Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule Charge, What am I doing wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im driving a Zoe whilst my SR+ is in for crash damage (truck reversed into parked M3)
Strangly you can't set maximum charge level. It just charges to 100% and its a Li-NMC battery that has a warranty of <75% in 8 years!
It seems Tesla are behind on some EV things...

Maybe the Zoe has a big battery buffer and what shows as 100% is really more like 90%.

I don't think the ZOE has (much of) a top buffer because regen breaking only works when it below 93% SoC
I normally only charge mu SR+ to 80%, but maybe Elon is right that charging to 90% won't hurt the battery??

It's getting the best balance of range/capability versus potential life of the pack. Elon Musk, who we must assume is well informed on this (!) suggested 90% and 90% is the top of the "daily" range on the screen graphic. However, this does not discount the likelihood of a lower daily charging limit being at least slightly more beneficial to the long term health of the battery. If Tesla "insisted" that we all only routinely charge to 80% they would be criticised for effectively reducing the daily range of the car in comparison to other makes. I also routinely tend to charge less than 90% but occasionally will go above and would not be worried about hitting 100% if I really thought it was necessary (probably only 3 times since I've owned that car).

Im driving a Zoe whilst my SR+ is in for crash damage (truck reversed into parked M3) and you can set start and stop times for charging and different times for pre-heating. Can be programed on daily or weekly basis.
So why can't Tesla add these simple basic functions?
Strangly you can't set maximum charge level. It just charges to 100% and its a Li-NMC battery that has a warranty of <75% in 8 years!
It seems Tesla are behind on some EV things...

I know, it's quite pathetic really, we had a Zoe in 2016 and they were first manufactured early 2014. There are work arounds of course like calculating how many % it needs to charge for at X kW and setting the finish % but it shouldn't really be necessary. Tesla wastes too much time with games and other crap when they should be fixing simple stuff like this.

I have the myenergi app for the Zappi set to Eco+ and Scheduled and set all timers in the app, haven't touched the Tesla timers at all - sounds confusing to me anyway!
I just got my car today and this is the last thing I need to work out - I've done what you have through the myenergi App so we'll see what happens overnight!

For anyone without a Zappi charger, I've been using the Jedlix app and that seems to work well. You link it to your car, set your cheap rate period and it just gets on with charging the car starting and stopping so you only charge in the right window - although you can override it if you want anyway.

I have it set up to immediately charge to 30% if the car is lower than that when I plug in as well. In fact the only real problem I've found is that despite allowing you to set the desired charge level in the app it always gets overridden by the car's settings.

Sadly they're not currently partnered with any energy companies in the UK, on the continent they will charge your vehicle any time prices are low - if there is an excess of solar mid afternoon for example. Then again, that's not a scenario that's likely to come up here any time soon anyway.

Reactions: Schumpeter