Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE Rate Plans changing 3/1/19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating on whether or not to add a bit more solar to my existing setup this year (still 26% credit).

We do have an EV and 2x Powerwalls already.

When I get pushed off of TOU-D-A my rates will jump quite a bit per year:

Screenshot from 2020-03-09 16-43-40.png

I'm debating on whether or not to add a bit more solar to my existing setup this year (still 26% credit).

We do have an EV and 2x Powerwalls already.

When I get pushed off of TOU-D-A my rates will jump quite a bit per year:

View attachment 520059

Thanks for sharing this. I don't have solar but want to learn more before I go all in. From this it looks like it's not worth it with TOU-Prime. Does this mean your current solar only gets $122 credit a year? You will need to 5x your solar system to just get where you are now.

Here is my plan without solar. Seems like it won't drop much if I get solar on this plan once my tou-a is over.

Screenshot_20200309-222557_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
@cr0ntab how big is your system currently? I have a 40 panels 12kw system and my current TOU-D-A is $300 something a year. My new rates would be $1000 to $1200 a year very similar to yours. However, my current energy credit is over -$1600 which is $1000 more than yours. So I am thinking, adding more panels won't get your a much cheaper rates after the switch.

• Informative
Reactions: sperkin
@cr0ntab how big is your system currently? I have a 40 panels 12kw system and my current TOU-D-A is $300 something a year. My new rates would be $1000 to $1200 a year very similar to yours. However, my current energy credit is over -$1600 which is $1000 more than yours. So I am thinking, adding more panels won't get your a much cheaper rates after the switch.

I have a 10.89 kW DC system. (33x 330W panels)

I'm not sure how SCE calculates these values, as my current bills show that I actually don't have any energy credits.

My guess is that it goes off of a full year TOU cycle.

My current cycle ends in June, so we'll see if the numbers drastically change.

I have a 10.89 kW DC system. (33x 330W panels)

I'm not sure how SCE calculates these values, as my current bills show that I actually don't have any energy credits.

My guess is that it goes off of a full year TOU cycle.

My current cycle ends in June, so we'll see if the numbers drastically change.

Yes, I believe that credit number is the credit for the full year. I remember last year (ended around Sept 2019) I got about $1800 credit and that's including the 13th month I think.

I am currently grandfathered into the TOU-D-A rate plan, which seems to be a great plan for solar customers as the on-peak time is between 2pm-8pm, as opposed to the newer TOU plans that have peak times starting at 4/5pm. I just placed the order for Tesla Solar +PowerWall and would like to know if I can stay on my current TOU plan, or if SCE will force-convert me into the newer plans? I am hoping they let me stay on TOU-D-A until the 2022 sunset date.

I am currently grandfathered into the TOU-D-A rate plan, which seems to be a great plan for solar customers as the on-peak time is between 2pm-8pm, as opposed to the newer TOU plans that have peak times starting at 4/5pm. I just placed the order for Tesla Solar +PowerWall and would like to know if I can stay on my current TOU plan, or if SCE will force-convert me into the newer plans? I am hoping they let me stay on TOU-D-A until the 2022 sunset date.

You will be forced to switch to the new TOU rate plans once you get PTO (Permission To Operate) for your new system. Since you are getting Powerwalls, the TOU-D-PRIME rate will be the best choice for you.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
You will be forced to switch to the new TOU rate plans once you get PTO (Permission To Operate) for your new system. Since you are getting Powerwalls, the TOU-D-PRIME rate will be the best choice for you.
Thank you for your insight. I am having second thoughts/doubts about how much this will help me reduce my monthly SCE bill (12 month average of $135, ranging between $900-$220). How effective will my 4.08 kW panels + 1 powerwall system be? Can the panels fully charge the PW every day and still be able to power the house (or feed to the grid)? Also, during the peak rate time, can the PW use its 13.5kWh to power the house AND also feed to the grid to make use of the peak rates? Is there an online calculator that can help me learn more and find that sweet spot for my home? Maybe I need to add 1 or 2 panels to get there, but I have now way to know that now. I have received Telsa's layout document but I am sitting on it for now.

Help please!

Go to PVWatts and enter your panel info to see production numbers.

4kW is relatively small, so it probably won't cover your daily usage. But if it covers your peak usage, then that is okay. The batteries charge during the morning when rates are low, then offset all your house usage during the 4-9pm peak. You can't export battery power to the grid, only offset your usage. Look at your peak usage on the SCE site, and compare it to PVWatts to see if it will work for you. One Powerwall should be enough, and with only 4kW of solar, that's about all you will be able to charge up anyway. Once the batteries are full, excess solar can export to the grid for Net Metering credits.

Good to know. I guess the difference is solar generation sell-back. The more expensive rate during peak solar generation hour actually works in your favor?
Yep. The nice part is during summer with expensive rates I generate .75c per kw from 2-5pm. Then at night I charge for just .19c/kw and get three for one (generate one kw during peak and use three during super off peak for charging and practically break even). Only cost are the NBC’s which so far has been about $10 a month.