Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scariest Tesla Gawkers thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Gawker threads are always amusing. So, I thought I'd start one about everyone's scariest Tesla Gawker moment. You know the one, where you were afraid the guy was going to hit you or someone else.

My scariest Tesla Gawker moment happened on I-70 outside of St. Louis, MO. I was in the fast lane when I noticed a car approaching me from behind at a high rate of speed. Being polite I pulled into the middle lane to allow him to pass. As he came up along side of me he slowed down and gave me a big thumbs up. Nothing scary here. I smiled and waved and went back to driving. What he did next though scared the bejesus out of me. He got up ahead of me in the fast lane, then swiveled around in his seat, while doing about 75 mph on the highway. He was literally leaning back into the backseat between the drivers and passengers front seats staring at my car. How he managed to stay in the lane I have no idea, good thing we were on a straight stretch of road. All I could do was slow down and mouth "Please Drive" as he continued to stare. This went on for a good 15 secs or so. Luckily he finally decided he'd seen enough and turned around and took off. But wow, some people really don't think when they drive.

I had one like this over Memorial Day, on I-80 in Ohio. Guy in a Lexus SUV was driving to my left in the passing lane, matching my speed of 73 mph so he could give me a thumbs up and a smile. I returned the thumbs up, and he pulled ahead to pass me, ogling the front of the car the whole time. Unfortunately the highway bent slightly at that moment, and he drifted left and came within a handful of inches of hitting the Jersey barrier. I had my ten-year-old daughter in the back seat, and as I slammed on the brakes all I could think was "Boy I hope the roll strength test rumors were true, because when this guy flips and lands on our roof, that is all that will save us".

I haven't had anything scary happen while driving yet, but I did have a weird guy taking pictures of my car for a considerable amount of time once. My friends and I were sitting at a coffee shop across the street in their outdoor patio the whole time. After the first few photos, I decided to honk the horn from my app. Trying not to laugh, we continued to discretely observe him (so he wouldn't know who the culprit was) but he didn't even look around at all. He just kept taking pictures. I continued to honk the horn, flash the lights, open and close the sunroof and unlock and lock the doors and he didn't seem to notice any of it. He just kept waking around the car and taking more photos with his phone. It was pretty bizarre.

Great thread idea.

Right after it opened (I think before it was officially open and on the map) I was at the Darien CT Northbound I95 Supercharger. A guy in a 7 Series BMW was clearly looking at my car and rear-ended a little Kia that was getting air put in her tires. Anyone who has been to that Supercharger knows where I'm talking about. I was in the northern most stall, adjacent to the tire air. The guy in the BMW was apologetic to the point of panic that he hit a parked car with the driver bent over the tire, but also made sure to get a full tour of my Model S while waiting for the State Police to show up. The Kia owner was unimpressed with any of this.

Luckily it was slow speed and all were ok.