Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary AP Moment v9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just posting a word of warning as Tesla works out the bugs with v9. I was driving with my family Saturday afternoon on a well marked two lane country road using AP. With oncoming traffic approaching, AP decided to turn directly into it crossing the yellow line with no notice. It was a VERY SCARY moment and it required a last second correction, violent enough that the kids were thrown sideways.

I filed an immediate bug report from the car, so hopefully Tesla will be able to make something of it.

Despite the above, easily the best car I have ever owned.

Same issue: 2 lane road, 65 mph, tracking nicely, came upon an intersection where the lines stopped, car tried to veer to the left across the center. Hand was on the wheel, so I stopped it, but it was a quite frisky veer-and-back. Happened twice: TX 32 @ TX 473 headed west and........somewhere I can't recall. Car also hugs center line too closely.

Agree: best car ever - until, maybe, the Roadster shows up.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and linkster
Good job flagging it for them, i really hope they are rapidly compiling a data set of these "significant" take over events to learn from them. I would guess they can look at actual steering angle input vs expected and flag a substantial deviation somehow.

Worth repeating for new Model 3 owners:

Warning: Autosteer is intended for use
only on highways and limited-access
roads with a fully attentive driver. When
using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel
and be mindful of road conditions and
surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer
on city streets, in construction zones, or
in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians
may be present. Never depend on
Autosteer to determine an appropriate
driving path. Always be prepared to take
immediate action. Failure to follow these
instructions could cause damage, serious
injury or death.

Gavyne:
You are factually correct, of course. I enjoy testing the system on 2-lane curvy rural roads, but there is a big difference between testing and trusting. Hold the wheel: always be prepared for dead critters, shredded tires, and oncoming traffic on your side of the road. I never considered those things while driving manually - it was automatic. Kinda interesting that Autopilot makes you more aware, not less.

Reactions: GSP
Yeah, with at least one hand firmly on the wheel it's closer to a non-event. You can feel the wheel turning when it shouldn't (early warning). Simply resist the wheel movement and cause it to break out of Autosteer (very little steering veer, you stay in the lane). Turn Autosteer back on when available if you still think it'll work OK. I can do that with my (model 3 owning but not Autosteer using) wife in the car and not even get a dirty look. Think of AP as experimental on city streets.

Reactions: GSP and FarmerDave

injury or death.
Yes, worth repeating. For clarity, I've driven over 10,000 km's in our Model 3 and I would estimate close to 50% on AP. I'm pretty familiar with its strengths and weaknesses. This road is a non-divided highway that I have driven many times before using AP. This was a new disnegagement experience. It was an immediate high torque veer into oncoming traffic with the opposing car no more than 100ft away. Hasn't happened since...

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and linkster
Just posting a word of warning as Tesla works out the bugs with v9. I was driving with my family Saturday afternoon on a well marked two lane country road using AP. With oncoming traffic approaching, AP decided to turn directly into it crossing the yellow line with no notice. It was a VERY SCARY moment and it required a last second correction, violent enough that the kids were thrown sideways.

I filed an immediate bug report from the car, so hopefully Tesla will be able to make something of it.

I'm just going to say with about 55k miles experience actively using AP1 and AP2, I only use AP on divided highways where it excels and if it does do something wonky all the cars are going in the same direction. If you use it on non-divided roads(this should be called "experimental mode" ) you need to be aware 100% of the time and be ready to take over immediately. Again, I would never use it with confidence on non-divided roads.

injury or death.

If Tesla truly intended for EAP to only be used on highways, they could easily limit activation to only these roads, similar to what other AP systems do. Does GPS indicate the car's on a highway? If so, allow EAP. Otherwise don't. The fact that EAP can be activated on most any road makes this warning just seem like CYA.

Happened to us twice coming east across Hwy 9 (undivided 2 lane county road) from north of Bowmanville over to #28 on Sunday. Both events happened at intersecting sideroads where the center yellow lines had a gap in them. Both times the car pulled left quite hard and I had to correct immediately. We were out again today around Northumberland county for 200 km and it only happened very mildly once. Filed bug reports about Sunday. v9 on AP also seemed smoother today.

interestingly I've tried new AP on some really nice twisty roads just to see how it does.
I've got both hands on the wheel, tracking its steering.
Once or twice where the corners are quite tight and the markings occasionally intermittent I've found that I've overridden AP with almost no effort. Much better than the herky-jerky mini swerve.

Definitely worth pointing out that if you're using AP on two lane roads you have to treat it like an experiment, its not supposed to work there.
It is impressive none the less. If its coping with most of this already then I can't wait to see how it improves.