TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Schedule Charge Issue - Clicking

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Ojas Ray, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

Hello,
    Since I took delivery of the car last Thursday, I always have scheduled a charge for 3am. Using a Tesla's HP Wall Connector - but for some reason, when I woke up this morning to preheat - the car was not charged. I went to the car, and it was making some sort of Clicking noise.....by the charge port.
    I opened the front driver side door, and the car began to charge... i didn't do anything else....
    What could be the issue???

2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Hmm. almost sounds like the HV battery contactor wasn't closing from the charge request but did from the door request. Very strange. Have you tried charging again since?

3. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

Yes - when i opened the driver side door and it began charging immediately... so tad baffled...

4. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Well the contactor closes (makes contact) when you open the door on Teslas and it's supposed to close when you initiate charging as well. Perhaps whatever gives the signal to close the contactor when charging isn't sending the signal on your car? Does this happen consistently or just the one time? If consistent, did you try a different charging station? Perhaps something is wrong with your EVSA or connector on it.

5. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

First time

6. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

The older UMCs often developed a clicking issue. I think it was the button on the charge-cable-end making partial contact when not being pressed.
    I haven't heard/read about the issue in a long time, and I don't remember hearing about it with a wall connector, but it's one possibility.
    Doesn't explain the door event though.

7. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

I contacted Tesla - they are sending my logs to a Sr. Technician to see whats up...

8. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

clicking like maybe the locking mechanism for the charge handle. the opening of the door allowed it to lock onto the charger okaying the charging to start?