Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCCA Autocross Class for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week's Autocross with the Lonestar BMW chapter. Very fun and fast course. Third overall. Real feel temp outside was 115 and it was unbearable. I can't wait for fall!

Lone Star BMW has you do 5 runs back-to-back in the morning and another five back-to-back in the afternoon. The Hoosier A7 tires had too much heat in them after the third runs. Back-to-back and the outside temps really affected the tire temps. I played around the with the track mode settings and car liked -2 to -1 stability assist and 50/50 handling balance. The car still pushes in slower tight turns when the tires are very hot, but you can get the back end to slide easily with a little throttle, but be careful it can snap back quickly. I apologize for the shaky video. The heat was intense that day and affected the mount.

Attachments

• LS BMW Top 10 Results.png
    LS BMW Top 10 Results.png
    356.4 KB · Views: 108
I don’t know how you deal with the stability control. I have everything off and there is a notable dead spot coMing out of some corners

You're correct about the power being cut at certain high steering angles. It's annoying, but I find it's faster around the course to have some stability control on than not. The line between grip and no grip on these tires is thin.

Here are a few pictures from the event.

Attachments

• Tesla AutoX Pic 1 RESIZE.jpg
    Tesla AutoX Pic 1 RESIZE.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 91
  • Tesla AutoX Pic 4 RESIZE.jpg
    Tesla AutoX Pic 4 RESIZE.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: Mash
I posted my RaceRender template over here a while back if anyone is interested in grabbing it as a starting point

First Autocross in the Performance....

I def saw power cut last event going through a slalom with the throttle pinned. I was at 50/50 0. I am going to try to start dialing stability back and seeing what happens.

You can see it here, it drops into the 170's right before the finish

Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
Had my best showing yesterday... had FTD for a while and then the C6 Z06 took it from me by 0.02 literally 60 seconds before it downpoured and took away the rest of our dry runs. Ended up 2nd in raw, 2nd in pax, 1st in SS. I still managed a 28.3 in the wet with a river running through the middle of the course, this car is insane. Can't wait to get on coilovers with camber.

upload_2020-8-24_12-9-57.png

Had my best showing yesterday... had FTD for a while and then the C6 Z06 took it from me by 0.02 literally 60 seconds before it downpoured and took away the rest of our dry runs. Ended up 2nd in raw, 2nd in pax, 1st in SS. I still managed a 28.3 in the wet with a river running through the middle of the course, this car is insane. Can't wait to get on coilovers with camber.

View attachment 580147

You can hang your head high. You beat the GT3!

Just wanted to add, I ran my first autocross in about 15 years this past Sunday. Ran the car completely stock (with all of 100 miles on it). It was an absolute blast! After the first run I dialed back the stability control to -2 and the F/R bias to 60% rear. The adjustment seemed to allow a little more rotation as it was pushing pretty hard otherwise. I say all this but I FULLY recognize that the biggest adjustment and gains to be made are with the driver! I'm really looking forward to more with this car. I was able to work my way down from a 45.8 on the first run to a 41.8 on my last (fifth) run. There were a ton of CAM class cars there and the fast ones were running high 39s, so I'm not unhappy with my first time out in a very long time in a new car.

I was the only Tesla there (Cincinnati region) and the car got a lot of positive attention and everyone there couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming.

For those considering autocross I highly recommend it!

I went to my first autocross on Sunday with my P3D- and it was a lot of fun! There were no other SS cars there so I just compared my raw times with the BS cars. I was happy with my times for the first time. Hit the limit of the tires, I am running the Ps4S on the stock 18s in 255 width. I was happy with the stock suspension but I would like to add coilovers to lower the car. But i don't want to be in an even more competitive class, so we will see.

I used the onboard cams and the track mode telemetry did not record.

I posted my RaceRender template over here a while back if anyone is interested in grabbing it as a starting point

First Autocross in the Performance....

I def saw power cut last event going through a slalom with the throttle pinned. I was at 50/50 0. I am going to try to start dialing stability back and seeing what happens.

You can see it here, it drops into the 170's right before the finish

What are you using to pull/log the data for racerender overlay?