Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary Experience with AP2.0 Autosteer on the Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM's approach with Super Cruise seems to address issues like this. GM geo-mapped the 160,000 miles of highway where the system will work. They also tested every one of the 160,000 miles with a Super Cruise equipped car to validate the system before putting it on sale.

Not really but nice try. Supercruise is vaporware until its released and we have no idea how it actually works other than propaganda. Based on that my Tesla is a level 5 autonomous vehicle. Yea right.

• Disagree
Reactions: MS16
For the past 700 miles, I found my AP2 has handled freeway curves (including sharp interchanges) well as long as I manually adjust the system's speed to posted speed limits. I think it will automatically adjust its speed on curves in future (but not just yet for now).

Not in my experience in and around Chicago. I get the several straight lines = a curve effect (I call ping ponging but its actually gotten better over time). My Easter trip across the country was much better and I used AS at 70 or 75 without issue for 750 miles each way). I think it depends on the turn and the road for some reason.

I overcorrected. I experienced the same thing as the OP (but less serious). I was driving using AS at 80mph. Hit a curve (This was a month ago when 80mph AS was new and I didn't know it was unreliable). I had my hands on the wheel. AS failed to steer enough and as it hit the yellow and got close to the barrier, I took control. Instinctively I jerked the wheel hard to get back into my lane and avoid crashing into the barrier at 80. The issue is that AS was "holding" the wheel and there was tension. Breaking that tension created the oversteer. Then I overcompensated on gaining control. Luckily I was able to gain control after that quickly but it happened so fast (80mph) and, this is important, jerking the wheel does not disengage TACC so my car kept trying to go 80 rather than slow down naturally.

Subsequently I tap the brakes anytime I want to disengage. That takes care of TACC and AS and allows me to not have to fight the car for control in an emergency. I also avoid using AS at 80mph but I feel like its performing better (despite no updates) since a month ago. Just a scary situation and I don't like Tesla's reaction. I got no response to my report of this bug. Tesla responded even more poorly to OP.

Exactly. The tension that is required on the steering wheel to disengage AS with AP2 is usually much greater than AP1. This creates the situation of having to apply more force leading to over-steer when attempting to disengage the system.

You have to learn to use the brake while disangaging instead of just grabbing the wheel. AP1 is much more user-friendly. AP1 also doesn't go berserk from time to time with lights and sounds the same way AP2 does.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Vad42
I have found it easier to simply flick the AP/TACC stalk on the steering column to disengage. But either way works. Fighting the wheel is certainly not the best approach.

In an emergency, I'd rather stick with tapping the brakes. Finding the AP stalk and remembering to push it away (when I usually only pull it towards, up or down) is probably too much to ask (for me, clearly to each their own). I had maybe .5 seconds to take over and avoid crashing into a concrete barrier while going 80mph. Turning the wheel is the instinctive thing to do (for me). Braking hard isn't always the best option (and I'm certainly not used to tapping the brakes).

I'm getting used to it but AP2 doesn't jive with traditional driving habits. It requires that you relearn basic techniques which isn't ideal and leads to these kinds of situations. I am used to fishtailing (ice/snow all over) so I know how to turn and not turn as it requires. I never deviated into a neighboring lane and it was over with after 3 wobbles (didn't actually come closer than 2-4 feet from barrier but that's plenty close for me).

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Just a scary situation and I don't like Tesla's reaction. I got no response to my report of this bug. Tesla responded even more poorly to OP.

My issue with Tesla is their canned responses to reporting problems and trying to get answers as to how AP2 is supposed to work, given the lack of proper documentation.

I asked via mail the other day about how to best report these false positives and general AP2 anomalies. Not happy with the canned reply of "voice feedback to do a bug report". As they state, these are periodically reviewed. Really? If it's critical to the point I'm reporting it, that does not warrant a periodic review. Kind of makes me feel it may never be looked into. Then there's the "mail us the details with time stamps etc" response, and as others have found, the reply is generally "no problems found."

My real issue, and I'm trying again to get Tesla to state definitively, is why do we have to report these problems with AP2 when they state their neural network, fleet learning AI is supposed to "fix" these problems.

Why after a near accident, or even a less severe incident, are we as drivers expected to take our attention off of the road and use a poor system that hardly gets speech to text correct, to report something that should be uploaded automatically once on WiFi?

Sorry, rant mode off.

GM's approach with Super Cruise seems to address issues like this. GM geo-mapped the 160,000 miles of highway where the system will work. They also tested every one of the 160,000 miles with a Super Cruise equipped car to validate the system before putting it on sale.

Not really but nice try. Supercruise is vaporware until its released and we have no idea how it actually works other than propaganda. Based on that my Tesla is a level 5 autonomous vehicle. Yea right.

I think it's a pretty sure bet that GM's geo-mapping which restricts their system to only work in areas it was designed for will be more effective than Tesla's system. AP relies on the driver to know where the system will work or not work properly. That hasn't ended well in many occasions.

In my opinion, a system that automatically restricts it's use in areas it was not designed for is a better design than relying on a typical driver to make those decisions.

I think it's a pretty sure bet that GM's geo-mapping which restricts their system to only work in areas it was designed for will be more effective than Tesla's system. AP relies on the driver to know where the system will work or not work properly. That hasn't ended well in many occasions.

In my opinion, a system that automatically restricts it's use in areas it was not designed for is a better design than relying on a typical driver to make those decisions.

You really have to "Disagree" my post when you could actually write out a real response? For the record, Tesla also limits the system to where they think it works best (geofenced) but sh!t happens. GM's system hasn't been exposed to real life conditions, hence my post. Your "rebuttal" does nothing to address this reality vs. fantasy distinction. Remember, on paper anything is awesome.

...their canned responses...

Current AP2 is a work in progress.

Other companies would not release a feature that was capped at 35 mph on freeway.

But Tesla did.

There's no need to report to Tesla that I almost got rear-ended and killed because Autopilot was capped at 35 mph on freeway while the traffic was 80 mph.

That is not a bug! The system performed exactly what it was intended to do.

Tesla engineers were working hard on how to increase the cap to 45 mph on freeway so we should not give them a hard time and slow them down because their goal was not just 45 mph but eventually 80 mph in the first place!

If you want to test unfinished AP2 out then go ahead and do it.

Otherwise, you can repeat what Volvo complained:

“Every time I drive (Autopilot), I’m convinced it’s trying to kill me,”

Thus, for those who would be comfortable with a finished product, they should wait and abstain from using this current unfinished product.

Do you have skin in the game or not?

That's the nature of current AP2. It works as intended.

Last edited:
AP2 does geofence to control autosteer speed limit.

Currently, surface streets are 35 mph even though around in my area eve when posted speed limits are as high as 40 to 55 mph.

For surface streets with no lanes at all, Autosteer (maximum at 35mph) works for me too.
I'm not sure geofencing is the right term for that, but I can't think of anything better :confused:

...not sure geofencing...

Google says:
-------------------
ge·o·fenc·ing
ˈjēōˌfensiNG/
noun
  1. the use of GPS or RFID technology to create a virtual geographic boundary, enabling software to trigger a response when a mobile device enters or leaves a particular area.
    "geofencing turns the lights off when you leave and on when you get home"

-------------------
So as soon as I get off a surface street to freeway, my autosteer would allow me to increase the cap to 80 mph.

It does the opposite as soon as I exit freeway to surface streets, my autosteer would automatically decrease the cap to 35 mph.

At some point some of you are going to have to stop taking every new post by every new member at face value... There are so many things wrong with the original post that screams BS...

Jeff
Just because someone is new, doesn't mean they're wrong.

The OP is wrong, but not because he's new.

Also, he registered in 2011. He just only posted once before this. A man of few words!

AP2 is definitely geofenced. I drive past the Highland Park Tesla. Its on IL Route 41. At that stretch it is a legit highway (exit ramp 41 Central Ave is the exit for the Tesla SvC and SC and store). It does not allow AS at highway speeds until Lake-Cook Road, as IL 41 turns to I-90/94. The steering wheel icon lights up as I pass the exit sign. It always comes on with 100 feet of that sign. If I drive in the other direction, I will lose the ability to auto lane change at the same location (but it still allow AS because it was active, if I deactivate it I cannot reactivate it at highway speeds).

Losing auto-lane change at the spot proves the geofence works because it allows higher speed AS but I lose that part of the programming.