Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE: TOU-D 4-9pm or TOU-D Prime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My work offers level 2 charging at work for $.20/kWh. I am currently on tou 4-9 and charge daily. I was thinking about switching over to prime, but thought of sticking to tou 4-9 and charging at work when I am over for the month. That should be the most cost effective way for me right?

I have an existing 10kw solar system. I am about 75% complete on 3rd party install of 2 PW2s (per SGIP equity/resiliency program for fire zone + med baseline). I recently acquired a Tesla. I am also on Clean Power Alliance.

I have been on TOU-D-B (peak hrs 2-8pm) for several years but SCE is forcing me off it. I received a letter from SCE that they will switch me over to TOU-D-4-9pm starting in December. I am currently a net generator but that is without the Tesla. Dollar wise, between SCE and CPA, they have wiped out close to $1,000 in credit balance at true-up each of the past 2 years.

If I were able to keep my existing TOU plan and wasn't adding PWs, I am pretty sure the Tesla would use up most, if not all, of my credit balance. But, with the added complexity of 2 PWs, Tesla and changing TOU plan, it isn't clear to me what the optimal TOU plan would be going forward.

It probably comes down to the TOU-D-4-9pm or the TOU-D-Prime. But, which and why? Recommendations please???

I have an existing 10kw solar system. I am about 75% complete on 3rd party install of 2 PW2s (per SGIP equity/resiliency program for fire zone + med baseline). I recently acquired a Tesla. I am also on Clean Power Alliance.

I have been on TOU-D-B (peak hrs 2-8pm) for several years but SCE is forcing me off it. I received a letter from SCE that they will switch me over to TOU-D-4-9pm starting in December. I am currently a net generator but that is without the Tesla. Dollar wise, between SCE and CPA, they have wiped out close to $1,000 in credit balance at true-up each of the past 2 years.

If I were able to keep my existing TOU plan and wasn't adding PWs, I am pretty sure the Tesla would use up most, if not all, of my credit balance. But, with the added complexity of 2 PWs, Tesla and changing TOU plan, it isn't clear to me what the optimal TOU plan would be going forward.

It probably comes down to the TOU-D-4-9pm or the TOU-D-Prime. But, which and why? Recommendations please???
How much of a net generator are you now and how much do you expect to drive the Tesla and what model is it? If the new car changes you over to a net consumer and your net consumption is over 3-4 kWh/day then TOU-D-Prime is probably better. Else TOU-D-4-9pm is probably better with the lower daily charge but higher off peak rates.

I'm in my first year (Month 10) so I haven't had my true up yet but it looks like I'll be pretty close to net 0 ± 200 kWh. I would probably be better off on TOU-D-4-9pm, but I'm on TOU-D-Prime. I was on Prime prior to my solar and PW install and decided to remain on it for now since I didn't quite know where I would end up after the first year and I was a little worried if my system went down it might take a couple of months for Tesla to fix it during which time I would rack up a lot of off peak usage.

Well, I guess this is finally happening.

The price increase is quite a bit, so I'll have to see what the best new configuration is for my power walls.

I just got this notice today from SCE:

Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 3.54.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 3.54.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Well, I guess this is finally happening.

The price increase is quite a bit, so I'll have to see what the best new configuration is for my power walls.

I just got this notice today from SCE:

View attachment 961502
View attachment 961501
Might want to block out your name...

I had this happen last year, and switched to TOU-D-Prime. With the proper PW TOU settings, my bill is only slightly more than my TOU-D-A bill (annually) so don't rely on their comparison. I will say that I did extensive modeling of the rates, and both 4-9PM and 5-8PM were worse than Prime. The nearly all day super-off-peak 26¢/kWh really helps with EV charging and AC usage. If you can export all your PW during peak it will offset your bill.

I had this happen last year, and switched to TOU-D-Prime. With the proper PW TOU settings, my bill is only slightly more than my TOU-D-A bill (annually) so don't rely on their comparison. I will say that I did extensive modeling of the rates, and both 4-9PM and 5-8PM were worse than Prime. The nearly all day super-off-peak 26¢/kWh really helps with EV charging and AC usage. If you can export all your PW during peak it will offset your bill.

Good call thanks, I thought I had cut out all the PII :O

That's reassuring, I certainly have enough storage that I can export during peak.

Are you concerned at all with constant daily cycling the power wall to dump the power back into the grid during peak? What size PV system and what does your PW configuration look like?

I'm on NEM 2 (since Dec-2017) and being forced off of TOU-D-A in October. Trying to figure out my options and if a PW investment would be worth while now. If I did install a PW would that force me onto NEM 3?

Are you concerned at all with constant daily cycling the power wall to dump the power back into the grid during peak? What size PV system and what does your PW configuration look like?

I'm on NEM 2 (since Dec-2017) and being forced off of TOU-D-A in October. Trying to figure out my options and if a PW investment would be worth while now. If I did install a PW would that force me onto NEM 3?
The Powerwall is rated for a full charge/discharge cycle every day for 10 years with a 70% capacity at 10 years. Does this increase stress and component wear over a 50% cycle, probably.

Installing ESS does not impact NEM 2.0 status, adding more PV may impact your status depending on how much is added