Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE TOU Prime - Does it require panel upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere a while ago that if I want to switch my SCE TOU-D-4-9PM to TOU-D-Prime, SCE requires that I have to get a panel upgrade to 200 amp service? Can anyone who has switched to Prime, can confirm this? I currently have 100 amp service and to do an upgrade will cost a lot of money since the wire from the street to my panel is only rated for 100 amps.

I read somewhere a while ago that if I want to switch my SCE TOU-D-4-9PM to TOU-D-Prime, SCE requires that I have to get a panel upgrade to 200 amp service? Can anyone who has switched to Prime, can confirm this? I currently have 100 amp service and to do an upgrade will cost a lot of money since the wire from the street to my panel is only rated for 100 amps.

I don't see the rationale for it and I doubt that is the policy.

I personally called and talked to an SCE person on the phone to switch from tiered rate plan to TOU-D-Prime for my apartment with a 60-ampere service and it went through fine.

Perhaps you could link to where you read that? I have never seen or read such a stipulation, but will not pretend that I have seen everything. The stipulations for using TOU Prime that I am aware of are:

1. Owning or leasing an EV / Plug in Hybrid vehicle
2. Having battery storage
3. having a heat pump for water or space heating

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.16.04 AM.png

I have never seen any sort of stipulation about service upgrades, and do not see how that would be a stipulation from the utility.

i have switched to prime from an older non tou and then to 4-9 with sce no mention of any panel specs .. prime does require you have a battery or a plug in car or one of many other qualifying items ... oops as i just noticed @jjrandorin listed in more detail .. .....although sce never asked me for proof (car only at time so had no paperwork such as PTO with them)
i believe prime or some other plan(s) you are req to stay on for 1 year .. and prime did not offer some type of "bill protection" .. but this is all from memory and im too lazy to surf over to sce website 😝
how did i miss all the links in post above .. man im tired
ok i am amending my post to "see above post" 😒

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys, going to switch to Prime. I have Solar but I am no longer a net generator after I got my Y. So I think Prime would be much better.

I am still on an old tiered rate, and am holding onto it for dear life. ANY Time of use rate plan would cost me over close to a thousand dollars a year more (which is why they no longer allow these tiered rates and NEM 1).