Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE Rate Plans changing 3/1/19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very confusement.

We received today a sheet from our new electricity provider, CPA Clean Power Alliance, stating that they would pay us for any overage above $100, and to roll over lesser amounts to next year's bill.

What is going on in the Think Tanks at SCE? Switching from 45c a kW at 8 am to 6 pm (or whatever it is) TO 4 pm to 9 pm? Are they trying to tell the public that they have no F'ng idea how to price services?

I'm hopeful that, by the time they force all solar generators over to the new 4-9 (or whatever equivalent evil version of that plan) Tesla will have been able to support making the PowerWall more available than it has been, and hopefully a bit more affordable too, considering the install costs.

Side question: If I were to add a PowerWall to my home, what are the chances that SCE (or any other utility) would force you off your legacy/grandfathered plan? Has anyone been hearing anything yet? It may be too soon to tell, but I'm worried.

What is going on in the Think Tanks at SCE? Switching from 45c a kW at 8 am to 6 pm (or whatever it is) TO 4 pm to 9 pm? Are they trying to tell the public that they have no F'ng idea how to price services?
I think they are just trying to price power what it costs and encourage generation when power is needed and usage when there is more power available. Supply and demand. Regulations slow that down which is great for us with solar, because there is so much power available during the day power is worth less (if not worthless :) )

Once grandfathered plan is over, Powerwalls will be more cost effective, though tbd if they will make sense financially.

What utilities really need to do in order to support renewable energy is invest more in large scale energy storage - pumped water, thermal, battery, etc. otherwise it will become increasingly hard to manage the grid as more solar is added at a time when there is already a glut of power.

The new TOU Prime shows up on SCE TOU page now, but the Rate Comparison tool has not been updated to show it yet.

Looks like they are trying to HIDE this rate plan from normal consumers. I saw this note at the TOU page down at the bottom:

TOU-D-PRIME is open to all customers until April 30, 2019.

Beginning May 1, customers must attest to having an eligible technology: electric vehicle, storage system, and/or an electric heat pump system (for water and/or space heating) to receive service on this rate.

Last edited:
The new TOU Prime shows up on SCE TOU page now, but the Rate Comparison tool has not been updated to show it yet.

Looks like they are trying to HIDE this rate plan from normal consumers. I saw this note at the TOU page down at the bottom:
+1 Either an oversight or being deceptive. You be the judge.

Also noticed the details listed in the rate plan tabs for TOU-PRIME is a copy-n-paste of TOU-D-A; clearly not correct.

upload_2019-3-7_13-57-58.png upload_2019-3-7_13-55-10.png

+1 Either an oversight or being deceptive. You be the judge.

Also noticed the details listed in the rate plan tabs for TOU-PRIME is a copy-n-paste of TOU-D-A; clearly not correct.

View attachment 383983 View attachment 383982

Yup. That's when I scroll down to see the "real" Prime rate charts at the bottom of the page instead of inside the Tabbed area with the other rate. BTW, the chart was not like that a week ago. A few days ago when I looked at it, they removed all those obsolete rates and only have 4-9, 5-8, and Prime rates on there. And there was nothing about limited time to sign up for the Prime rate.

BTW, I am telling everyone I know on SCE to switch over to the Prime rate now. There is no reason to stay in the Tier rate unless you really only use electricity during the 4pm to 9pm. With the Prime rate, 19 out of the 24 hours in the day has a lower rate than the Tier 1 rate.

BTW, I am telling everyone I know on SCE to switch over to the Prime rate now. There is no reason to stay in the Tier rate unless you really only use electricity during the 4pm to 9pm. With the Prime rate, 19 out of the 24 hours in the day has a lower rate than the Tier 1 rate.
It's still a bit more expensive than the TOU-D-A plan for my usage (due to the daily charge versus the monthly baseline credit), but not by as much as the other new plans.

It's still a bit more expensive than the TOU-D-A plan for my usage (due to the daily charge versus the monthly baseline credit), but not by as much as the other new plans.
Are you on solar? If not, I'm surprised you're on TOU-D-A instead of TOU-D-B.

If your monthly consumption is over 700kWh then TOU-D-B will be cheaper. Most of us with EVs will be well over 700kWh/month. Perhaps you don't drive your EV a lot?

According to my own calculations, TOU-D-PRIME will actually be cheaper (than TOU-D-B) based on my current usage!

Note, this calculation was based on my SCE usage history prior to my adoption of EV and therefore needed a section to consider EV usage projection. Turns out the numbers came very close to my actual monthly cost since getting the Model 3 back in October. :)

Cost Calc 01.JPG
Cost Calc 02.JPG
Cost Calc 03.JPG
Cost Calc 04.JPG

Last edited:
Are you on solar? If not, I'm surprised you're on TOU-D-A instead of TOU-D-B.

If your monthly consumption is over 700kWh then TOU-D-B will be cheaper. Most of us with EVs will be well over 700kWh/month. Perhaps you don't drive your EV a lot?
I don't have solar, but I've checked the calculations for TOU-D-A versus TOU-D-B and the A plan always comes out ahead for my given usage. I drive less than I used to at my previous job, but even then when I was putting about 18k miles/year the bill was cheaper with TOU-D-A. I checked a summer bill and a winter bill, and they both come out to be about $15-20 more than TOU-D-A. Granted, with the new TOU-PRIME rate schedule, I'll actually use the AC during the day.

I don't have solar, but I've checked the calculations for TOU-D-A versus TOU-D-B and the A plan always comes out ahead for my given usage. I drive less than I used to at my previous job, but even then when I was putting about 18k miles/year the bill was cheaper with TOU-D-A. I checked a summer bill and a winter bill, and they both come out to be about $15-20 more than TOU-D-A. Granted, with the new TOU-PRIME rate schedule, I'll actually use the AC during the day.
Bravo! You must be a very efficient power consumer ... and I thought I was a power miser myself prior to EV adoption. :p

Prior to EV, I was consuming ~400kWh/month, which meant being on the Domestic tier rate worked out great for me. Post-EV, it's now over 1000kWh/month and the need for TOU.

upload_2019-3-7_16-5-13.png

Just curious, what is your average monthly consumption (kWh) with EVs?

Did they change the rates of the original TOU-D-B plan? According to the website (and attached) looks like super off peak dropped to 10 cents? Is that right?
Fascinating. That certainly wasn't the case before, which were $0.12/$0.13 for summer and winter respectively. In fact, the on-peak and off-peak rates are also appeared cheaper. If true I'd certainly stick to TOU-D-B until grandfather expires in July 2022. Somehow, you won't find me holding my breath in the meantime.

Last edited:
And just like that (a mere hour later), SCE has updated the TOU website to correctly show the current TOU rate plans. Legacy TOU plan has been removed. One could have sworn someone from SCE is following this thread. :D

What the hack is up with SCE? Changing their price so often and without warning. Misinformation about products... who do they think they are? Tesla?? :D

• Funny
Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
SCE's Rate Comparison Tool STILL doesn't show TOU-D-PRIME to compare to our current TOU-D-B-SDP rate.

Our situation is unique since we:
  • live near the coast
  • rarely use our AC
  • charge our Tesla during Super Off Peak (10PM to 8AM)
  • don't have solar since our:
    • minimal AC / On-Peak usage makes solar difficult to justify (LONG R.O.I.)
    • fragile Spanish tile roof makes installation MUCH more expensive (most solar companies won't even quote)
    • roof and house are only 10 years old
    • roof almost completely faces due South (not ideal for solar production during 4PM to 9PM On-Peak of TOU-D-B
    • SCE bill is significantly LESS in the summer since we have FOUR AC units on SCE's Summer Discount Plan