Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE Billing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all and Happy Tuesday. I wanted to see if any of you that have SCE are having issues with their billing . I received PTO on 9/10 and was told by SCE it can take 30-60 days before they have their billing corrected in their system. It has now been 3 months and they still have no clue on will this will be fixed. They also have been told to stop promising a completion date. They said I could pay the bill and just get a credit at the end, I laughed at the rep and said I'll wait until our true up time next September happens.

hmmm I seem to be lucky. I was surprised with my own situation and SCE efficiency. I got PTO on 12/4. I was put on NEM billing from 12/5 and my bill seems to reflect that. Sorry to hear your scenario. I saw I am already on Month 2 of the 12 months NEM cycle because my billing cycle is around 10th of each month

hmmm I seem to be lucky. I was surprised with my own situation and SCE efficiency. I got PTO on 12/4. I was put on NEM billing from 12/5 and my bill seems to reflect that. Sorry to hear your scenario. I saw I am already on Month 2 of the 12 months NEM cycle because my billing cycle is around 10th of each month
Thanks for the reply, I am curious on how the new bill would look like and how much they charge for grid maintenance.

Thanks for the reply, I am curious on how the new bill would look like and how much they charge for grid maintenance.

I am on NEM 1.0 so cant tell you exactly how it will look for you. I would imagine the basics are the same, though. If you are a net producer for the month, you bet billed for the bace charges (non bypassable charges, or base charges for being connected). In my case that is about $10 -$11. If I am a net consumer for the month, because NEM has almost no NBCs, I only pay about $1.50 or so with the rest going to the true up total.

Because I have my "SCE year" start in march, I always start with negative numbers (or said another way, I am a net producer from march till about october every year), so I always have a credit on my account when I get to the colder months when I dont produce enough solar to cover it. So from march to october when I am a net producer I pay $10-11 a month. From November to Feb I pay $1.50 a month and the consumption goes against the credit on my account.

Last year (2019) when I drove 18k miles with my model 3, my true up bill was $200. Before that, I always had a negative number at true up, which ended up getting paid at wholesale rates. I expect to break even this year, because I drive a lot less, but got a TV thats twice as power hungry as my last one, and it sees a lot of use.

Should be the same structure for you, just different amounts because you wont be on NEM 1 and will have non bypassable charges I dont have.

@jjrandorin Good points. I am consuming more per day now every time I charge my Model 3 or Model Y at home. If I produce enough during the spring / summer months , I assume that would compensate for the consumption in winter..provided I produce enough during march-oct to cover the charging during those months also.. is that correct?

@jjrandorin Good points. I am consuming more per day now every time I charge my Model 3 or Model Y at home. If I produce enough during the spring / summer months , I assume that would compensate for the consumption in winter..provided I produce enough during march-oct to cover the charging during those months also.. is that correct?

Yes, thats how it would work. I have my true up period start in march on purpose, really for psychological reasons. Because I start my true up in march (thats month 1 for me) it means I always start my SCE billing period with monthly negative balances (although I still pay the 10-12 a month base fee. So, I add to my credit with SCE all summer, then pull from it in winter.

if your true up period starts in winter, then you have positive balances with SCE that would be offset when your spring / summer production kicks in. It is basically the same, but makes me feel better to have negative numbers and then winter being pulled from that, vs positive numbers and summer offsetting that. I like the "march to zero" to start from a negative number, lol

• Informative
Reactions: mnsweeps
Yes, thats how it would work. I have my true up period start in march on purpose, really for psychological reasons. Because I start my true up in march (thats month 1 for me) it means I always start my SCE billing period with monthly negative balances (although I still pay the 10-12 a month base fee. So, I add to my credit with SCE all summer, then pull from it in winter.

if your true up period starts in winter, then you have positive balances with SCE that would be offset when your spring / summer production kicks in. It is basically the same, but makes me feel better to have negative numbers and then winter being pulled from that, vs positive numbers and summer offsetting that. I like the "march to zero" to start from a negative number, lol

Thanks. I will have to wait till Oct /Nov next year to see if my 8.16 kw panels + 2 powerwalls can cover my Model 3 and Model Y needs :)

I am on NEM 1.0 so cant tell you exactly how it will look for you. I would imagine the basics are the same, though. If you are a net producer for the month, you bet billed for the bace charges (non bypassable charges, or base charges for being connected). In my case that is about $10 -$11. If I am a net consumer for the month, because NEM has almost no NBCs, I only pay about $1.50 or so with the rest going to the true up total.

Because I have my "SCE year" start in march, I always start with negative numbers (or said another way, I am a net producer from march till about october every year), so I always have a credit on my account when I get to the colder months when I dont produce enough solar to cover it. So from march to october when I am a net producer I pay $10-11 a month. From November to Feb I pay $1.50 a month and the consumption goes against the credit on my account.

Last year (2019) when I drove 18k miles with my model 3, my true up bill was $200. Before that, I always had a negative number at true up, which ended up getting paid at wholesale rates. I expect to break even this year, because I drive a lot less, but got a TV thats twice as power hungry as my last one, and it sees a lot of use.

Should be the same structure for you, just different amounts because you wont be on NEM 1 and will have non bypassable charges I dont have.

Thanks, I just wish SCE could get their billing corrected. I'll just have to wait until next month and see if they can fix it, but I have a feeling it won't get fixed.

It's been 9 months and SCE still hasn't fixed my billing yet...... Current bill is over $1100.00

That sounds like you are not getting NEM credit. It doesnt take that long (this thread was from december, which is now almost 6 months ago), so if I was you I would start escalating and contacting them every few days until someone fixed it.

Reactions: h2ofun
It's been 9 months and SCE still hasn't fixed my billing yet...... Current bill is over $1100.00
clearly sce has screwed up .. very annoying .. curious so do your sce bills even show you on nem plan at all ? or they have you on a plan but not giving you any credit for what you export to grid?
I am on sce tou 4-9 and nem 2.0 (i believe, PTO Feb 21') i can post one of my monthly bills if that is helpful to you at all

clearly sce has screwed up .. very annoying .. curious so do your sce bills even show you on nem plan at all ? or they have you on a plan but not giving you any credit for what you export to grid?
I am on sce tou 4-9 and nem 2.0 (i believe, PTO Feb 21') i can post one of my monthly bills if that is helpful to you at all
I'm still on my old billing with no mention of NEM anywhere. They just keep extending my due date by 30 days. Some reps ask me to just pay the past due and get a credit once they fix the bill and I just decline that since we are supposed to true up at the 1yr mark.

I have been calling them every month with no success.

If it were me, I wouldnt call "every month" I would call "every few days". If there is no mention of NEM, they might not have any way to see what your past production was, and you could end up with "estimates", like @SoCal Dave

Perhaps he has a contact at SCE that helped him figure out his issue (tagging him here to see)

Last edited:
If it were me, I wouldnt call "every month" I would call "every few days". If there is no mention of NEM, they might not have any way to see what your past production was, and you could end up with "estimates", like @SoCal Dave

Perhaps he has a contact at SCE that helped him figure out his issue (tagging him here to see)
SCE replaced the meter, but there has been nothing yet about the "bill dispute". I was told it can take 45 days to resolve. I was going to follow-up to see where it is at.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
SCE replaced the meter, but there has been nothing yet about the "bill dispute". I was told it can take 45 days to resolve. I was going to follow-up to see where it is at.
My solar panels were installed not too long after you had yours installed. I thought your billing was good. SCE told me that they have to manually fix it back to my PTO date of 9/10/2020

My solar panels were installed not too long after you had yours installed. I thought your billing was good. SCE told me that they have to manually fix it back to my PTO date of 9/10/2020

My bills align to what the app says all the way until Feb of this year. Then they start to be very different. So I think my meter died in February and they have been using estimates since.

I called SCE on Saturday about my bill dispute and I was told to call again next week if I hadn't heard anything.

My neighbor in the Santa Clarita area has solar via Vivint with an SCE NEM plan. They added 2 Powerwalls under the SGIP rebate program and had to switch to a new TOU plan as the older NEM plan wasn't allowed with the PW2 batteries. All was going well until a few months ago when they were no longer able to see the NEM and other usage data on the Edison website/app. Evidently it is due to a billing system upgrade at Edison and will be fixed 'soon'.

My neighbor in the Santa Clarita area has solar via Vivint with an SCE NEM plan. They added 2 Powerwalls under the SGIP rebate program and had to switch to a new TOU plan as the older NEM plan wasn't allowed with the PW2 batteries. All was going well until a few months ago when they were no longer able to see the NEM and other usage data on the Edison website/app. Evidently it is due to a billing system upgrade at Edison and will be fixed 'soon'.
Yes. SCE is currently having issues with usage data being displayed on their website. This has been going on for at least 2 months. This is what I get when I login. I have not had any issues with my actual bill. The data does appear to be accurate when I look at the bill each month
sce.JPG