TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Scenic Drives NH

Discussion in 'New England' started by JATinNH, Mar 28, 2020.

1. JATinNH

JATinNH Member

Anyone have any good ideas or resources to plan day or half day scenic drives in NH? Found a couple sites online but there may be some routes you’ve discovered. These days, it’s nice to get out of even just for a drive. I’ve just about carved a groove in the coastal route between Portsmouth down through Hampton Beach, Ipswich, and to Rockport and Gloucester...I’ve done that route so many times.

2. tga

tga Supporting Member

Mt Washington? There are 3 charging stations at the base.

• Like x 2
  3. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The Kanc.

• Like x 4
  4. tga

tga Supporting Member

Forgot about that one. Supercharger at the west end (Loon), one planned (for a while now) at the east (North Conway).

5. Driver Dave

Driver Dave Member

Going the other direction north is nice to Maine coast to Kennebunk Port and back.

• Like x 1
  6. boxer93

boxer93 Member

You could try going west on 111 and hook up with 101 go through Milford, Temple and maybe Peterborough. Maybe see if Cathedral of the pines is open. (Or drive through the parking lot). I figure about 110 mile round trip. Even with heat on should be doable without charging if you leave home with a 90% battery.

• Like x 1
  7. Potatoee

Potatoee Member

More and more often, I skip across the border and wander around Woodstock VT.

• Like x 2
  8. JATinNH

JATinNH Member

Tried this route last week... nice drive. Some beautiful spots along the way driving next to streams and rivers and a few waterfalls too. Thx.

upload_2020-4-28_8-35-33.jpeg

• Like x 1
  9. boxer93

boxer93 Member

JATinNH, nice to hear. When things open up the hike up to Pack Monadnock is decent.

10. I'm_Jp

I'm_Jp Member

I would like to take a drive with my wife on the kanc, from northern mass.
    I think that I can work out the charging. I can work out the packed lunch, drinks.

How are the restroom facilities ? Any on the kanc ? Public toilets in Conway ?

How about on the 302 just north of the kanc (restrooms)?

What's the situation on rt 93 to get there, normal state highway stuff ?

11. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

#11 RiverBrick, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    The hotel/condo which hosts the Superchargers in Lincoln has restrooms off the lobby. Other than that, all public restrooms in the area are still closed afaik. All restrooms, visitor centers, porta-potties and outhouses in the White Mountain National Forest are closed currently.

Also, take heed of the "no gas for 32 miles" warning on the Kanc. :)

• Like x 1
  12. I'm_Jp

I'm_Jp Member

Ha Ha Sc coming soon in North Conway NH, since 2014

13. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

Supermarkets are a good bet for bathrooms these days. As @RiverBrick said, the hotel at the supercharger is open and available with restrooms. There is a Hannaford in Conway to use as a mid-way bathroom/food stop. A few Tesla owners did this loop a few weeks ago for a meetup (socially distanced of course) starting and ending at the Lincoln Supercharger.

Edit: Hookset rest plaza north and south are both open for bathrooms, and I believe limited food although I was not looking for the later while there.

upload_2020-5-3_10-41-17.png

• Like x 2
  14. Tdreamer

While at the Hannaford in Conway 2 weeks ago we definitely had the construction radar going at full power - no signs of anything.

• Like x 1
  15. I'm_Jp

I'm_Jp Member

That's the route I was thinking of.
    Anytime I got a new vehicle, I took it on that route to see how it felt (for the past 30 years).

My decision to do this will depend on my wife's comfort level doing this during a pandemic

Thanks for the insight.

16. Tdreamer

Enjoy the drive - it was beautiful, and more importantly, it was great to get out of the house. As you are just driving, with stops to charge and bio which can easily be dealt with using a glove (to charge) - or just sanitizing hands afterwards - it's probably about as safe as you get vs. staying at home.

17. JWardell

JWardell Member

If you're driving the Kanc, don't miss the turn onto Bear Notch Road if it's open in season, the curves are a big hoot and you skip the boring end where the rangers run radar.
    Also a quick run up Hurricane Mountain Road in North Conway.

Of course none of these compare to driving up the Mount Washington Auto Road with no traffic in front of you!

• Love x 1