Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scared to go to the carwash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'm the odd man out, but I do a "hybrid" approach. I can't wash at home unless I do a rinse less wash. Living in Switzerland we have a lot of salt that coats the car all over including the rims, rim barrels, calipers and brakes, suspension, etc. No way I want to let that sit on my coilovers and rims for too long. So I do the following and in this order:

Tires/Rims and Wheel wells:
1) Go to a 24/7 self service wash bay
2) Spray the wheels and tires with Gyeon Tire Cleaner (in Winter this is the best as it focuses on dirt/salt more than standard rim cleaners)
3) use wheel woolly and tire brush to clean rims
4) Insert 4 tokens and Thoroughly rinse all wheels, tires and wheel wells with using the "spotless rinse" setting (very clean water with a hydrophobic additive)

Car Wash:
1) I bought a 5 liter Gloria pump foamer and changed out the connector to allow me to pump it with my portable air compressor I keep with me in the sub trunk. 40ml of Gyeon Bathe+ and the 2.6 liters of hot water pre-filled at home. Hook up the air compressor and fill to 3 bar pressure, then start foaming the car completely from top down. Let sit for 3-5 minutes. Air compressor keeps the pressure constant at 2.8-3bar. Voila, no need for a Karcher pressure sprayer connected to a hose!
2) Insert 2 tokens and do a thorough rinse with the "spotless rinse" water again.
3) Inspect and see if steps 3 onward are needed. Yes? Pull out 2 buckets, wash mitt and nitril gloves. Fill wash bucket with 1 token of hot rinse water and 80ml of Gyeon Bathe+. Wash car from top down.
4) Insert 2 tokens and rinse car with "spotless rinse" setting.

Dry:
1) I bought a battery powered leaf blower that can output 250 km/h of air and holds 2 batteries for about 30 min run time. Uses same batteries as the air compressor. Pull this out and blast out the wheels, tires, wheel wells first. Drying these out really helps to both prevent new salt from sticking when you drive off, and also drying out the brake calipers and disks prevents stuff slinging back into the rim barrels within the first 1 km of driving.
2) Then blast the mirror housings and all trim, brake lights, etc to remove any hidden water in cavities.

Vacuum:
1) Do it at home with my cordless Dyson

Tire dressing:
1) Gyeon Tire Q2m is amazing. The tires need to be dry, and even better if you can warm them up with a hair dryer or heat gun to pen up the rubber pores prior to application even better. Apply first coat and do not wipe off. Wait 1 hour and apply second coat. After a night (8 hours or so) wipe down IF you prefer a matte tire vs a shiny gloss look. Voila, this tire dressing should last for months and typically through at least 5-6 car washes for me, including heavy rain, snow, etc. This tire dressing is one of the few which is hydrophobic, doesn't sling, and adds protection to the tire vs just making it look shiny until the first rain comes.

Detailing:
Every 3-6 months I'll use an assortment of Ceramic and more recently Graphene detail sprays to renew the gloss and hydrophobicity.

All in the car was touch ups typically only take me 1 hour or so every few weeks once you have a plan and the right stuff to do the job! And doing it at a self service means I don't have a mess to clean up at home after cleaning the car for the most part.

It's winter in NY and I typically get my cars washed 2-3 times per week. What are others doing who have the 20" induction wheels. I am somewhat concerned about them getting damaged in the car wash. Has anyone added the wheel protectors and, if so, can you post pics of what they look like and if you are happy with them. I need my car cleaned .... hand wash is not an option and no touchless near me. PLEASE HELP!
I live in the Westchester area and I went through a car wash after the snow we had in late December. The car wash made me stay in my car with my seatbelt on. No water leaked, no discoloration; it was fine. I'm leasing my car, and not adding any of the protective films, ...etc. My car goes back after 3 years, so I might as well enjoy it and treat it like a car!

Reactions: DanDi58
I go through a automatic wash 2-3x/week ($20/month unlimited). The main issue I have is scraping the wheels, I have the performance wheels. I drive the car thru the wash myself. Even with the idiots guiding you I have scraped my wheels 3 times so far, all on the front drivers side wheel. Minor scrapes for now, I will eventually need to refinish them. Otherwise you get fine swirls in the paint- not a big deal for me. After the wash I use a quick detailer spray to wipe down the car at home, takes about 5 minutes and the car looks stunning.

Reactions: Notch Peak
you guys paid 60k for car and cant wash it whenever u want? In many states is illegal to was the car by yourself (frontyard).
Also washing it by yourself when temperatures are extremely cold or hot is ridiculous.
As with any vehicle you are free to wash or not wash according to personal choice. My father drove Lexus vehicles and almost never washed his cars, he would say the car gets cleaned when it rains. In places that have water use restrictions you can use a rinseless wash such as Optimum No Rinse (ONR) and wash the entire vehicle using just two gallons of water. So far, I have been washing my Tesla in my driveway (no current water use restrictions where I live, we have been deluged with rain for past couple of years) when it is warm and inside my garage using the ONR product as long as the temperature is above 40F.

I have been using Optimum No Rinse (ONR) to wash my Model Y since early December. I wash my Y inside my garage where the daytime temperature is right around 50F. I use 1 bucket, a good grit guard and a cross cut sponge. I also use 3 medium size microfiber towels to dry off the panels as I go. I mix 2 gallons of warm tap water and 1 ounce (2 cap fulls) of ONR. I do have a small spray bottle of ONR premixed with water to apply the the door panels or any other area that needs extra time to loosen the dirt. I wear kitchen gloves so my hands don't get wet and cold. I have used the ONR and sponge to clean all of the glass on the Model Y and it works great on glass too. To avoid getting any water/ONR mix in the window gasket I have been using Invisible Glass to clean the windows.

I'm not saying ONR is magic but this product is about as close to real magic as you will ever see. Used as directed the ONR lifts the dirt and the sponge picks up everything from the panels and glass. I was curious to see if the cross cut sponge retained any dirt so after washing the Model Y I rinsed out the sponge in a separate bucket with clean water. The sponge appeared clean and so did the water in the bucket when I emptied that bucket.

So where did the dirt go? The dirt was still in the bucket with the ONR solution; the heavier grit hopefully settled to the bottom of the bucket and if the grit guard does it's job the dirt stays at the bottom of the ONR bucket. After use I have let the ONR solution sit in the bucket for 24 hours but it remains cloudy, can't see down to the bottom of the bucket to see if the grit has settled out of the solution.

You are pretty much damned if you do or don't as far as washing the car in cold weather. For now ONR makes it possible for me to keep my Model Y clean until it warms up enough to switch to using my power washer and soap.

I can definitely vouch for ONR! First time Tesla owner by the way. I used to take all my previous cars to the car wash. ONR is a game changer for the fact I can take care of all my car washing needs just in the garage. I combo it with opti-seal when drying.

I use ONR and opti-seal on my car. I am also a first time Tesla owner. I used to take my car to automatic car washes as well.
Since I am in MN it is no longer possible to wash the car due to low temps.
I found a place where I can wash my own car in a heated garage. I haven't tried it yet.
I was thinking of getting PPF and also cover the window trim with a black matte. Getting window trim covered may allow me to take my car to automatic car washes during winter months.

All,

I have a black 2022 Rubicon and I'm being really soft about taking it to the car wash. We also have a new Yukon XL and the car wash put a thousand swirly micro scratches in its paint. Being black it shows like crazy in the sun. I'm concerned about it happening to the Jeep. Hows the paint quality with the newer Jeeps? Anyone have this happen with their own? A bird decided to shat on it so she needs a bath asap.
Maybe check with a Jeep forum. :rolleyes: