Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary af driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my model 3 today and I have to say, it really scared me to be on FSD. It constantly made dangerous mistakes. I was on the LA freeways, ones that I'm sure Teslas frequent and it was super erratic. It constantly hugs the line to the point where when in the left lane, close to the barrier, it became unsafe at the speed it was going. It'd constantly run over reflectors on the road that designate the far side of the lane. Why is it not centering itself?

It also took interchanges at way to high of a speed, sometimes 60mph when it was a full loop. I really felt like it was going to hit the barrier.

It also makes major map mistakes, like pulling me into a Fastrak lane at an interchange, albeit, illegally.

But definitely the lane centering is a major, scary af issue. I do not understand why it's that close the very clear lines.

This is on the 101, 10 and 5 Freeways.

Any way to calibrate the car to center?

No, and my car tracks pretty well in center... but most people dont drive in the center of the lane, so when the car does, they feel its "off".
If your car tracks in the center, shouldn't mine? I don't think it should be running over reflectors and be on the edge, touching, or over the line, which it does do.

I see on the forum that some people mention time stamps and bug reports. Sorry if this is a new question, but is the car recording at all times? I'd like to look back at my last drive and share the video.

Give it a few days.

I remember testing AP couple of years ago when the free trial was offered. The first day was so scary for me and my mind was made up it was close to worthless.

By the 3rd day, I had learned what to expect from AP and appreciated what it could do.

I will, but there is no way it's normal to be touching or going over the line when there's plenty of room between the lines on the right. If I was in a middle lane with a car to the left of me, a minute swerve from the car next to me would be an accident.

If your car tracks in the center, shouldn't mine? I don't think it should be running over reflectors and be on the edge, touching, or over the line, which it does do.

I see on the forum that some people mention time stamps and bug reports. Sorry if this is a new question, but is the car recording at all times? I'd like to look back at my last drive and share the video.

You just got the car like 24/48 hours or so ago, I have no idea what the lines look like on the roads you were using, and you havent had the car long enough to see "what works and what doesnt" as far as line markings etc.

I dont enable it in places where I know it wont work well. Given time, you wont either.

You just got the car like 24/48 hours or so ago, I have no idea what the lines look like on the roads you were using, and you havent had the car long enough to see "what works and what doesnt" as far as line markings etc.

I dont enable it in places where I know it wont work well. Given time, you wont either.

It was on the biggest freeways in the country. The 101, 5 and 10 in LA. They're well traveled, six lanes, and there should be plenty of data to tell the car not to hit reflectors and cross the lines when it can easily center itself and be much safer. There is no way this is correct.

Give it a few days.

I remember testing AP couple of years ago when the free trial was offered. The first day was so scary for me and my mind was made up it was close to worthless.

By the 3rd day, I had learned what to expect from AP and appreciated what it could do.

So when Tesla says “calibrate” they mean the DRIVER not the CAR?

Learn something every day :)

It was on the biggest freeways in the country. The 101, 5 and 10 in LA. They're well traveled, six lanes, and there should be plenty of data to tell the car not to hit reflectors and cross the lines when it can easily center itself and be much safer. There is no way this is correct.

I am well aware of what those freeways are, I have lived in Southern California my entire life, and I am 52. There are parts of the 101, 5 and 10 that have faded lines on them, the 101 has tight lanes, etc. I dont go down there very often, I try to avoid LA, but just because its a "busy freeway" doesnt mean the lines are great on it.

Im not going to argue with you though, good luck with it, hope it works out for you.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I am well aware of what those freeways are, I have lived in Southern California my entire life, and I am 52. There are parts of the 101, 5 and 10 that have faded lines on them, the 101 has tight lanes, etc. I dont go down there very often, I try to avoid LA, but just because its a "busy freeway" doesnt mean the lines are great on it.

Im not going to argue with you though, good luck with it, hope it works out for you.

I'd think it would see reflectors. And given that Elon Musk says we're "very close to level 5," I'd think it'd be a little more conservative than this. Others are saying their car stays centered - it's not like I'm making up an issue.

Is there a way to calibrate the cameras? Because again, this isn't user error. If it recorded video, it'd be clear what the car is doing isn't safe.

As I said earlier, no, there is no way to re calibrate the cameras. You can contact tesla if you believe its incorrect and make an appointment to take it into the service center, but there is no way to self re calibrate the cameras.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
As I said earlier, no, there is no way to re calibrate the cameras. You can contact tesla if you believe its incorrect and make an appointment to take it into the service center, but there is no way to self re calibrate the cameras.

I will probably do that. Unfortunately, every service center in LA seems to have two stars. People complain that they don't answer the phones. Can I just walk in and have them do this?

You may want to take a deep breath. Just a few tidbits of info. Even if you bought FSD, it’s not deployed. You have autopilot, which is traffic aware cruise control (TACC) and auto-steering. Should keep you dead center in the lane. The blue lines are on the screen, does it look centered on the display? If you bought FSD then you also get navigate on autopilot which will take you on on ramps and off ramps, you can signal and the car will change lanes and it will also change lanes to avoid slower car ahead. All autopilot features require your attention and may need to be over ridden. It is not autonomous driving. Rolling the right thumb wheel on the steering wheel controls speed, clicking it left and right change the follow distance.

Right. So something is wrong. Even my gf told me to turn off FSD because it was driving inches from a barrier when it had feet to stay away from it.

I don’t think the barrier is ever closer than 6” inches from the yellow line. To be inches away from the wall, you’d be on the other side of the yellow line. Quite possible the car is centered in the lane and it just feels tight to you.