Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE/Edison PTO notification question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When our installer submitted the Reservation Request Form for the SGIP incentive in August last year, we received an automated email from Edison's email system confirming receipt of the RRF form copied to the installer and myself as the homeowner.
When the installer submits a PTO application to Edison, does Edison provide a similar automated email notification confirming receipt of the PTO application to the installer and homeowner?
The reason I ask is that the installer indicated that they had submitted the PTO application over a week ago and I haven't received any PTO application confirmation emails from Edison. TIA.

You don't receive notice of the PTO application from SCE - they have an online portal for that, which the installer logs in to and manages... The installer can check the portal and see what the status is on the application... When you do receive PTO, you will be notified, by e-mail, or door card, but, other than that, nothing.

My install (by Tesla) was submitted to Edison for PTO on July 20th - no word yet.. I was even on hold with Edison for over an hour a couple of weeks ago trying to get my TOU plan changed (the SGIP for Equity/Resiliency requires you to be on TOU 5-8 or TOU Prime, and with a medical baseline, 5-8, because of the baseline credit, is the only option) - I asked them about PTO timeframes, and they said they're just backlogged... I've heard anywhere up to 8 weeks in some cases.

My system was installed in May... so, I'm just running in "test" mode as everyone seems to call it... I've given up trying to prevent any backfeed into the system (Edison hasn't said anything about it, the TOU charts on the Edison site just show 0 usage for that hour when it backfeeds - I just say they're getting a benefit right now of no-cost, no-exchange energy from me). I do primarily stick to Self-Consumption mode, and the only time backfeed really occurs is when OhmConnect is managing the Powerwall and changes modes (they really need to change their algorithm - switching to backup mode for 4 hours before an event is wasteful).

Reactions: TexacoStar5
You don't receive notice of the PTO application from SCE - they have an online portal for that, which the installer logs in to and manages... The installer can check the portal and see what the status is on the application... When you do receive PTO, you will be notified, by e-mail, or door card, but, other than that, nothing.

My install (by Tesla) was submitted to Edison for PTO on July 20th - no word yet.. I was even on hold with Edison for over an hour a couple of weeks ago trying to get my TOU plan changed (the SGIP for Equity/Resiliency requires you to be on TOU 5-8 or TOU Prime, and with a medical baseline, 5-8, because of the baseline credit, is the only option) - I asked them about PTO timeframes, and they said they're just backlogged... I've heard anywhere up to 8 weeks in some cases.

My system was installed in May... so, I'm just running in "test" mode as everyone seems to call it... I've given up trying to prevent any backfeed into the system (Edison hasn't said anything about it, the TOU charts on the Edison site just show 0 usage for that hour when it backfeeds - I just say they're getting a benefit right now of no-cost, no-exchange energy from me). I do primarily stick to Self-Consumption mode, and the only time backfeed really occurs is when OhmConnect is managing the Powerwall and changes modes (they really need to change their algorithm - switching to backup mode for 4 hours before an event is wasteful).

In regards to picking a ToU plan, is it wise to change it to one of those prior to PTO? I didn't want to get 'stuck' with the default ToU plan since I heard you can only change it once a year. I'm currently not even on a ToU plan since I haven't got my solar installed yet.

In regards to picking a ToU plan, is it wise to change it to one of those prior to PTO? I didn't want to get 'stuck' with the default ToU plan since I heard you can only change it once a year. I'm currently not even on a ToU plan since I haven't got my solar installed yet.
It takes Edison about a month to change your plan. We changed ours back in February when the batteries were originally scheduled to be delivered so we ate the Peak rate energy costs for 5 months until the Tesla batteries were installed. Since we have batteries, we went onto SCE's TOU D-Prime and the energy costs are definitely less expensive. Last year during Aug/Sep 2020 we used 772 KWh at a total bill cost of $125. In Jul/Aug 2021, we used 830KWh at a total bill cost of $113. So we used 7.5% more KWh and the bill was 10% less under the TOU D PRIME plan using the batteries to deliver the energy every day during Peak hours from 4-9pm.

Yes, you definitely want to initiate the change prior to PTO (you can do it afterwards, it doesn't matter, but, if they try and submit the SGIP application for funding, it will get rejected until your TOU is changed)... If you have your equipment in place, you can, as many others have done "test" the setup to help you save energy costs...

I guess You DO get a notice from PowerClerk when Tesla submits the application... seems like Tesla just takes their sweet time... I was told almost a month ago that they submitted my info for PTO... I guess they lied...

1629314338693.png

Yes, you definitely want to initiate the change prior to PTO (you can do it afterwards, it doesn't matter, but, if they try and submit the SGIP application for funding, it will get rejected until your TOU is changed)... If you have your equipment in place, you can, as many others have done "test" the setup to help you save energy costs...
++ on this. I phoned SCE to do the plan switch (D-Prime) as soon as the installers commissioned the powerwall.
I did get an email from SCE for the PTO:

"PERMISSION TO OPERATE
Self-Generation Facility Interconnected to SCE's Electric Grid"

also prior to that emails:
"Application Submitted" This e-mail confirms receipt of your Net Energy Metering Interconnection Request ("IR")
"Deemed Valid"
"Pending Final Documents"
"SCE Engineer Assigned. Pending Technical Review"
"SCE Technical Approval Complete Pending Final NEM Review"
"Fully Executed Agreement" (same day as PTO)

Last edited:
++ on this. I phoned SCE to do the plan switch (D-Prime) as soon as the installers commissioned the powerwall.
I did get an email from SCE for the PTO:

"PERMISSION TO OPERATE
Self-Generation Facility Interconnected to SCE's Electric Grid"

also prior to that emails:
"Application Submitted" This e-mail confirms receipt of your Net Energy Metering Interconnection Request ("IR")
"Deemed Valid"
"Pending Final Documents"
"SCE Engineer Assigned. Pending Technical Review"
"SCE Technical Approval Complete Pending Final NEM Review"
"Fully Executed Agreement" (same day as PTO)
How long was it between your tech review approval and PTO emails?

After being told that they submitted my PTO application to Edison on Aug 9th, I got an email from the installer on Aug 23rd asking me for my 'new' SCE account number. The original paperwork had been submitted to Edison last year when there were two different account numbers on my Edison bill - one for Edison's distribution charges and a second for Clean Power Alliance's generation charges.
It seems that sometime around April this year, Edison changed this in their billing system and I now have a new account number which is the same for both the distribution and generation charges.
Just a heads up to make sure your installer has your most current SCE account number. I'm pretty sure this will have put me back on the bottom of the PTO review pile and I should know in a couple of weeks based on when I get the formal acknowledgement of PTO application receipt email from SCE's PowerClerk system.

Is anyone staying in Clean Power Alliance while getting Powerwalls?
I opted out to go back to SCE unified distribution/generation charges because I was getting credits from distribution but charges every month for generation from CPA, and CPA requires any charges to be paid in that month, no yearly true up, and no way to pay for one with the other.

Is anyone staying in Clean Power Alliance while getting Powerwalls?
I opted out to go back to SCE unified distribution/generation charges because I was getting credits from distribution but charges every month for generation from CPA, and CPA requires any charges to be paid in that month, no yearly true up, and no way to pay for one with the other.
I stayed with SCE for the reasons you cited. Anyone with NEM should do the same because of the monthly billing by CPA.

I also have CPA and SCE. I plan to put in my Tesla solar order sometimes in Sept after I get my AC and roof replaced. Should I opt out CPA now or wait till the solar panels and PW are installed? Thanks.
You could do it now or wait until you are closer to having your system on-line. But it does take one billing cycle to make the change, so plan on doing it at least 30 days before you need it.

Reactions: KHYE
other than not paying monthly are there any benefits to abandoning the CPA? They claim they pay 10% more for the excess generation at true-up. I’ve never liked two separate charges on my bill so
I’m considering dropping the CPA from my SCE account as well.

other than not paying monthly are there any benefits to abandoning the CPA? They claim they pay 10% more for the excess generation at true-up. I’ve never liked two separate charges on my bill so
10% more for excess generation is $0.003 over the SCE rate, not worth it especially if you don't have a significant amount.

Here are the rates from their latest sheet...
1630130741989.png

But yup, unless you're generating a LOT.... Not sure if it's going to make difference...

Quick update on the PTO progress for our grid-charged Tesla backup batteries. The contractor reached out about 2 weeks after they claimed to have submitted the PTO application to confirm the SCE account number for our account. Just over a month later, I got a Docusign of the Interconnection Agreement from Edison's GIPT team for the batteries. The Parallel Operation date in the IA is about another five weeks out in early November, so hopefully it will be approved well before then.