TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Scary Autopilot Scenario

Discussion in 'Model S' started by futurem3owner, Jul 8, 2018.

1. futurem3owner

futurem3owner 2017 90D

Using AP on the current 2018.24.1, I've noticed a scary scenario where upon approaching this intersection from the left lane, AP will always want to aggressively swerve into the right lane and potentially collide into the traffic in that lane. Even when you have your hands on the wheel, if you're not expecting AP to behave like this, you will have at least crossed into the other lane by the time you react due to the sudden movement of AP just blindly following the broken white line designated for cross traffic. This occurred on the last software update too, 2018.19. Has this happened to anyone else and is there any solution to this scary issue that should be rectified immediately?

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 12.14.19 PM.png

• Helpful x 2
  2. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

Easy solution:

Use as intended until they tell you it is safe. If one plans to do it anyway always be holding the wheel so it doesn't do what your showing/saying. Also be fully prepared in the event of an accident to hear these words. Tesla has determined Autopilot was used in an unsafe manner or in an area where its usage in not intended.

From owners manual:

Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

Right now, AP = lane following = line following.

If you were a computer told to follow lines, you would do the same thing.

As outdoors cited above, AP is not currently designed to navigate city streets and intersections.

4. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

As others have said, you absolutely want to be vigilant in circumstances where lane lines are irregular or could be misleading.... if you decide to use AP at all in such a situation.

I think your perception of how far the car moves is exaggerated. Even when turning the steering hard, it takes about a second for your car to move a few feet laterally. AP2 used to behave far more dangerously around intersections but it was still manageable.

5. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

Am I the only one that thinks citys should be responsible for providing and programming autopilot software for their district.

6. caligula666

caligula666 Member

Ignore the marketing BS. “AP” is an average Level-2 system today. Hold you wheel and be even more focused than when driving without AP (you must drive AND check the AP’s behavior at the same time)

• Love x 1
  7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

I'm not sure why you are singling out the autopilot, I've seen many people do the EXACT same thing in this situation.

Situation: Autopilot doesn't know how to do turns, it just knows how to stay on same street. Autopilot looks at road and see the median and cars ahead of it and therefore needs to move to the right to stay in street. Same as person in left lane realizing that they want to get straight instead of turn.

I'd really have to call it your fault at this point, you are really asking the autopilot to do something that it is well documented that it can't do. Even adaptive cruise control will have problem through here.

8. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Autopilot isn't fully capable of or advertised as being able to navigate safely through intersections. Stick with highways and you'll be fine.

9. mathwhiz

mathwhiz Supporting Member

Honestly, the error here is not autopilot's, but the driver's. You're using autopilot in a situation for which it is not qualified.

Autopilot (using autosteer) works best on limited access, multi-lane, divided highways (no stop signs, no traffic lights) with clear pavement lane markings. Autopilot can also track a follow-vehicle. Autopilot is not qualified to operate in the situation you have in your photo. It's already a crapshoot when you attempt to operate on roads with traffic lights and/or stop signs, since it doesn't respect or act on these. Add in lane transition situations like the one captioned, and you have worse than a crapshoot.

Please read your Owner's Manual and know where to use, and when not to use, autopilot. Otherwise, something bad is going to happen.

10. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

Autopilot is just not safe on streets. I refuse to ever use it.
    Highways is where it really shines

• Like x 1
  11. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I would highly suggest getting a Cadillac that uses the Supercruise system.

Why? Cause it won't let you activate it unless it's on an approved road.

You don't have to read the manual.
    You don't have to understand how the system works.

A Cadillac will completely free you from the burden of those tasks.

• Funny x 1
  12. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

Which actually begs the question why Tesla does not do this also. Why doesn't Tesla simply disable AP on certain roads to prevent drivers from trying to use it on roads like in the OP which it is not designed for?

13. JayyyDeee

JayyyDeee Member

yes you are.. Your thinking actually makes no sense. Should city also be updating google maps for google as well or providing?

14. Brian-MS90D

Brian-MS90D Member

OP is hyperbolic. If your hand is on the steering wheel, then one can easily squeeze their hand as the steering wheel begins to dramatically move to prevent Autopilot from doing something crazy. If one's reflexes are so slow that they can't squeeze their hand before the car even comes close to leaving the lane, then that person shouldn't be driving period.

15. JayyyDeee

JayyyDeee Member

Actually when you go to t e autopilot web page it heavily implies that it is already capable of Enhanced autopilot. There needs to be a big disclaimer on the page saying some of these features are implemented. Or explicity state which features are/arent working

• Love x 1
  16. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

... be careful what you ask for...

Seriously though I much prefer the liability position where Tesla lays out the safe conditions for use and leaves it up to me to decide, instead of taking responsibility for the decision and perhaps getting it wrong...

• Like x 3
  17. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

Autopilot is a proprietary software of Tesla. Cities don't have access to it. How could they update it? That's like saying cities should update iPhones. It makes no sense.

18. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

Not really. It details auto lane change, auto steer, TACC etc... It does not even mention on-ramp exit and freeway transition. Those features are only mentioned in the future tense on the Model S order page and with a caveat that features are rolling out over time.

The Model 3 configurator does not mention the "enhanced" features at all.

I don't think there is any risk of Tesla getting it wrong if they lock out AP on city streets. I mean, it's not like anyone is going to confuse a two lane intersection in the center of a town with a 4 lane divided interstate.

19. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

It is a slippery slope though, once you have Tesla deciding where you can use it then you also have Tesla responsible for disabling it if there is construction on the interstate for example...

How about people actually take responsibility for making the decision for themselves for once?

Can't keep pushing the liability for making intelligent choices off onto Tesla all the time...

• Like x 2
  20. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

I see your point. And yes, I agree that people need to take responsibility. At the same time, it just concerns me when I see post after post of folks who still don't know what AP is despite all the information out there.