Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule Charge Start Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few years ago there was an option to schedule my Model S to start charging each day at a specific time but I can’t find this option anywhere in my Model Y. Has this feature been removed or is there a 3rd party app that can do this?

Ideally, I’d like to set a daily schedule for my car to start charging at 2:00am.

A few years ago there was an option to schedule my Model S to start charging each day at a specific time but I can’t find this option anywhere in my Model Y. Has this feature been removed or is there a 3rd party app that can do this?

Ideally, I’d like to set a daily schedule for my car to start charging at 2:00am.
Try the app launcher. Select charging. It should be there.

It's still there in all the cars, and it is the easiest way to set up charging, but Tesla has been terrible with making the user interface really confusing with the naming and labeling and what's in it. They were hiding that under the option that was specifically named with something like "departure" or something like that, which didn't seem to be talking about a start time. But it's on the charging screen somewhere down in that setting.

Tesla recently changed the Charging options and it is very confusing. First, Tesla added a new capability called Scheduled Charging. Scheduled Charging enables you to start charging at a certain time (Scheduled Charging is perhaps most useful if the start time coincides with the beginning of an off-peak rate charging window.) With Schedule Charging you can enter the time when the Tesla Model Y will begin charging.

Next there is Scheduled Departure. This option was already available. What has changed is that you can now specify when the off-peak charging window ends (previously this was hard coded at 0600, your time.) If your off-peak charging window ends at 0700 you can set Tesla Scheduled Departure so that the Tesla Model Y will always finish charging before the end of the off-peak charging rate window. (This is more about being a responsible EV driver, not burdening the electric grid with EV charging during peak usage periods but it can also save you money if you have a time of use (TOU) rate plan in effect at home.)

If you use Scheduled Departure feature you can specify whether the Tesla will precondition the vehicle before you drive. You can specify whether the preconditioning happens every day or only on weekdays (this assumes you commute Monday through Friday.) If you leave your house every day, i.e. at 0730 the Tesla will automatically be preconditioned. In colder weather the Model Y will start preconditioning ~30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. A new feature is that you can schedule preconditioning whether or not the Model Y is plugged in.

The fun starts when you try and find these options. From the Charging Screen you can select Scheduled Charging, however from the charging icon on the left side of the Tesla status screen you won't see Scheduled Charging by default, you only see the option for Scheduled Departure. If you tap below the elongated button that is labeled Scheduled Departure where is reads tap switch to set Scheduled Charging this will toggle to the Scheduled Charging options. Also, if you want to use Scheduled Charging or Scheduled Departure after you have to set the time you also have to tap the elongated button so that it turns blue, else charging will start immediately as soon as you plug in the charging cable.

Finally, when using the Tesla app you can't set the Scheduled Charging time or the Scheduled Departure time or whether or not preconditioning will automatically start (you can manually start or stop preconditioning from the app.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: iustin and Rocky_H
The Tesla Scheduled Charging / Delayed Charging settings are still easier to navigate that the settings in a Chevrolet Volt. With the Volt, to use off-peak charging with a TOU rate plan you had to enter your off-peak, mid-peak and peak electric rate windows for each day of the week. The Volt would calculate when charging was least expensive. The only simple setting was Delayed Charging to start after a specific time.

Tesla recently changed the Charging options and it is very confusing. First, Tesla added a new capability called Scheduled Charging. Scheduled Charging enables you to start charging at a certain time (Scheduled Charging is perhaps most useful if the start time coincides with the beginning of an off-peak rate charging window.) With Schedule Charging you can enter the time when the Tesla Model Y will begin charging.

Next there is Scheduled Departure. This option was already available. What has changed is that you can now specify when the off-peak charging window ends (previously this was hard coded at 0600, your time.) If your off-peak charging window ends at 0700 you can set Tesla Scheduled Departure so that the Tesla Model Y will always finish charging before the end of the off-peak charging rate window. (This is more about being a responsible EV driver, not burdening the electric grid with EV charging during peak usage periods but it can also save you money if you have a time of use (TOU) rate plan in effect at home.)

If you use Scheduled Departure feature you can specify whether the Tesla will precondition the vehicle before you drive. You can specify whether the preconditioning happens every day or only on weekdays (this assumes you commute Monday through Friday.) If you leave your house every day, i.e. at 0730 the Tesla will automatically be preconditioned. In colder weather the Model Y will start preconditioning ~30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. A new feature is that you can schedule preconditioning whether or not the Model Y is plugged in.

The fun starts when you try and find these options. From the Charging Screen you can select Scheduled Charging, however from the charging icon on the left side of the Tesla status screen you won't see Scheduled Charging by default, you only see the option for Scheduled Departure. If you tap below the elongated button that is labeled Scheduled Departure where is reads tap switch to set Scheduled Charging this will toggle to the Scheduled Charging options. Also, if you want to use Scheduled Charging or Scheduled Departure after you have to set the time you also have to tap the elongated button so that it turns blue, else charging will start immediately as soon as you plug in the charging cable.

Finally, when using the Tesla app you can't set the Scheduled Charging time or the Scheduled Departure time or whether or not preconditioning will automatically start (you can manually start or stop preconditioning from the app.)

Thanks a bunch, I was able to find and enable!!!!!

Reactions: Rocky_H and bobby g
One more item to add - if you use Scheduled Departure but deselect Off-Peak because you don't have TOU rates, charging will start as soon as you connect the cable. This might not be desirable in winter, because any battery heating that occurs during charging will subsequently be dissipated externally during the night. If you want to delay charging so it completes at your scheduled departure time, select Off-Peak but set the end time later than your departure time.

One more item to add - if you use Scheduled Departure but deselect Off-Peak because you don't have TOU rates, charging will start as soon as you connect the cable. This might not be desirable in winter, because any battery heating that occurs during charging will subsequently be dissipated externally during the night. If you want to delay charging so it completes at your scheduled departure time, select Off-Peak but set the end time later than your departure time.
If you set the off-peak window to be more than 30 minutes after you planned departure time then charging will most likely not have completed by the time you want to depart. In my experience the Tesla delayed charging program will usually complete 15 to 30 minutes sooner than the end of the off-peak window to avoid charging during the peak rate time.