becuase his own family apparently forgot his birthday, but when his dog ended up needing to go to the vet in the middle of the night, everyone crawled out of the woodwork to offer their support/love... My cousin was like, where were you guys on my birthday, hahaha.

• Funny
Reactions: GeoG and Jungl3
Upvote 0
One of my cousins was upset, becuase his own family apparently forgot his birthday, but when his dog ended up needing to go to the vet in the middle of the night, everyone crawled out of the woodwork to offer their support/love... My cousin was like, where were you guys on my birthday, hahaha.
Yikes, so he ranks below the dog in the family.... ;) I sometimes think I do too. He's a boxer/pit mix.

• Funny
Reactions: avs007
Upvote 0
Had similar experience. Decided to take our pups camping. We setup the dog pads/beds, bowls, etc around the car while camping and they were able to enjoy Camp Mode at night. We were trying to get them used to the sounds (or lack of) and smells of the car. Not sure if it worked but they don't mind taking 4hr trips to Las Vegas anymore...

Upvote 0