Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCCA Autocross

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I attended my first SCCA autocross event last Saturday in my RWD Model 3. The event was organized by Cal Club, and they did a great job of it. I had planned to do some runs with stock traction control, and compare them against runs using MPP Party Box VSC defeat device. I quickly found that it is unbearable to do autocross with the stock traction control on. The car constantly cuts power through every sharp turn. I turned the Party Box on before my second run and never went back.

Saturday was the practice event before Sunday's official points event. The nice thing about the practice day that you get a lot of runs. I was able to get in 7 runs in the morning session and 10 runs in the afternoon. My best run of 70.164 was the very last of the day, and I still felt there was another second or two in it. I was happy to see that my time was faster than any of the times posted for the Novice group at Sunday's event, and was competitive with the "D Street" times, which is where the RWD Model 3 would be classed.

I have only done a couple of autocross events in the past, and find that it always takes me a good while before I feel comfortable with the course. Unlike a road course that you can study in advance, it all hits you at once when you get onsite. If you autocross regularly and have any tips on how to acclimate more quickly, please share. I did get some great advice from Kyle O'Rourke, who had the only other Tesla at the event. Kyle went on to win the "B street" class with a 66.906 in his P3D on Sunday.

My biggest tip is walk the course till you can close your eyes and envision driving it. Then drive it :)

always look ahead at where you want to be for the next cones, not the cones you are passing at the time. Never get 'behind'

also look forward and backwards when you are walking the course, helps in some areas to see where you can come out of something in a better placement

My wife went autocrossing with me her second time last weekend. The advice that seemed to help her was, follow the course (that's why they say walk it a few times) and then add speed by trying to keep it tight (stay close to the important cones so you're not wasting distance/time going way around each cone.) She was able to improve quite a bit in 6 runs.