Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary moment after software update 2.52.120 on HW2 model. Car would not charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the notification today for the 2.52.120 update. Ran outside and started the update. About 20 mins later I got a new notification that the update was done.

Went out to the car and I noticed a clicking sound (relay on/off) on the HPWC. Then I looked at the charging port and the light was going from white to green and back to white in about 2 sec intervals. I reset the HPWC. That didn't help. Same behavior. I removed the charging cable from the port and reconnected it. Same issue. Inside touch screen showed "Charging" with 240V, 40/40 amps but with 0 miles/hour. At that point I was scared, started to think about software rollback etc.

Decided to take the car for a ride for a few miles. Did about 3-4 miles and back. Then I reconnected the charging cable and... all is good. Car is charging.

No idea what happened, but I am sure it wasn't the HPWC. I am sure it was the update.

No matter the case, what is the right thing to do in cases like this? How do you reboot the car? How do you reset the charging port/system? And is this the right thing to do?

Also, is there a way to roll back a software update? Can a service center do it?

Don't panic, just reboot.
To reboot, press down the brake and both scroll wheels. Let go when the center screen T appears (after about 20 or 30 seconds).
No a software update can't be rolled back. If there's a bug the next build should fix it, and if it's a significant bug the next build will come quickly.

I don't think you have to be concerned by a potential mechanical or component issue. It happens that these software update cause issues with the software in the car. I would however report it to Tesla as they will be able to monitor potential software update concerns and, if necessary, modify the tesla software accordingly.

Got the notification today for the 2.52.120 update. Ran outside and started the update. About 20 mins later I got a new notification that the update was done.

Went out to the car and I noticed a clicking sound (relay on/off) on the HPWC. Then I looked at the charging port and the light was going from white to green and back to white in about 2 sec intervals. I reset the HPWC. That didn't help. Same behavior. I removed the charging cable from the port and reconnected it. Same issue. Inside touch screen showed "Charging" with 240V, 40/40 amps but with 0 miles/hour. At that point I was scared, started to think about software rollback etc.

Decided to take the car for a ride for a few miles. Did about 3-4 miles and back. Then I reconnected the charging cable and... all is good. Car is charging.

No idea what happened, but I am sure it wasn't the HPWC. I am sure it was the update.

No matter the case, what is the right thing to do in cases like this? How do you reboot the car? How do you reset the charging port/system? And is this the right thing to do?

Also, is there a way to roll back a software update? Can a service center do it?
Software has been rolled back before. When a bug is found, they will stop deployment and update you to a new version which is technically the old, original one.

I saw a warning about charger cable before installing the upgrade. My take on it was the pending upgrade disabled the chargier port as I've read here not to touch anything during the upgrade, including charging.

Unplugged the UMC and upgraded. Have not checked either status yet but suspect all'S fine.

Maybe coincidence, but my car failed to charge overnight when this upgrade was pending. The TeslaFi logs show that it started OK but immediately stopped a minute or so later.

The first update I received I scheduled "during the night" when charging was also scheduled. Charging stopped, during the update, so since then I set the update for a couple of hours before scheduled Off Peak charging starts to avoid not being fully charged in the morning.