Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary af driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think the barrier is ever closer than 6” inches from the yellow line. To be inches away from the wall, you’d be on the other side of the yellow line. Quite possible the car is centered in the lane and it just feels tight to you.

No way is in centered. As I said, it was running over the reflectors on the edge of the lane. And it went toward a barrier at about 70mph when coming off an off ramp. I had to take over.

you need to keep FSD off until you have an SC smoke it over. make an appointment. choose burbank. dont sweat yelp reviews.

i live in LA and drive those roads all the time. the car is solid in the center and keeps it in the center. ive had my car new since march 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
you need to keep FSD off until you have an SC smoke it over. make an appointment. choose burbank. dont sweat yelp reviews.

i live in LA and drive those roads all the time. the car is solid in the center and keeps it in the center. ive had my car new since march 2020.

I used the service menu in the app, but it says they're sending someone to me. Can a mobile tech fix this?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Oh yeah, TeslaCam is how you you record video to demonstrate the lane centering. You need a high speed thumb drive plugged in to the USB port to do so. TeslaCam is always recording, when you want it to save an event, tap the icon on the display and it saves the last 10 minutes

I used the service menu in the app, but it says they're sending someone to me. Can a mobile tech fix this?
they have a computer that can connect to the car ro diagnose and find any trouble codes, so yes the ranger and potentially fix the issue if he or she finds out its software related.

if its hardware related which may require replacing some parts, they may be a seperate trip to the SC or the ranger may have to make a follow up appointment.

Okay, as others have mentioned, it may take some mileage to calibrate. But, I didn't see it mentioned whether the display shows you centered or off-centered when you are hugging a line. Are you always off in the same direction, or does it ping-pong between hugging left to hugging right? I would also have your g/f shoot some video from the backseat showing your display and the view ahead, just in case you don't get the result you're looking for from the Mobile Ranger and Service Center.

Okay, as others have mentioned, it may take some mileage to calibrate. But, I didn't see it mentioned whether the display shows you centered or off-centered when you are hugging a line. Are you always off in the same direction, or does it ping-pong between hugging left to hugging right? I would also have your g/f shoot some video from the backseat showing your display and the view ahead, just in case you don't get the result you're looking for from the Mobile Ranger and Service Center.

It's a used car so I don't think it's going to calibrate on its own.

I didn't look at the screen re centering, but I will now.

It always veers left

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Everyone else on here says they're centered, so my car should be consistent with that.

Additionally Elon Musk just said we'll have Level 5 in the next 5 months, so your telling me that's going to happen but the car has to run over reflectors and go over the line on major freeways?
If you believe we’ll have level 5 in a few months you may be interested in a bridge I have for sale. I’m simply gonna stand by and see what happens. Elon time is very variable. For both our sakes I hope we get at least level 3 soon.

No way is in centered. As I said, it was running over the reflectors on the edge of the lane. And it went toward a barrier at about 70mph when coming off an off ramp. I had to take over.

Believe you are unknowingly using Autopilot in challenging situations. You should not be using it at 70 mph when coming off an off ramp. You need to learn where it works great, and where it is going to be sketchy.

As a new owner, it would be best to first try it when cruising down one of the middle lanes. No walls or on/off ramps to get it confused. Note how it speeds up as traffic clears and slows down when the car ahead of you slows down. Initially do not use it to change lanes until you get comfortable with it.
Do not use it when right up against a barrier of going in and out of HOV lanes. You can choose on your display if you want it to use HOV lanes or not. In the beginning choose not.

I have some of the same feelings as you do when my G/F drives my car with me in it. She does not drive exactly as I do and this often makes me feel uncomfortable. This does not mean She is a bad driver, but just drives differently.

It is good that you notice when Autopilot gets confused and take over manually. That is currently how the system works. It is not a finished piece yet, and is still undergoing additional learning.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt and house9
Believe you are unknowingly using Autopilot in challenging situations. You should not be using it at 70 mph when coming off an off ramp. You need to learn where it works great, and where it is going to be sketchy.

As a new owner, it would be best to first try it when cruising down one of the middle lanes. No walls or on/off ramps to get it confused. Note how it speeds up as traffic clears and slows down when the car ahead of you slows down. Initially do not use it to change lanes until you get comfortable with it.
Do not use it when right up against a barrier of going in and out of HOV lanes. You can choose on your display if you want it to use HOV lanes or not. In the beginning choose not.

I have some of the same feelings as you do when my G/F drives my car with me in it. She does not drive exactly as I do and this often makes me feel uncomfortable. This does not mean She is a bad driver, but just drives differently.

It is good that you notice when Autopilot gets confused and take over manually. That is currently how the system works. It is not a finished piece yet, and is still undergoing additional learning.

I'm worried I won't be able to take over AP quick enough to prevent an accident. Sometimes the difference between crashing into something and not is a millisecond. I don't understand why it takes off ramps at full speed, charging toward a barrier. At that speed, by the time I intercept it, I'll crash. But the manual says it can take you from on ramp to off ramp. How do you know when it's actually going to work? Because right now it's a scarier version of cruise control. In fact, I feel like I have to be overly attentive. Yesterday it not only went over a reflector, but a raised (5 inches off the ground) plastic barrier separating an interchange lane. How the f can it not detect basic obstacles like that? My hand was on the wheel, it beeped, but I was so freaked out that I tried to take control while autosteer was pulling it back toward the lane to the left of the barrier while I was trying to steer it to the right. I just really felt my nerves on edge many times, like this thing was destined to be in a major crash.

Again..you are new...do not use it taking on/off ramps at 70 mph, no matter what the manual says. Do not use it where you are a millisecond from crashing. Do not use it when charging toward a barrier. do not use it right next to plastic barriers separating an interchange lane. Please only use it when cruising down a freeway and in a middle lane...please.

Autopilot is currently only a drivers aid. You need to learn where it is fantanstic and where it can be dangerous. Never give it 100% control, especially next to plastic barriers or getting on/off freeways at high speeds.

The system is still under development and is not Full Sell Driving yet.

Something seems off. Its either user error or something is wrong with the car.

Can I ask a simple question. Do you double tap the stalk down? Does it make the autopilot confirmation sound and have the little blue steering wheel icon?

It almost sounds like you are relying on the emergency lane departure feature.

Something seems off. Its either user error or something is wrong with the car.

Can I ask a simple question. Do you double tap the stalk down? Does it make the autopilot confirmation sound and have the little blue steering wheel icon?

It almost sounds like you are relying on the emergency lane departure feature.

Yes and yes. I'm doing it correctly. When it's in the middle lane, it's more reliable. But in the left lane, you better be really f-ing attentive because it'll do some really stupid stuff that could get me killed.

Everyone else on here says they're centered, so my car should be consistent with that.

Additionally Elon Musk just said we'll have Level 5 in the next 5 months, so your telling me that's going to happen but the car has to run over reflectors and go over the line on major freeways?

No chance of lvl 5 in the next 5 months. None. Lvl 5 is “An automated driving system (ADS) on the vehicle can do all the driving in all circumstances. The human occupants are just passengers and need never be involved in driving."

Lvl 5 cars have no need for pedals or steering wheels. How well do you think a model 3 will do obeying the signals of a traffic cop to go around an accident scene or leave a parking lot after a baseball game? At lvl 5 the car will need to obey flagmen at construction sites also.

Right now Tesla’s are lvl 2.5 or maybe 3.

No chance of lvl 5 in the next 5 months. None. Lvl 5 is “An automated driving system (ADS) on the vehicle can do all the driving in all circumstances. The human occupants are just passengers and need never be involved in driving."

Lvl 5 cars have no need for pedals or steering wheels. How well do you think a model 3 will do obeying the signals of a traffic cop to go around an accident scene or leave a parking lot after a baseball game? At lvl 5 the car will need to obey flagmen at construction sites also.

Right now Tesla’s are lvl 2.5 or maybe 3.

I understand that. It is just frustrating that Elon Musk has been saying there'd be autonomous driving "this year" since 2016. I don't understand why he keeps lying to customers. If the car nearly crashes at interchanges, it sure as hell can't drive without supervision.

I also find it interesting that it's nearly impossible to get service centers to answer the phone. That is basic customer service, but if you read the reviews on Yelp from LA based service centers, every location has three stars or less. I simply do not understand how the biggest car company in the world can't answer phones and give customers quick answers. Not cool.