TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SCE Rates Too High

Discussion in 'California' started by Pantera Dude, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Being a new owner of an electric vehicle, I am surprised at how much it costs to charge it. With the standard rates, my electric car pushes me up into the tier 5 range which costs 36 cents per kwh. The time of use plan looks pretty good until you see the on peak summer rate of 55 cents per kwh! Of course that is when I run my AC, so if I run my AC long enough, my bill would be higher than the nomal rate! That does not seem right! Edison's second meter option sounds good until you go to have the second meter installed. My electrician wants $1200 to do the job, that would take years before I come out ahead. I don't understand why Edison will not allow us to splice a new meter into the line that charges my car? This policy discourages electric car use! Can someone tell me where to start filing my complaints?

Thank you

2. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

If you have a medical condition that necessitates the use of equipment that runs off electricity at home, i.e., sleep apnea requiring CPAP, you can get a medical baseline adjustment.

Up here in northern California, with PG&E, it's an additional 500kWh added to your baseline, that means you wouldn't hit Tier 2 until about 850kWh per month.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

4. Ardie

Ardie Member

Pantera Dude,

I am on the single-meter Time-Of-Use plan (TOU-D-T) with SCE, and it has been working out okay for me. (peak and off-peak rates, summer and winter pricing. Baseline level I and level II price tiers). I've been driving a BMW ActiveE for the past year, but I'm waiting to see the BMW i3 when it rolls out this September '13 before I pull the trigger one way (Tesla Model S) or another (BMW i3).

I think that the TOU-D-T plan is a reasonable rate structure for those of us with electric cars, but if you want to save more, then its probably time to look at solar panels.

-- Ardie
    It almost makes up for my daughter leaving her radiator heater on day and night.

5. strider

strider Active Member

If you own your home I'll second the solar reco. You don't have to blanket your roof, you can just get enough to cover the A/C during the heat of the day and to keep you out of the top tiers.

That being said, for me, even without solar it's a lot cheaper than gas.

6. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Thanks guys. It looks like it's time to start doing my homework!

7. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Solar cells!!!!!!!!!!!! Install it now.