TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

SCE gives $450 credit for driving an EV

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by David99, Jun 1, 2017.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

If you get your electricity from Southern California Edison and have an EV or even a plug in Hybrid, they give you a $450 credit. Don't have to buy a new one, even if you already own one or lease one.

Clean Fuel Rewards Program | SCE Clean Fuel Rewards Program

Application is pretty simple.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

I saw that recently as well. Any catches? I have solar and on NEM 1.0. Also, I'm not TOU. I also received a $2,500 rebate from CVRP when I bought my '75. I wonder if I would still qualify. I hate talking to Edison on the phone. It's worse than trying to understand or talk to a person at the DMV or IRS.

3. David99

David99 Active Member

I think it's independent of the other rebates. I just filled out my application and I'll see what I get (or not). I agree, there is no point in calling them. They are clueless.

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

Pretty much the only requirements are that you have an eligible vehicle, your DMV registration is paid up (not non-op or imminently due) and that the car is registered to the same address as a current SCE residential account. The names do not have to match. It does not matter what rate plan you're on.

5. AlfredoA

AlfredoA Member

I wonder if you have more then one qualified vehicle can you claim each as a rebate. In my case I have two.

6. Ampster

Ampster Member

Yes, I have three, and applied several days,ago.

7. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

You're right. Dead simple in fact. Thanks for inspiring me to do it. Just bought my CHAdeMO adapter :)

• Like x 1
  8. AlfredoA

AlfredoA Member

GREAT!!!!

9. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Those rebates will start going fast in a month when the M3s start hitting the street.

10. David99

David99 Active Member

It is just a credit to your SCE bill but that's still worth $450. I'm kind of surprised. I wonder of SCE gets some government money that they are passing on here.

11. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Guess I didn't read enough of the fine print. My bad. Hehe, my average electric bill runs $9/mo. Let's see; that's $450 over 50 months...... Oh well, I still needed the CHAdeMO.

• Funny x 2
  12. miimura

miimura Active Member

Yes, they are obligated by the PUC to pass out this money. It comes from the State LCFS program. The utilities get Low Carbon Fuel Standard credits because their customers are using electricity as a transportation fuel. They are not allowed to keep the value of those credits, so they must hand it out, one way or another. SCE proposed $450/vehicle, PG&E proposed $500/vehicle, SDG&E proposed $50/vehicle/year.

I don't know how SCE disburses the $450, but I got two paper checks from PG&E for $500. One for each of my EVs. Money in the bank, baby!

• Helpful x 1
  13. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

So I guess I'm confused. Is it a credit against future electric bills or is it a paper check? If I have to wait 50 months to recoup the $450, I'll be over 74 years old. I guess I can save my monthly credits and put a down payment on a walker.....

14. miimura

miimura Active Member

If it ends up as a credit on your bill, you should call and ask them to refund your "overpayment". :D

15. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

From Edison's website:

"When your application is approved, we will send your Clean Fuel rebate check to your mailing address on your application."

It's a check - not a credit :)

As a side note, if you sell your car, the buyer can also apply for a rebate through the year 2020.

Source: FAQs | SCE Clean Fuel Rewards Program

• Like x 1
  16. David99

David99 Active Member

Thanks @Sharkbait for the info. I didn't even look that close.

17. Leland

Leland Member

They are processing these fairly quickly. Applied 5/20 and received notification yesterday I was approved.

Attached Files:

18. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

I think they have slowed down. My application was uploaded on June 1st and I just received notification today the application was approved, five weeks later. Another month or two to get the check. I guess waiting for a check is better than not getting one at all.

19. bakerboy

bakerboy Member

06/09/17: Application submitted
    06/12/17: Email received that application was approved

Nothing received as of today.

20. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Hit or miss with SCE I guess. What is so unusual about an S75? Car registered to same home where the car is titled. Rather wait for them to reply than try and get to the right person on the telephone. Maybe it fell "between the cracks". Who knows? Just saying what my experience is.