Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule Charge, What am I doing wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Llama.

Lurking somewhere up North
Jan 25, 2021
Who knows?
Hello all

Sorry for noob question. I can’t seem to find the answer in other posts

So I’m using scheduled charge on my MIC M3 along with my Zappi.

I wanted to leave this morning at 10.00 with a 100% charge.

I scheduled this on the touchscreen and my Zappi displayed waiting for EV. Tesla app showed the correct departure time.

All seems good. Went to bed with car at 78% SOC.

Woke up this AM with Tesla app message saying charge had completed to 100% at 5.34 AM.

Granted my Zappi was set to fast charge (7.4 kw), but I was expecting the Tesla to see this potential rate of charge and hold back until the charge could be completed at the scheduled departure time.

Now my Tesla is sitting around for 4 hours at 100% charge.

What have I done wrong here?

And how bad is it for my car to sit at 100% for 4 hours?

Hello all

Sorry for noob question. I can’t seem to find the answer in other posts

So I’m using scheduled charge on my MIC M3 along with my Zappi.

I wanted to leave this morning at 10.00 with a 100% charge.

I scheduled this on the touchscreen and my Zappi displayed waiting for EV. Tesla app showed the correct departure time.

All seems good. Went to bed with car at 78% SOC.

Woke up this AM with Tesla app message saying charge had completed to 100% at 5.34 AM.

Granted my Zappi was set to fast charge (7.4 kw), but I was expecting the Tesla to see this potential rate of charge and hold back until the charge could be completed at the scheduled departure time.

Now my Tesla is sitting around for 4 hours at 100% charge.

What have I done wrong here?

And how bad is it for my car to sit at 100% for 4 hours?
4hours at 100% no problem. The occasional longer period will do no harm either

it’ll be fine at 100%. Firstly its a MIC car which they’ve said is totally fine to charge to 100% regularly. Secondly even if it wasn’t, if you’re going on a trip charging to 100% is fine. Just recommended not to do it every day.

The trick is to set the end of off-peak to your time of scheduled departure. Though be careful restoring UI afterwards as the blue/grey button state needs to be toggled, as well as switching back to Scheduled Charging view.

A few hours at 100% if the pack isn't too hot won't be too bad.

it’ll be fine at 100%. Firstly its a MIC car which they’ve said is totally fine to charge to 100% regularly. Secondly even if it wasn’t, if you’re going on a trip charging to 100% is fine. Just recommended not to do it every day.
It’s a LR Model 3, rather SR+ which you can leave charged to 100%, so not the one with the LFP battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrklaw
It’s a LR Model 3, rather SR+ which you can leave charged to 100%, so not the one with the LFP battery.

That's worth pointing out but you are still OK with 100% ... just not as a regular pattern of charging. Though most people would aim to leave soon when charging to 100% a few hours sitting at 100% won't have any impact if it's once in a blue moon. The abuse that some battery packs have endured and have emerged unscathed is quite remarkable!

The trick is to set the end of off-peak to your time of scheduled departure. Though be careful restoring UI afterwards as the blue/grey button state needs to be toggled, as well as switching back to Scheduled Charging view.

A few hours at 100% if the pack isn't too hot won't be too bad.

Maybe I missed something, but how do you set the END of off peak (aka start of peak) time?

You can’t. It’s pants!
i set start/finish timers in my Zappi and nothing in the car

how best to do this?

I’ve tried : eco++ mode in the zappi, then scheduled boost mode for octopus go hours. That charges a max of 4 hours finishing at 04:30.

I could set a scheduled boost to finish eg at 10am in OPs example but when to set the start? Do you have to guess based on charge level, charge speed and allow a bit for losses?

also seems to cancel the scheduled boost when I unplug?

I think maybe for that kind of full control something like Teslafi would be better as it connects to the car so knows it’s state of charge (at least until Tesla eventually adds such a basic feature)

Last edited:
how best to do this?

I’ve tried : eco++ mode in the zappi, then scheduled boost mode for octopus go hours. That charges a max of 4 hours finishing at 04:30.

I could set a scheduled boost to finish eg at 10am in OPs example but when to set the start? Do you have to guess based on charge level, charge speed and allow a bit for losses?

also seems to cancel the scheduled boost when I unplug?

I think maybe for that kind of full control something like Teslafi would be better as it connects to the car so knows it’s state of charge (at least until Tesla eventually adds such a basic feature)
Yes, it‘s a guessing game. Octopus Go will give you about 28 Kwh or roughly 100 miles+ In 4 hours, anything more would have to come from peak rate. From empty it would take 3 off-peak nights to fully charge.
unplugging shouldnt cancel a Zappi boost timer Unless you unplug during the boost I guess. Mine have stayed active for months though I don’t use them during spring and summer because of solar availability.

I just checked my car and the settings for this are very confusing. I can set it to start charging at a time it seems, it's set for 8 pm (end of the later peak time). That's clear, but not so useful for me. Then I can tell it to be fully charged by 6 am which provides a setting for "end of peak time" which I've set at 5 pm, the start of the later peak rate time. It is around 4 pm. What can I expect my car to do??? When will it start charging and when will it end charging? Will it do this repeatedly or just one time?

I think they should have a setting for on/off peak rate black out or whatever term is appropriate. Tesla seems to prefer to emphasize the off-peak term. So a check box somewhere that enables peak/off peak control. When this control is on a setting of the start and stop peak times could be entered. The setting for scheduled departure time is not really related to peak charging times. While they are all charging, they are otherwise not really related.

I just checked my car and the settings for this are very confusing. I can set it to start charging at a time it seems, it's set for 8 pm (end of the later peak time). That's clear, but not so useful for me. Then I can tell it to be fully charged by 6 am which provides a setting for "end of peak time" which I've set at 5 pm, the start of the later peak rate time. It is around 4 pm. What can I expect my car to do??? When will it start charging and when will it end charging? Will it do this repeatedly or just one time?

I think they should have a setting for on/off peak rate black out or whatever term is appropriate. Tesla seems to prefer to emphasize the off-peak term. So a check box somewhere that enables peak/off peak control. When this control is on a setting of the start and stop peak times could be entered. The setting for scheduled departure time is not really related to peak charging times. While they are all charging, they are otherwise not really related.
You can set the start time OR the end time but not both (I know... don’t blame me). Yes it’s confusing.

So if you’re charging on an off peak rate and you don’t want to go into the peak period you need to set your percentage accordingly. On my SR+ I can add max of about 56% during my cheap rate so I just make sure that if I have say 30% already I don’t set the battery level to any more than 86%.

The only way that I've seen others do to "control" the stop time (to ensure you only charge at cheaper evening rate) is set the start time as normal but then judge how much juice you want to put in the car in the time you are allowing and reset the max charge level to suit.

Say I currently have 30% SoC and I've set the start time to 00:30 - I want it to stop at 04:30 - 4 hours
My car takes an hour to add 10% charge
Set max charge level to 70%
It should reach 70% in about 4 hours so by 04:30 it's "full" and stops charging.

Next night set max charge to whatever you like and it will be less than 4 hours to complete the charge.
Of course if you drive every day then you set your max charge to current SoC plus 40%

You can use the car's charge setting or via the Tesla App.

Im driving a Zoe whilst my SR+ is in for crash damage (truck reversed into parked M3) and you can set start and stop times for charging and different times for pre-heating. Can be programed on daily or weekly basis.
So why can't Tesla add these simple basic functions?
Strangly you can't set maximum charge level. It just charges to 100% and its a Li-NMC battery that has a warranty of <75% in 8 years!
It seems Tesla are behind on some EV things...

Last edited:
Im driving a Zoe whilst my SR+ is in for crash damage (truck reversed into parked M3) and you can set start and stop times for charging and different times for pre-heating. Can be programed on daily or weekly basis.
Strangly you can't set maximum charge level. It just charges to 100% and its a Li-NMC battery that has a warranty of <75% in 8 years!

yep. That would be great

- start charging at X. Stop by Y (for off peak pricing)
- preheat cabin/battery to be ready to leave by Z

if you want a full battery you just turn the timer off or just use start/end timer and it handles the rest based on desired soc

Why have simple when you can have AI... sadly the AI has learning difficulties 😂
all it needs is proper simple on/off timer. How hard can that be...