Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule battle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, first post :) looking forward to contributing something useful to the forum one day! We’ve just taken delivery of our AWD model 3 and still trying to get my head around charging.. I suspect i‘ll regret asking such a newbie question in years to come but right now im struggling !

so we have an ohme wall charger and you can set it to schedule times etc as you’d expect
but of course the Tesla itself has its departure / charge setting - I don’t see a way to disable both options.

what Im struggling to comprehend is the combination of these 2 together. presumably it’d be easy to set it up such as the two conflict and you end up with a mess (which I think I have right now). The Tesla might want to draw power but the charger is not yet set to supply it, but then the charger may come on and confuse the Tesla’s assumptions

do most people ignore the chargers settings and use the Tesla to choose OR the other way around? If the latter what do you set the Tesla app to?

if this question doesn’t make sense I fear I fundamentally don’t understand the whole thing !!

thanks

Both in car settings can be ignored. I’d use the Ohme setting.
you can start a charge or set a departure but not both.
if you don’t set them, they don’t operate. You can test this by plugging the car in and if it charges straight away, they aren’t set
i never use them. I use my Zappi for timed charges
PS hope you enjoy the car!

Personally, I forget about the Tesla scheduling option and only use the Ohme app. It can be a bit problematic at times and I sometimes find the car charging when I haven't asked for it but the car let's me know when its started and stopped charging. So it usually only 5 mins or so of unscheduled charge. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

You read a lot about people setting charge times for overnight charging, but that only affects people who are on a supply deal with their distribution operator. If you are not on a deal, such as Octopus, then it does not matter so charge whenever you like. Using non-peak hours might be good for the grid and the environment but makes no difference to your costs.

I am in that position, so have never worried about a delayed setting and just plug in whenever I need to.

The advice above about ignoring the car and using your smart charger is good advice.

I suspect that you might want to use the car departure timing in winter to get it ready if you have a regular or known start time as it can use the grid power rather than your battery to get things ready.

Leeh, it’s probably worth pointing out if you’re new to the car that you have arrived at the very point where there’s some anomalies in the Tesla app which have literally appeared in the last week or two for scheduling. Some long term owners are scratching their heads even without an Ohme charger because of these changes. Perhaps worth explaining what I used to do and then why I use the term ‘anomalies’.

i have a Tesla WallConnector which is as dumb as a bag of rocks so I’ve never set anything on it hence this is purely the car and Tesla app. Until recently you could only set scheduled charging in the car. The only thing you could do in the app was to start of stop the charge. So I had both our cars (Model S and Model 3) set to start charging at 1.30am which is when our Go Faster window starts. I just plugged in of them in anytime of day and at 1.20am they’d start charging. Never failed to charge so life was good. This was my failsafe approach for 2 years. If I’d had an Ohm or something I would have at least known where I was and could mess about with scheduled charging in the car set to ‘off’ and away we go.

But the new app features with scheduled charging and scheduled departure have been a little weird and I found that at one point this week the Model 3 started charging at midnight. I must have been browsing around the new bits of the app and the midnight default on the app was taking precedence over the settings in the car. I corrected it and it worked fine. Bear in mind I was away this week in a hire van so the cars were at home on the drive. following night the 3 charged at 1.30am as required. But the S, despite being live in the app, wouldnt let me set the scheduling which was weird because, although it wasn’t plugged in, I thought it would still let me, the same way it would on the car screen. I haven’t quite worked out what the priorities are or how I managed to screw up the setting without sitting in the car with the app and trying it. I’m back now and I’ll investigate a little more.

the reason I’m telling you this rather lengthy diatribe is because if you’re trying to work out the Ohm settings, you might end up not being sure where you are with them because the car is doing odd stuff too if you’ve been clicking around. there‘s no confirm button in the app which I think is where I’ve messed it up pressing stuff and thinking it wasn’t active. I’d stay away from it in the app and set it to ‘off’ in the car and leave the Tesla app alone or you might be chasing your tail. I’m home now (literally an hour ago) I’ll play with the car and settings to see what Ive been doing wrong even with just a dumb charger.

hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
If the tesla tries to request charge and the wall box isn’t scheduled, it won’t send it. Tesla won’t get confused. But yes you could end up with no charging if you’re not careful

Question with preconditioning - with cold nights now here, I want to precondition to warm/defrost the car before I get in. I’m on a zappi timed to only charge during octopus go hours. So at 6am it won’t be charging. How will the car deal with that if I want to precondition?

So far I‘ve only had to warm the car when it wasn’t plugged in (normally charge once a week), so that was fine.

I've got the Ohme charger, I use the Ohme app to control the charging schedules (00:30-04:30 on Octopus Go) then use the Tesla app to preheat on its schedule (06:30 on weekdays for example this week), it does draw the power from the battery rather than the mains to preheat, but for the distance I cover day to day I don't miss the 3-5% battery used to preheat.

Reactions: Jason71 and niiru
But the S, despite being live in the app, wouldnt let me set the scheduling which was weird because, although it wasn’t plugged in,
My experience of Scheduling charging in the App. Is that changes in the App are only applied if the car is plugged in at the time.

I am sticking with the tried and tested option of setting the Car (using the screen not the App) to begin charging at 0030 (when Octopus GO kicks in for me) and not touching the settings in the App. I also set the charge % to be whatever 28Kw will add in the Octopus Go Hours.

In summary, charging schedules can get complicated and conflicted. Keep It Simple and it might just work

My experience of Scheduling charging in the App. Is that changes in the App are only applied if the car is plugged in at the time.

I am sticking with the tried and tested option of setting the Car (using the screen not the App) to begin charging at 0030 (when Octopus GO kicks in for me) and not touching the settings in the App. I also set the charge % to be whatever 28Kw will add in the Octopus Go Hours.

In summary, charging schedules can get complicated and conflicted. Keep It Simple and it might just work
Very much so. I made the mistake of fiddling about with 2 cars, a new app and some new features while 150miles away from the cars. I wouldn’t advise anyone else to do that so I have no idea why I let myself do it!

i agree about not being able to set anything on a car that isn’t connected. But I think you have to be careful not to dive into any of the screens when a car IS connected too. With no confirm button, it would seem it’s rather easy to change your scheduled charge time by accident.

i need to sit and have a play now I’m home. I hope the endless requests from people who NEED to have something new all the time doesn’t mean we end up with an overly layered and complicated app. Shifting some stuff to and advanced section and leaving the basics alone might be good. Whilst it’s not a bad app, it’s not as screamingly obvious (especially to new users) exactly what you’re doing or what you’ve done.

Reactions: Adopado
When I want to be sure that a top up finishes towards the end of my Go Faster period (02.30-06.30) I check by manually doing a 'Fast' charge in the Zappi app at some point the previous day & check on the Tesla app how long until the required SOC is going to be achieved.

This takes literally seconds so by resetting the Zappi app to Eco+ the charge stops & I then set a scheduled start time within the 4 hr window that coincides with a 6.15 finish time based on the above. It has worked every time.

Probably OCD & a bit miserly but on cold mornings I prefer to have the car warmed from the mains rather than its batteries & everything falls within the 4 hour 5p period (I leave the house at 6.30 on at least four mornings a week so manually turn on climate 10 mins before leaving).

All charging and scheduling is done via the Zappi app.

We are lucky with our Teslas. I also have a Smart EQ ForTwo, and it is impossible to deliver a fixed amount of charge or charge during my Octopus GO period unless I set both car and charger to basic mode and control the time the charge is provided with my 63A wi-fi relay to allow charge during a set period in the cheap GO period.