Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCCA Autocross Class for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All available adjustable camber arms and any rear arms are not allowed in STU or ASP, only SM since they all include spherical bearings and too much metal. There are a few companies coming out with offset bushings instead but I am not aware of any ASP legal product for camber

That is disappointing to hear! I didn't realize that. I am going to stay in street this year and see what happens. I think the car should still be competitive.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
47884662-2338-4A54-AE97-4E08EC5A9FF6.jpeg

Definitely an SS car. I got pax by over 300 points today. Yesterday I had pax with a cone lol. Figuring the car out quickly...way way sick compared to the p85

Has there been any clarification on the Non-P Model 3 with acceleration boost classing? I don't think the Tesla dealer has any interest or knowledge in that subject. I imagine you could buy this option before you pick up the car, as soon as you have a VIN #, but bumping the car out of D street is also an great excuse not to spend $2k this summer.

Has there been any clarification on the Non-P Model 3 with acceleration boost classing? I don't think the Tesla dealer has any interest or knowledge in that subject. I imagine you could buy this option before you pick up the car, as soon as you have a VIN #, but bumping the car out of D street is also an great excuse not to spend $2k this summer.

Still D street as far as I know

May be updated next year

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
What's the source on this, BTW? I downloaded the March 16, 2000 release of the Solo rules document off the official site and if I'm reading it correctly it lists everything non-performance in DS.

https://www.scca.com/downloads/49413-2020-03-20-fastrack-solo-all-thru-april/download

Page 48.

#28043 Tesla Acceleration Boost Update the following listings in Appendix A: SS Tesla Model 3 Performance(all)(2018-20) DS Tesla Model 3 (excluding Performance)(2018-20) Due to the continual updates to the car from Tesla, such Dyno mode, Track mode version 2, etc, rather than re-classing the car for each update, the SAC is choosing to re-class all of the Model 3 variants to SS utilizing SCCA Fastrack News May 2020 Page 5 rule 3.2. The SAC would like to remind the membership of the pending new EV classes that will provide an additional outlet for these cars.

Someone needs to provide SCCA w/ a basic understanding of Teslas and EVs in general. It's not like a RWD TM3 will suddenly "gain" a front motor as a result of a OTA update.
The lack of basic knowledge is stunning. When searching through the Fastrack issues I notice this gem:

#28157 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor
Thank you for your input. The SAC feels all variations of the Model 3 Performance are appropriately classed at this time.​

No, that isn't from 2 years ago. That was in March. Everything is a "Performance" or something?

This is bad news IMO. Is this effective immediately? I'm already registered for June events in D street.
Yup. Have fun hanging out with the Porsches. :)

I was considering getting back out this fall. The SCCA events here aren't the best for just driving but compared to the BMW and Porsche club events I was grouped with a semblance of "similarly capable vehicles". If my times are going to get grouped into SS, and I won't necessary be driving the same heats so won't be able to do an unofficial realistic comparison myself, I might as well go to the BMW event and "compete" with the modded Lotus. At least I get more runs, and the paddock and pit isn't so crowded.

Last edited:
Or straight up malice. "EV classes"? Expect some real "separate but equal" level nonsense there.

The SCCA is dead to me now, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the hope. Learning new things is hard, new things are scary.

I am not an SCCA member but was considering it, not a chance I will support them now. I run with a non SCCA club but they follow SCCA classing.

Their argument was more based on the acceleration boost, and how they can't predict how Tesla will improve the performance of the car going forwards.

They also reference some nebulous EV class (the announced EV-X which has no rules)

Basically they just don't want their gas cars to be out competed. Ignore the competition part, go run X class (time only) for fun and just compare your raw times with however you want.

Their argument was more based on the acceleration boost, and how they can't predict how Tesla will improve the performance of the car going forwards.
I expect I'm not arguing with you but that's just lack of knowledge and understanding (and probably driving noise from membership at the Rules committee driven by a mix of jealously and paranoid). The freebie bumps tend to be really minimal impact, in comparison with the large granularity their classes inherently work on. On my AWD the HP boost had very near zero impact, since that didn't touch the curve below 50MPH.

Track Mode v2 might bring some tweaking benefit that matters some? It looks more aimed at road track support but configurability matters, I guess. Still they had already (in response?) reclassed the P back in March at the same time that update was rolling out. This isn't Super Secret stuff (and most assuredly Musk doesn't care enough to time a surprise release for Nationals or something, expecting that is just SCCA ego).

Further things like Acceleration Boost, which the owner has to explicitly purchase and add, can be blanket forbidden pending being added to a white list. Really easy to check purchased stuff, generally easier than a mechanical inspection eligibility challenge.

I know, I know, effort! ;)

Basically they just don't want their gas cars to be out competed. Ignore the competition part, go run X class (time only) for fun and just compare your raw times with however you want.
Yeah. Locally they have a made-up STO class that's basically "X". However for me locally the better (and cheaper) version of that are non-SCCA options. The only thing the SCCA potentially brings to the table here now is that their insurance allows non-instructor riders, where-as for the BMW and Porsche clubs you can only have two in a vehicle if one of them is an club approved instructor (either the driver or the rider), and that's not something I really care about.

I expect I'm not arguing with you but that's just lack of knowledge and understanding (and probably driving noise from membership at the Rules committee driven by a mix of jealously and paranoid). The freebie bumps tend to be really minimal impact, in comparison with the large granularity their classes inherently work on. On my AWD the HP boost had very near zero impact, since that didn't touch the curve below 50MPH.

Track Mode v2 might bring some tweaking benefit that matters some? It looks more aimed at road track support but configurability matters, I guess. Still they had already (in response?) reclassed the P back in March at the same time that update was rolling out. This isn't Super Secret stuff (and most assuredly Musk doesn't care enough to time a surprise release for Nationals or something, expecting that is just SCCA ego).

Further things like Acceleration Boost, which the owner has to explicitly purchase and add, can be blanket forbidden pending being added to a white list. Really easy to check purchased stuff, generally easier than a mechanical inspection eligibility challenge.

I know, I know, effort! ;)

Yeah. Locally they have a made-up STO class that's basically "X". However for me locally the better (and cheaper) version of that are non-SCCA options. The only thing the SCCA potentially brings to the table here now is that their insurance allows non-instructor riders, where-as for the BMW and Porsche clubs you can only have two in a vehicle if one of them is an club approved instructor (either the driver or the rider), and that's not something I really care about.

Yea I was referring specifically to the rationale of moving the non-P model 3 (which can't have track mode) to SS. It's stupid.