Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary Random emergency braking on highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks - since latest firmware upgrade 2021.4.18.2 (performed few weeks ago) we have had atleast 6 scary random braking incidents at highway speeds (some with autopilot / some with just cruise engaged). Car literally stomps on brakes with nothing going on around - we almost got rear ended twice as a result. Weather was fine each time. I turned off emergency braking in a 200km drive today and it didn’t happen again. Not ideal as cad won’t brake in a true emergency.

anyone experiencing similar?
It happened twice to me. One time there was a newly patched asphalt spot that was much darker than the rest of the road. The second time was in rain. I've only had the car for a month so I didn't know if this was normal or not

I am sure mine has no radar/lidar hardware as it is a MAY21 build. I have confidence the software and AI will continue to improve the FSD but for now it is quite the experience. Just about the time you get some confidence that things are running well at 80 mph....WHAM...the brakes are slowing to 50 or less. I don't know how much less as I usu. click out of FSD and take over. I have had some 'brake tap' experiences that only last a second or so and resume FSD. It's like an amusement park ride in FSD.....lot's of thrills and surprises. LOL
I thought it was like riding in the car teaching a 14yo to drive

Reactions: ZilWin
It happened twice to me. One time there was a newly patched asphalt spot that was much darker than the rest of the road. The second time was in rain. I've only had the car for a month so I didn't know if this was normal or not
Not 'normal' but it seems to be characteristic of the current Tesla FSD. Elon knew what he was doing when he put the 'Beta' disclaimer on everything. LOL

Brand new Model 3 July 2021. First day in the car, heading home on the freeway, we get the Sh*t scared out of us by having the car suddenly slam on the brakes for no discernable reason! Holy Coyote! It has subsequently happened MULTIPLE times in less than a week! So now we have started making "bug reports", but we are VERY VERY unhappy that we didn't get the slightest warning that this sort of thing is possible! We are in our mid-70s and early 80s, and this is SO not cool! Otherwise, this car is amazing, and I hope they get this figured out before it kills us in an accident or by heart attack! Called customer service to report the problem, and I'm told it's TYPICAL! It's our only car, having traded in our Subaru, and we put our retirement savings into it - BAD, Tesla! Bad, bad, bad!

So for what it's worth, and assuming we have the "latest and greatest" model and software and all - it's not fixed, folks! Far from it!

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Brand new Model 3 July 2021. First day in the car, heading home on the freeway, we get the Sh*t scared out of us by having the car suddenly slam on the brakes for no discernable reason! Holy Coyote! It has subsequently happened MULTIPLE times in less than a week! So now we have started making "bug reports", but we are VERY VERY unhappy that we didn't get the slightest warning that this sort of thing is possible! We are in our mid-70s and early 80s, and this is SO not cool! Otherwise, this car is amazing, and I hope they get this figured out before it kills us in an accident or by heart attack! Called customer service to report the problem, and I'm told it's TYPICAL! It's our only car, having traded in our Subaru, and we put our retirement savings into it - BAD, Tesla! Bad, bad, bad!

So for what it's worth, and assuming we have the "latest and greatest" model and software and all - it's not fixed, folks! Far from it!
I do not mean to sound like I am running you off, but you will likely get better responses if you post this over in the Model 3 forum, rather than here in the Model X forum.

These events were somewhat commonplace years ago when AP 2.0 was initially released. Overhead highway signs, bridges, etc. more often that not caused my Teslas to slam on the brakes and much like you've described almost caused multiple accidents. Over the past 2 - 3 years the tech got much better and learned to not brake in most if not all of the areas around me that initially caused those issues. However, I agree that something in the last 1 - 2 updates has caused many of these issues to come back. It's almost as if Tesla has dumped a lot of their "learned" data out now that they've decided to go vision-only and we are starting from scratch again.

Reactions: ZilWin
These events were somewhat commonplace years ago when AP 2.0 was initially released. Overhead highway signs, bridges, etc. more often that not caused my Teslas to slam on the brakes and much like you've described almost caused multiple accidents. Over the past 2 - 3 years the tech got much better and learned to not brake in most if not all of the areas around me that initially caused those issues. However, I agree that something in the last 1 - 2 updates has caused many of these issues to come back. It's almost as if Tesla has dumped a lot of their "learned" data out now that they've decided to go vision-only and we are starting from scratch again.
probably truer than folks realize. Eliminating the radar most likely left big holes in their code that need to be filled in with Vision coverage. I'll risk saying I think they will refine the code and get rid of the glitchiness in the system. I wish they'd fix the Auto high beam flashing issues. That's more annoying than the Amusement Park ride sudden braking. I get it though. They need the high beams to let the Vision system 'see'. How about some IR camera lenses like every other cheap security camera now uses to enhance the night vision and weather vision of the system.