Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary Random emergency braking on highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks - since latest firmware upgrade 2021.4.18.2 (performed few weeks ago) we have had atleast 6 scary random braking incidents at highway speeds (some with autopilot / some with just cruise engaged). Car literally stomps on brakes with nothing going on around - we almost got rear ended twice as a result. Weather was fine each time. I turned off emergency braking in a 200km drive today and it didn’t happen again. Not ideal as cad won’t brake in a true emergency.

anyone experiencing similar?

Very interesting - our incidents occurred without any underpass that I can recall and mix of overcast and bright conditions. Ridiculous either way - inviting a serious rear ending when it happens randomly out of blue. I have asked Tesla to take a look during upcoming service visit

Hi Folks - since latest firmware upgrade 2021.4.18.2 (performed few weeks ago) we have had atleast 6 scary random braking incidents at highway speeds (some with autopilot / some with just cruise engaged). Car literally stomps on brakes with nothing going on around - we almost got rear ended twice as a result. Weather was fine each time. I turned off emergency braking in a 200km drive today and it didn’t happen again. Not ideal as cad won’t brake in a true emergency.

anyone experiencing similar?

Would be helpful if you posted the video and comments on the time stamp where it happened.

Yes I’ve had this happen many time. But I’ve also learned to look for the kind of things that seem to trigger it. There is one spot near my house where it triggers 8/10 times. It’s a square path on the road and is black compared to surround grey. To the camera and t must took like a huge box in the road.

Sometimes I've noticed that the speed limit Autopilot sees, suddenly goes much lower and it brakes to hit that lower speed. There is not always a rhyme or reason that I can tell, for it to change the speed.

Reactions: BM3B
I had a highway braking and noticed a tree branch was down (but not on the driving lane) 1/8 mile ahead (not sure if that was the reason, or a coincidence).
In any event, I use TACC with my foot near the accelerator, so at worse, the braking is only for 1/2 second.
Just wondering...how long braking lasts...does it continue to a severe slowing/stop...or does the car realize the mistake and resume normal driving?

And that is one of the reasons that Tesla is getting rid of the radar and just going with cameras. That’s what Andre Kaparthy, Tesla’s head of Auto Pilot, has stated.
Why does Tesla cruise do this, while my Chevy Volt and Caddy SRX both with adaptive cruise and emergency braking have NEVER done this with camera/radar systems that they have? Damn dinosaur company, getting this right, how wrong! This seems to be an annoying Telsa thing I never even knew existing before (brake slamming for no reason). And no, it wasn't shadows or overpasses when my Tesla does it, rather 2 lane, 55 mph roads with nothing really ahead.

Maybe the Tesla is overly agressive and would save us from something GMs cars wouldn't. In the mean time, annoying.

Why does Tesla cruise do this, while my Chevy Volt and Caddy SRX both with adaptive cruise and emergency braking have NEVER done this with camera/radar systems that they have? Damn dinosaur company, getting this right, how wrong! This seems to be an annoying Telsa thing I never even knew existing before (brake slamming for no reason). And no, it wasn't shadows or overpasses when my Tesla does it, rather 2 lane, 55 mph roads with nothing really ahead.

Maybe the Tesla is overly agressive and would save us from something GMs cars wouldn't. In the mean time, annoying.
My wife absolutely refuses to use TACC or AP outside of bumper to bumper traffic because she's been scared enough by this issue consistently surfacing that it's just not worth it. Luckily my Tesla lease is almost up...

Jeff

Luckily my Tesla lease is almost up...

Jeff
What does that mean? No new Tesla when this one is off lease? If that's the case, Tesla needs to see this as a problem. They are going to loose a 2x customer who bought 2 VERY expensive models (S and X). If you leave, that's not good for the company.

They need to fix these annoyances that others don't have as the competition gets better or it's not good for them. Until now, no comp and really is there any yet? Mach E, ID4, Ionic? They are all just hurting on charging, as decent cars. So the competition is getting better every day and this is something new for Tesla to compete against.

we have had atleast 6 scary random braking incidents at highway speeds (some with autopilot / some with just cruise engaged). Car literally stomps on brakes with nothing going on around
I get highway braking sporadically. When I do, I press the accelerator quickly to override the brakes.
Just wondering if the car eventually realizes the mistake and resumes acceleration on its own? Has anyone noticed how long the braking lasts?
Is it 60->0 or 60->50->60. etc.?

Not saying anyone should be a daredevil, but I wonder if anyone was on an open highway and tested to see how long before the car resumed acceleration.

Last edited:
I get highway braking sporadically. When I do, I press the accelerator quickly to override the brakes.
Just wondering if the car eventually realizes the mistake and resumes acceleration on its own? Has anyone noticed how long the braking lasts?
Is it 60->0 or 60->50->60. etc.?

Not saying anyone should be a daredevil, but I wonder if anyone was on an open highway and tested to see how long before the car resumed acceleration.
It's relatively quick, say a couple seconds and all is good again, as can slowly let foot off. Until it happens again...

I've had the experience a few times too. I do believe overpasses can trigger it though I have no hard evidence.

When FSD or Nav on Autopilot has some sort of botch, does that info get sent back to Tesla for analysis. I allow data sharing.

Mine has done this several times in both FSD and Autopilot cruise. It appears to be some object that TeslaVision interprets as a hazard, I have noticed a few times that billboard on the roadside on a left or right sweeper are present when the brakes slam on. This has also happened on undivided highways with long shadows from oncoming vehicles in my lane. I have had several cars behind me have to take evasive action and pass me while these hard braking events are taking place. Fortunately they had room to change lanes. This has happened late afternoon (sunny), before sunrise in morning, and at other times of day, so it seems independent of lighting factors. I agree it is very unnerving and needs to be addressed by Tesla.

Mine has done this several times in both FSD and Autopilot cruise. It appears to be some object that TeslaVision interprets as a hazard, I have noticed a few times that billboard on the roadside on a left or right sweeper are present when the brakes slam on. This has also happened on undivided highways with long shadows from oncoming vehicles in my lane. I have had several cars behind me have to take evasive action and pass me while these hard braking events are taking place. Fortunately they had room to change lanes. This has happened late afternoon (sunny), before sunrise in morning, and at other times of day, so it seems independent of lighting factors. I agree it is very unnerving and needs to be addressed by Tesla.

This is why I think Rader (and/or Lidar) is still valid. TeslaVision doesn't always know what the hell it's doing. Honestly I think it would be easier to code for radar/lidar but Musk is taking us down this camera path and radar has already been removed from (some) cars so I guess we'll see.

This is why I think Rader (and/or Lidar) is still valid. TeslaVision doesn't always know what the hell it's doing. Honestly I think it would be easier to code for radar/lidar but Musk is taking us down this camera path and radar has already been removed from (some) cars so I guess we'll see.
I am sure mine has no radar/lidar hardware as it is a MAY21 build. I have confidence the software and AI will continue to improve the FSD but for now it is quite the experience. Just about the time you get some confidence that things are running well at 80 mph....WHAM...the brakes are slowing to 50 or less. I don't know how much less as I usu. click out of FSD and take over. I have had some 'brake tap' experiences that only last a second or so and resume FSD. It's like an amusement park ride in FSD.....lot's of thrills and surprises. LOL

Reactions: Donncha
I am sure mine has no radar/lidar hardware as it is a MAY21 build. I have confidence the software and AI will continue to improve the FSD but for now it is quite the experience. Just about the time you get some confidence that things are running well at 80 mph....WHAM...the brakes are slowing to 50 or less. I don't know how much less as I usu. click out of FSD and take over. I have had some 'brake tap' experiences that only last a second or so and resume FSD. It's like an amusement park ride in FSD.....lot's of thrills and surprises. LOL
My MX has radar and displays the same systems.